Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Sounds from the M1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megawilsound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Strange Sounds from the M1 Reply with quote

Hi all

I just got my self a second-hand M1.

There is a digital type sound that plays all on its own, without playing the keys.

I have provided a link to a wave file of this sound.

I have recapped the M1 so that is not the issue.

I am wondering if it is one of the ROM chips?

When I got it it did not have any of the soundbanks, so I did a Sysex reinstall, they all sound as they should.

Any info on what could be causing this issue would be good appreciated.

The link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uKoVF9QppKaiO1ayvaWoVAMpE0sv8KDZ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Megawilsound
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Strange Sounds from the M1 Reply with quote

Hi there,

so you said you already have recapped the synth - does that mean the PSU as well as the mainboard? I had a M1 with a leaking electrolytic capacitor (C32) where the acid crept under the ADC plus one pcb trace was disrupted by the acid! Check that if you haven't already...

Have you measured the battery's voltage? Maybe the coin cell needs to be replaced (it's already mounted in a holder). After a battery swap you should initialize the synth:

While pressing and holding the switches [INT], [CARD] and [COMBI] and then powering ON the synth the ROM version is indicated on the LCD screen and ALL data in the M1 are INITIALIZED!

Now reload the factory sounds or your own sound set via Midi from a computer.

I don't think it has anything to do with (one of) the ROM chips.

The latest firmware for the M1 (not the EX version) is v. 1.9
Megawilsound

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Strange Sounds from the M1 Reply with quote

Hi the_crimson_thunder

Yes, I recapped the PSU and replaced the battery.

I spoke with a keyboard tech and was told it was most likely a faulty OP Amp I have replaced it with a new one, however, I can not test it as the PSU is not putting out the right voltages so I am looking to get this one fixed, another from a dead M1 or a modern replacement if I can find one.

Megawilsound
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Strange Sounds from the M1 Reply with quote

How did you measure the psu's voltage?

Since it is a switching power unit you can't measure its output voltages 'stand-alone'! Those psu's do need a certain minimum load for proper working. You must connect it to the M1's mainboard, then measure the output voltages...

Hth

Last edited by the_crimson_thunder on Tue May 11, 2021 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: