Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG KRONOS or Waiting???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly, I do not think there will be any NEW Flagship this year at all,
Covid 19 is the reason.

It,s hard to make anything this days.

Car manufacturer is realy DOWN,
Also the KORG ITALY team is down i think.

There will be some dramatic changees in this.

Yamaha is bigger, so they can stand up more than KORG.

Just see how big theis building in Frankfurt is, And BOOTH for poor KORG.

So we will see and fallow in the end of summer.

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
entonio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is NAMM even happening?
I'm eager to spend a large sum on a Korg workstation after having been away from these things a long while, but it'll have to be the latest and grandest, with all the creature comforts. Either the Kronos's swan song or the Next Huge Thing. I've decided I'll only get it in 2021, but it would be nice to have some teaser in the mean time.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a post I make about every year or two when someone legitimately wishes for an uodate to the Korons - but where I feel I for one have to remind myself of the power of, in my case, the OASYS.

I own it 15 years - and perhaps know well about 10 - 15% of it.

For Kronos owners here - just go and read Page 331 of the Kronos Parameter Guide, on the basis of what the MOD-7 synthesizer is. That's just one aspect of it - and - read that over view and you'll realise or remember - it's a _staggering_ synthesizer that frankly can offer anything and everything you'd ever want in a sound design capacity. I mean, it's stunning. Still!

The likes of the Kronos is a little lacklustre in its appearance and I think that's got something to do with the fact that by now, most view the Kronos as a kind of souped up M1, and that's about it. In truth it's a vast production environment.

Just thinking about it's effects - 16 effects processors, and 185 algorithms. That's mind blowing!

And as just one small example - nobody would really regard the OASYS as a 'pianos' kind of keyboard - but just to challenge myself I recently worked on a 4-layer Render Rhodes program using the OASYS HD1 Rhodes piano samples - and with a bit of careful programming, and then the application of simply stunning amp simulation, overdrive, chorus, phaser and reverbs; I created for myself a Rhodes program so gorgeous that I just couldn't stop playing it for hours on end.

The OASYS and Kronos are unfathomably deep. Each and every aspect of it is uncompromised, and uncompromising on its own merits. The sum total of all of that across its myriad of synth engines, tone-wheel organ, pianos, effects, vector synthesis, wave sequencing, sequencers, LFOs, AMS, Dynamic Midi and on and on - means - there really isn't a limit to what you can do with either of these beasts. OASYS and Kronos are, still, the most sophisticated workstations ever concieved - and I include the likes of the Fairlight - and the new Fantom - in that comparison.

I understand all too well the desire - and legitimacy - of wanting something new and fresh - but I urge you to browse through the Kronos manuals every so often to remind yourself of the endless possibilities within the Kronos as is. It is "reinventable" for any of us - over and over - because there is that much to it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to joust with Kevin. its all in fun

when it pertains to music and taste, and expression, we are similar, while being somewhat different.

I rarely look at the 2000 page manual. I don't need to.

oasys and kronos are sophisticated and versatile, bringing out the best in a musician. I completed/recorded my 77th original song yesterday.

all of them 100% kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entonio wrote:
Is NAMM even happening?
I'm eager to spend a large sum on a Korg workstation after having been away from these things a long while, but it'll have to be the latest and grandest, with all the creature comforts. Either the Kronos's swan song or the Next Huge Thing. I've decided I'll only get it in 2021, but it would be nice to have some teaser in the mean time.

I notice that many think there is always some shiny new thing around the corner.

that has been the mantra for almost 4 years.

if you study korg, and their new products, you can plainly see their priorities.

if you waited, this long, sure, wait until NAMM. Unfortunately, it will not be like a NAMM 2020 or a NAMM 2019.

or just think of all the time you could invest in learning and creating great music on an excellent keyboard. that is my priority with my time.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAMM was cancelled this year.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122725

billysynth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t need NAMM anymore, or any other physical collective interaction. Work from home, for many, has been proven to be even more productive.

We have seen, in the last six months, many new releases of both hardware and software from leading manufacturers: Samsung, Apple, Arturia, Tesla, Roland, Moog MGM etc...

Korg? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Here is a new Red Kronos for you...today we have a Silver Kronos...and here is your new Blue coloured Kronos....zzzzzzzzzzzz

Come fanboy.....it’s still the best, no one can beat it....the Complacent King eventually falls....

I will admit though, I have my Kronos slaved to my Oasys and nothing comes close to the polyphony and Super double Combinations I can create...that’s real power playing live. Of course I only use the Oasys Hardware and not that cheap plastic Kronos to control everything.

Get rid of this Cheap Chinese Plastic box and bring back a real Japanese Oasys Hardware version 2 sleek and sexy - oh yes, and increase the price!!

That’s right I want you to increase the price for prestige...

Vas
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much NAMM is for end users, or even retailers?
With 30 years of internet, a bit surprised these exhibition fairs exist.

Some things are about signing binding agreements which only is done and negotiated between 4 eyes?

There is a lot of buzz how video conferences will replace actual meetings IRL and stuff - but think there are important things while people meet face to face. I heard the way of body language you miss are important factors.

Not obvious to us mortals and end users.

But with YT and how you can portray a new line of products with virtually no cost. Send equipment to the right youtubers also etc.

This is probably all good for us end users, maybe retailers too whether to list a line of products or not.

Since NAMM, and other exhibitions, still existed after so many years of internet there is something we miss in reasoning.

Many things changed because of such things as EU's common market, one country would not have exclusive rights to sell in the same manner anymore. You should be able to order from any country.

So old structures of agents in various countries had to changed somehow. Too many intermediate hands before retailer.

But having these huge booths at exhibitions is also about branding probably - showoffs, kind of.
entonio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I notice that many think there is always some shiny new thing around the corner.

Do forgive me for, after many years of being away, I'd prefer to invest my time on a brand new product rather than an end-of-development one.

It's also not a matter of how much untapped potential the Kronos has in it. Judging by all the folks who having been using it expertly for a decade and have only uncovered 20% of the features, it's either a very unintuitive UX or their priorities are just elsewhere. Heck, most people haven't explored the full potential of the Wavestation, why did Korg move forward?

There's a lot of realistic improvements that would justify a Kronos 3 or a new flagship. Korg can either heed that, or clarify right away it isn't planning to, or have a number of people keep waiting and hence not spending their dough on the current product either.

Yeah, if they find the whole wanting a new flagship workstation thing stupid, why not say so politely? And no, releasing the new i3 and the Volcas is not 'saying' anything.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 80% sure that korg will not significantly replace Kronos between now and thru may 2021. best I can estimate.

I think differently, as a song writer. I don't get into achieving every possible function. fact is some of the kronos functions are not worth much time.

that said, purchasing a good condition used kronos is a good '' hedge ''.

and back in the days of covered wagons, its was up to the musician to be productive on a keyboard,,, vs,, hoping the ''technology '' of the keyboard will make it productive.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth wrote:

Get rid of this Cheap Chinese Plastic box and bring back a real Japanese Oasys Hardware version 2 sleek and sexy - oh yes, and increase the price!!

That’s right I want you to increase the price for prestige...

Vas

the Kronos 10th anniversary is around the corner.

I bet Korg will do their predictable marketing, and issue a new color 10th anniversary Kronos.

Plus a free t-shirt !
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting... for Korg to bring their flagship workstation OS design into the 21st century. In particular, do away with the Program/Combi/Global (PCG) data model and start from scratch.

There are too many dependencies that make user customization tedious and prone to side effects. e.g. program edits changing combis, arpeggio edits changing programs, combis and programs added to sequence requiring user resolution of effects, drum patterns derived from arpeggios are too generic an implementation, arpeggios and drum kits stored and referenced as global resources should be optionally saved along with program data to remove that global dependency.

This is from the perspective of a Triton owner, but I believe these same "features" have been substantially inherited by the Kronos (and Krome and Kross) as well.

Last edited by bpoodoo on Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpoodoo wrote:

There are too many dependencies that make user customization tedious and prone to side effects. e.g. program edits changing combis, arpeggio edits changing programs, combis and programs added to sequence requiring user resolution of effects, drum patterns derived from arpeggios are too generic an implementation, arpeggios and drum kits stored and referenced as global resources should be optionally saved along with program data to remove that global dependency.

Nordlead solve this elegantly by having 4-part performances copy all parameters from main program memories over, so not a reference to that programs.

And include storing various hardware settings with performance as well.

I haven't looked how far new Nord Wave 2 goes, but would think same good thinking might be there.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
[q

Nordlead solve this elegantly by having 4-part performances copy all parameters from main program memories over, so not a reference to that programs.

And include storing various hardware settings with performance as well.

I haven't looked how far new Nord Wave 2 goes, but would think same good thinking might be there.[/quote]

how many sound engines does the Nord lead have ?
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

how many sound engines does the Nord lead have ?

Nordleads are no workstations, my tip was possibly Nord Wave 2 to get loads of sampler stuff due to that possibly inherited from synths how things are done.

But did not go so deep into Nord Wave 2, since I ordered Wavestate at the time.

If your question was not retorical....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: