Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2, Roland PK25, Cakewalk Sonar Channel Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basspig

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Kronos 2, Roland PK25, Cakewalk Sonar Channel Problem Reply with quote

Having a weird problem when I try to record. But first, I need to describe the hardware configuration:

Kronos 2 - 88, with Roland PK25 pedal board connected to MIDI IN on the Kronos 2.
Kronos 2 USB connected to Windows PC running Cakewalk Sonar.

Note that the Kronos Keyboard is MIDI ch 1 and the PK25 is MIDI ch 2.

In Cakewalk Sonar, the input device is set to Kronos Sound MIDI channel 1 for the Input device.
The output for the track is also Kronos Sound and whatever channel and bank I need for a particular instrument.

The pedals are acting like they are on MIDI ch 1, as playing them OR the keyboard results in the same instrument playing (on the pedals the velocity is fixed at 120, so very loud if my foot comes to rest on one).

As long as the Cakewalk input is not on MIDI Omni, it should NOT be hearing the pedals.

I thought I could record a few notes and then look at their properties to determine what channel they are coming in on, but as soon as I stop recording, the pedal notes disappear or a phantom notes that only appear on the piano roll view while recording. They vanish when recording stops, so there's no evidence to analyze where that stream is coming from and on what channel. Driving me nuts all evening!

I'm wondering if one of the experts here with DAW experience have an idea as to how this is happening and how to configure the setup so that only the keyboard is heard when a Cakewalk input track is set to Kronos sound MIDI 1 only?
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience on some daw that while monitoring live through, there is no filter of channels. Don't remember about Sonar.

I have both Sonar Artist 2015, and now run Cakewalk by Bandlab.

EDIT: I tested and neither of these above send echo/monitor through on other channel that selected, if one is selected. So point towards that out from Kronos might have merged the two to same channel as set for outgoing.

Looking at midi list view you should see what events are on certain channel or if incoming already at channel 1 the lot.

But a really good troubleshooting plugin is midi monitor on incoming like this one, not sure but Tencrazy.com has been gone for some time.
http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

If you never downloaded PortDiag and TrackDiag pm me and I will see if I have installers left.

Or just look for midi filter shipped as mfx plugin in your install.

It might be that Kronos send everything on the set channel and does not do midi thru properly?
So culprit might be there if overlooked.

But midi monitor will tell.
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice utility, very much like the MIDI monitor built into my Kurzweil K2600RS, however, when Kronos is in COMBI mode and I am playing into Cakewalk, only the keyboard registers notes on the LivePortDIAG program. The pedals are audible and when Cakewalk is in record mode, they appear in RED on the piano roll view WHILE recording ONLY, but vanish when I stop recording. LivePortDIAG does not register any incoming MIDI data in this situation.

Which begs the question, how is Cakewalk "recording" phantom notes from the pedals when no MIDI data is detected by LivePortDIAG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: