Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg PA700 - way to automate stop/restart of takes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhatPound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Korg PA700 - way to automate stop/restart of takes? Reply with quote

Recent owner of Korg PA700.

As I'm not that accurate a player, I seem to spend an awful lot of time in Sequencer mode, when I make a mistake, pressing

Stop record
Record
Multitrack
OK
Play

Which really adds up if you need dozens of takes, over several different tracks. Is there any way of assigning of all of these to a single button? Or a faster way to do a retake?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA700 - way to automate stop/restart of takes? Reply with quote

WhatPound wrote:
Recent owner of Korg PA700.

As I'm not that accurate a player, I seem to spend an awful lot of time in Sequencer mode, when I make a mistake, pressing

Stop record
Record
Multitrack
OK
Play

Which really adds up if you need dozens of takes, over several different tracks. Is there any way of assigning of all of these to a single button? Or a faster way to do a retake?

You do not have to leave the Sequencer Record process every time you complete the recording of a track (whether it is complete or not).

You can simply listen to your recorded stuff while in record and as long as you are in Overdub Mode (instead of Overwrite), not play anything while you are listening, you will not record new material. That is the beauty of MIDI sequencing; it only records MIDI data.

You can select an Auto-Punch feature that will allow you to punch-in/punch-out based on the measure(s) you want to select. I believe that the sequencer goes into 'Overwrite' mode for this feature.

There is also the Event Viewer, where you can edit the wrong notes without having to re-record them. This may make it easier to correct hitting the wrong notes and not have to re-record them again.

If you set the quantize feature up (based on whatever resolution you choose) even the wrong notes may end up in the right timing in the measure and this will make correcting the notes a bit easier.

If you are using Step Sequence entry, then you go in, note by note, and enter them in. This will take longer, but many people record this way. I use the the former mode and just fix anything I may have played incorrectly through the Event Viewer.

You do not need a new track to record a new track. You can do what I described above on the single track and your 'takes' will be in the same track, so to speak. IF you want to combine different 'takes' that are on different tracks, you can use the Copy/Paste mode and copy the parts of each track into a single track, based on the measure(s) that you want to copy.

The sequencer is pretty deep and very usable; I use it all the time to write songs. The touch screen makes it a lot easier as well, even though the sequencer on the PA700 is not a 'piano roll' type system.

I would browse the manual for the sequencer and get more out of it that way.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
WhatPound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA700 - way to automate stop/restart of takes? Reply with quote

Thanks Harry

To be honest i was more thinking of where I am composing a simple piano melody rather than an arrangement, and I make a mistake and stop playing completely.

But I can see the value in keeping the recorder running, and copy/pasting the take that works.

Thanks again
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA700 - way to automate stop/restart of takes? Reply with quote

WhatPound wrote:
Thanks Harry

To be honest i was more thinking of where I am composing a simple piano melody rather than an arrangement, and I make a mistake and stop playing completely.

But I can see the value in keeping the recorder running, and copy/pasting the take that works.

Thanks again

With that added information, you can always go to the measure where you stopped playing and simply append the recording from there. You can fix the mistakes later, if they are simple wrong notes. Anything that is in the wrong timing may need to be recorded again.

The process is pretty much the same as what I described above.

I would add that if you go to a measure to continue recording, make sure that you are not in Overwrite mode. Put the recorder in Overdub mode, so you do not lose what you already recorded. Generally , you will not lost previously recorded data if you start recording after those sections. If you were to start at the beginning of the song in Overwrite mode, the system would automatically delete the data previously recorded in the measure it is at...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
unjazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new PA700 user, let me share my recording experience re "staying in record mode". Whilst convenient, it can be a trap!

For example, at one point, it seemed to me that the sequencer Auto Punch was not working. I had set RecMode to "AutoPnch", set the start and end measures and hit Play/Stop (track 1 is red and ready to record). I play something. Then I hit hit Play/Stop to stop - then did the newbie mistake of immediately hit hit Play/Stop to listen to what I had just recorded - I heard NOTHING of my punched in playing!?

Turns out this was because I was still in "song record mode" and RecMode was still on AutoPnch (rather than Overdub), thus listening back was really just re-recording / auto punching. What I had to do was exit "song record mode" or even quicker (as per the tips in this thread) stay in record mode and simply change the RecMode to Overdub immediately after doing the punch in recording. Then playing back will not erase your work and you can hear what you just recorded via punch in.

Interestingly, when using "pedal punch" recording mode - there is no need to switch to Overdub in order to safely hear your recently punched in work. You can stay in "pedal punch" during playback, and as long as you don't press the pedal to start recording, you will be able to safely playback and hear your punched in work.

All a bit subtle but potentially a gotcha for newbies like me. It certainly had me stumped for a morning. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: