Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading from v1.00 to 2.41 using Gotek ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain.cookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Upgrading from v1.00 to 2.41 using Gotek ? Reply with quote

Hello !

Anyone has experience in upgrading their vanilla-Trinity to v2.41 from a Gotek flashed with HxC ? Floppy drive is dead and I would like to upgrade the OS as well.

Looking for the HFE equivalent of the IMG files that are required for the update.
1,474,644 is non-standard and I can only read disk #2 with WinImage (contains the v94.001 file).

Thanks for your feedback !

Fred
captain.cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've successfully finished the repair of the Trinity few weeks ago.

I do confirm that you can update the OS from 1.00 to 2.41 using the Gotek, flashed with HxC and the special non-gated configuration.

PM me would you need more info.

Regards,

Fred
Teklas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Gotek emulator and Trinity Pro X version 2.0.0

I am willing to upgrade to OS 2.4.1. I have learned from Korg tech support how to do it with disks.

However, I do not have a floppy disk drive anymore but the USB emulator. There is no issue with data, I can convert the floppy data to be used in the emulator. But here comes the big problem. The emulator does not read disk changes. When I do change floppy disk number in the emulator (from 000 to 001) the disk mode still shows floppy 0 even after touching the screen or going to another mode and going back to disk mode. It seems the emulator is not working with disk changes.

So, how did work for you? How did you update the OS using Gotek? Don't you have the issue that the emulator is not recognizing disk changes?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Teklas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real concern is to get stuck when system will ask to charge disk 2 as emulator is not recognizing disk changes.
captain.cookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Teklas,

Before going any further, can you please confirm your USB emulator is flashed with HxC, not FlashFloppy ?
The LED will show "HxC" or "FF" without any stick.

If it's FlashFloppy, then I can't tell.
If it's HxC, this issue with the disk change is well-known :
https://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2045

Before proceeding with the OS upgrade, I did test the floppy change successfully of course. I suggest once the reconfiguration is done to also do the test.

In order to have the disk change work, you'll need a special configuration file that enables non gated mode. You can generate the file directly on the HxC website : https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/, be sure to click the non gated mode in the Floppy Interface section.

Fred
Teklas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to install back a new floppy drive because I had some issues with the emulator not recognizing disk change.

However, I cannot update to 2.4.1 from 2.0.0 because simply I cannot make the disks needed. How did you get it?

I have followed all the steps from Korg USA to make the disks to update the OS. The instructions and everything is here, at the bottom where it says click here for previous versions

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/1/213/3294/

The instructions are the following:

Quote:
There are 2 compressed (.img) files in the Trin241 folder:

- V241_1.img - The compressed O.S. information for Disk 1
- V241_2.img - The compressed O.S. information for Disk 2

These files have been compressed to allow use and transfer freely in the
PC environment. Each of these files needs to be decompressed and placed
on a seperate disk. Included in the foler is the decompression tool,
"Img2Dsk.exe".

To make the disks:

1. Click on the "Dsk241_1.bat" file. A DOS window will open.
2. Insert a HD 1.44 Mb disk (labeled "Disk 1" for reference) into the computer's drive.
3. Press Enter. The computer will format the disk.

When the disk format is completed, the DOS screen will ask
"Volume Label <11>?

4. Press ENTER to bypass this. You will then be asked to "Format another (Y/N)?
5. Type N and press ENTER

Img2dsk will automatically begin to write the decompressed file to the disk.
When the utility is finished, you will be prompte the "Image to Disk is completed."

6. Close the DOS window.

For disk 2, Click on Dsk241_2.bat and follow steps 2 - 6 again.

I got stuck in step number 5. After typing N and pressing ENTER, the DOS window closes itself and nothing else happens. Img2dsk is not writing any automatically. When I do double click in the Img2dsk itself in the folder, I get a message saying "This app cannot run on your PC".

I am wondering if the app does not work on my Windows as it is Windows 10. The instructions says in the readme text: File Conversion Instructions (Win 95',98, NT).

How did you get the update with a newer Windows?
captain.cookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Teklas,

I strongly suggest you flash your Gotek with HxC and apply the non-gated configuration so that you have a 21st century configuration !

As for the 2 OS disks, I had a friend run an VM DOS machine to generate the raw disk images as Img2dsk is not working under Windows CMD.
At first, I tried to trick it with DiskImage but this would also not work as the format of the floppies is not standard.

With the generated RAW images, I did convert them to be used by the Gotek.

Fred
syevad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: os via gotek works fine Reply with quote

The Hxc firmware versions 3.5 and above (since September 2020) allows for Image-Less mode - it makes everything much easier including loading the OS onto the Trinity. I've simply made the images of the 2 floppies and then loaded into the first 2 floppy partitions using Rufus (also WinImage or similar will do).
Beware that the letter allocations of the drives in Windows is different than the one used in the Trinity...after the first disk the system ask for the second floppy - with the Gotek is just a question of clicking the advance floppy button but I had to press the button 10 times (so the second floppy was in the 11th floppy partition).
luckyluca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: os via gotek works fine Reply with quote

syevad wrote:
The Hxc firmware versions 3.5 and above (since September 2020) allows for Image-Less mode - it makes everything much easier including loading the OS onto the Trinity. I've simply made the images of the 2 floppies and then loaded into the first 2 floppy partitions using Rufus (also WinImage or similar will do).
Beware that the letter allocations of the drives in Windows is different than the one used in the Trinity...after the first disk the system ask for the second floppy - with the Gotek is just a question of clicking the advance floppy button but I had to press the button 10 times (so the second floppy was in the 11th floppy partition).

i’m new to the Trinity, I’d like to upgrade a Trinity from v1 to 2.4.1 as well.
Would a simple option like this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Floppy-Drive-USB-Emulator-Simulation-1-44MB-For-YAMAHA-Disklavier-GOTEK-/134066219280?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

in conjunction with purchasing the default hxc firmware allow installing the os with disk changing?
how should jumpers be set?

thanks!
Drummond

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone please explain to me what is the difference between using hxc firmware and using the gotek with the regular factory firmware? I have a gotek and I partition the pendrive in 100 virtual floppies, copy the files to the virtual disks and load into trinity. I installed a switch connecting pins 33 and 34 in gotek when pressed, so trinity receives a ready signal when I push the switch and therefore can change virtual floppies without restarting trinity. Which would be the advantage if I flashed hxc?
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
luckyluca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
Could someone please explain to me what is the difference between using hxc firmware and using the gotek with the regular factory firmware? I have a gotek and I partition the pendrive in 100 virtual floppies, copy the files to the virtual disks and load into trinity. I installed a switch connecting pins 33 and 34 in gotek when pressed, so trinity receives a ready signal when I push the switch and therefore can change virtual floppies without restarting trinity. Which would be the advantage if I flashed hxc?

Have you tried updating the os with your setup?
Is it using flashfloppy, and what’s the jumper configuration?
Best
Drummond

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckyluca wrote:
Best

No, I bought mine used with the latest version already. And I'm not sure about the jumper configuration. It came with the usb floopy already and all I did was connect the pins so I could change the disk without having to restart. The jumpers remained just as they were before.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
luckyluca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
luckyluca wrote:
Best

No, I bought mine used with the latest version already. And I'm not sure about the jumper configuration. It came with the usb floopy already and all I did was connect the pins so I could change the disk without having to restart. The jumpers remained just as they were before.

Hi, I just placed an order for a Trinity Pro with solo-tri with 2.41.
I'm so excited.

I'm planning to buy a gotek floppy usb emulator mounting flashfloppy and replace the floppy disk as soon as it arrives.

Could a kind soul kindly share the usb-key image with me, and config files to get it to work on the Trinity?
Also the jumper configuration.

Many thanks!
Can't wait for the Trinity to arrive, the good old lady.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: