Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liking the i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i3 (new - 2020 model)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backpool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Liking the i3 Reply with quote

Having had an EK50 - and comparing the spec, it took me a while to decide if i would like the differences.
Have to say it was worth the move up, to gain more workstation features.
There are even more functions though which require 'shift' which is a pity but hopefully if this could be resolved with a simple pedal function, then that would be a big bonus.
There are a couple of bits i do miss from the EK
A music rest ( or provision for one ) even a couple of standard holes in the body to take a regular Korg music rest if you choose to use one would be great.
I use the i3 as a lower board on a rig, so it's not a big deal, but if i use it 'stand alone' then it would be a problem. Given it is an 'arranger/workstation' combo then reading dots is often the case, well for me.
I also miss the digital keypad and decals on the case for the Cats. I suppose they wanted to make it look 'sleek' and stay away from a basic arranger look, but for me this is important. On a more expensive PA you of course can see more on screen, so this is where the decals and pad came in handy.
I have done my own Style and sound set lists and laminated them, which is helping. Of course once things are saved to set lists, then it's fine.

Style editing is just GREAT and so easy with dedicated part buttons, ( no need to go into menus ) and being able to add style effects easily is a real bonus

Value for money and portability is just great and i really think korg have done well with this model

Keith
musicmaker84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still got my EK, although I moved up to the PA 700 within 2 months or so of owning the EK due to the hanging notes problem (which was solved by detaching the sustain pedal for some reason). Never returned the EK and took it to my workplace. Since Covid, I haven't returned and played the EK (I hope it's still there and the batteries haven't leaked yet).

I love the PA 700 for a variety of reasons, but I also miss the simplicity of the EK.

Hence, I have been eyeing the i3 as a "lower manual" or even as a board I just get out when the mood strikes me.

Is the Ensemble function the same as on the EK? I was never able to change the style of harmonization. It seemed hardwired with the styles. That was another major letdown when using the EK. How is it solved with the i3?
Backpool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Musicmaker84 - Not sure, but i recon harmony is the same, its not a feature I use myself. It seems to be the very same OS as the EK.
I tend to use the i3 with my Yamaha for additional lead voices on the fly, which is great. i do like the fact it has 4 style performance sets unlike the EK for when i use it 'stand alone'

It is more difficult to use on the fly than the EK, especially given that 'shift' is needed for basic functions like part mute/activate...etc.
So I am living in hope this becomes a pedal function, that in my view would be a real game changer and would be useful on all the other models sharing this OS where dual purpose button functions are employed.

The best feature is the easy style editing....with every part available at the touch of a button, no buried menus!

I do really miss the keypad for getting to where i want, ( unlike a PA where you get more on the screen and dont need one ) it would have been a real bonus and if they ever did another i3 version with a keypad included then I would have it in a heartbeat!

No ....value for money and everything else about it ...this IMHO is a winner and with a little bit of tweaking it could be even better. ideal if your not into messing with settings etc and just want to 'play' ....just great ...
Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i3 (new - 2020 model) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: