Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-2S housing buzz? Solutions? Anyone else with this problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-MAG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: SV-2S housing buzz? Solutions? Anyone else with this problem Reply with quote

I just got an open box/demo SV-2s 73 key. I am having an intermittent buzz or noise sound only on certain patches and note combinations. When using the built in speakers. If I play notes and get the buzz or noise I can place my hand on the top of the housing near the right speaker play the same notes/velocity and I do not hear the same buzz or noise essentially dampening the cabinet. It is pretty consistent when the same notes and velocity are played per patch.But inconsistent when playing across the keyboard and when buzz pops up after playing through a song it is quite disappointing. I don't have much experience with keyboards with built in speakers. Does this happen to anyone else? Does this sound like a defect or is this type of thing something that can be remedied? I don't really want to send it back but it bothered me right out of the gate. I considered trying some moon gel from a snare drum or tape but its brand new and Im thinking it should not do this. Any suggestions or anyone have experience with this issue. I believe I have a 7 day window for return.
Thanks in advance
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabinet resonances and vibrations arising from built in speakers are difficult to eradicate completely, since there are so many different parts in the keyboard's internals that can be excited by the vibrations caused by the movement of the air driven by the speakers, and all of the vibrations have to be damped down somehow. The manufacturers go to great pains to avoid parts vibrating against each other and causing the buzzes you're hearing, but everything needs to be just so for it all to work as intended. It may be a case of one of the cabinet screws not being quite as tight as it needs to be, so checking for loose screws in the base might be something you could try, but only if you have a screwdriver that fits snugly, or even putting a thin piece of card under one of the feet might be sufficient. If that doesn't work, then it will still be under warranty for repair or return.

E-MAG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Thank You for your reply and the info!
E-MAG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Vibration continues, please share your opinion? Reply with quote

Youtube link for buzz example
https://youtu.be/RObPV78HYxk
https://youtu.be/RObPV78HYxk
I found that the vibration on my SV-2S is centered around the power supply cable port, where it is attached to the chassis or housing of the piano. there are two screws that hold either side. I have found that when I move the plug up it stops the vibration (demonstrated in youtube link) and that when the screws are set too tight or too loose that the vibration happens. I thought maybe the plug wasnt pushed in far enough. or that the chassis mount angles it down. I put the plug as far as it goes and I was able to finesse the screws to a happy medium where the buzzing will occur much less(almost never). My main question (apologies for asking again) Would units leave a factory with the potential for this cabinet resonance to happen or are they engineered to be without these vibrations/buzzing and buttoned up tight. I only ask because I am haunted by my purchase of a demo or returned unit (worried that it was damaged or returned for this very issue) and wondering if it is truly a defect or maybe these types of noises are common in the most factory fresh pristine unit. It was cosmetically perfect when unboxed and the box did not have any major damage.

Many Thanks in Advance
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having listened to the sound in the video, I have to say I cannot hear any vibration type noise, nor any distinct changes to the timbre when your hand is placed on the cabinet or the power connector. It may that the recording device didn't pick the noise up or it could be my ears aren't up to it. There is a slight growly dissonance there, but I can also hear that through headphones on the Kronos playing a very similar EP sound. The other studio keyboards are 4 hours drive away at the moment.
E-MAG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks For listening Reply with quote

I think the adjustment of the screws that hold the power supply to the housing needed to be slightly backed off from very tight.. seems like a weird solution but it seems to have worked. There was never any buzzing or vibration noise in my headphones or line out. Only coming from a vibration in the housing or cabinet.
I will keep my fingers crossed
Thanks for taking another look, much appreciated!
Lou Sevens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am a long time Korg fan- just rejoined. I am considering getting the SV2s (my favorite Korg item ever was my Korg SG piano module from '9Cool.

I had a similar problem- on a Electrvoice XA90- I think it is called powered speaker.

A certain frequency (it was F2) made the speaker rattle- I found out it was a screw that was not needed- I removed it and did not have the problem.

From a post in this thread it sounds similar -perhaps the screw being looser and vibrating
RichDoesMusic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue when my SV-2 first arrived and after a lot of trial and error with the screws etc. I gave up and sent it back to Korg. They replaced the speaker in question and added more anti-vibration tape internally. It came back three weeks later and I've never had the same issue again. Smile

Something to consider if this happens to you. Apparently it's a known fault.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-2 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: