Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What affordable amp or monitors should I get for the SV-1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matewan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: What affordable amp or monitors should I get for the SV-1? Reply with quote

I'm more of a guitarist so I usually run my SV-1 through a guitar amp but I have to admit it sounds pretty bad. I finally got a set of decent IEMs and after using that directly into the SV-1 I noticed a lot of sounds are distorted or just don't sound right with the guitar amp.

I know almost nothing about keyboard amps or monitors. I'm also a bit confused about how wiring them up works. For the guitar and guitar amps I always use a 1/4" jack but I noticed there are a couple different ports on the back of the SV-1.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar amp will of course be mono, whilst most of the SV-1 sounds are best heard using stereo headphones or a stereo amp and speakers.

Another possible issue might be caused by the SV-1 Line Out signal levels being much higher than from a guitar, leading to possible overload of the preamp circuits in the guitar amp. If the guitar amp has a line level input, try using that to try to reduce distortion.

Ultimately, however, a stereo system is the way to go for the SV-1. Use the L and R Line Outs on the SV-1 to connect to the L and R channels on a stereo amplifier. The 1/4" Line Out jacks on the SV-1 are unbalanced i.e. there is a signal and ground connection (tip and sleeve) (note on some keyboards e.g. the Kronos, the 1/4" jacks are balanced, but this is not the case on the SV-1). The XLR outputs carry the same signals, but these are balanced and have a higher output level but, to make best use of these, the amplifier needs to be capable of accepting these balanced signals. In the XLR connectors, there are three connections for balanced signals, ground and signal +ve and signal -ve. The two signal lines carry equal and opposite signals, and hence why they are referred to as balanced. This helps to reduce the effects of interference pickup by the audio cables. 1/4" jacks can be used for balanced signals, but these need to be of the TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) variety. In the SV-1 case, cables with XLR connectors on one end and TRS 1/4" jacks on the other might be appropriate, if the amp supports this.

Not sure what to suggest regarding affordable amps and speakers, since I don't know what the budget and other requirements are (e.g. home studio or stage). Needless to say, get the best you can for the money, which might mean going for a second-hand system, but giving it a good sound test before parting with your money. If you have an existing Hi Fi stereo system, try using the CD or Aux inputs on that, to get some idea of the improvement that stereo might give over mono.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: