Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using MicroKorg as sound card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Using MicroKorg as sound card Reply with quote

Hi,
I need to throw away my Behringer sound card (don't buy Behringer, at least not things involving audio), which I used simply to have an input for my miniKorg and previously drums.

Can I use the microKorg as main output (to speakers)? And it's 2 input channels as a stereo input for my DJ mixer?

So basically I'm asking about input saturation, and most of all output power.

Thanks Korgers!

P.S. The microKorg is still selling on Korg.com! Now that is one sign of a quality quality product!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Usage of the mK as main output to speakers: no. The outputs are line levels. You can drive a headphone but not speakers. An amplifier in between is needed.

Usage of the 2 input channels. Yes, but...
* The easy way is the audio through mode. Most likely both channels will be mixed to one channel and output in mono mode.
* Using a dedicated synth program, you could set up a dual timbre program, have one timbre using audio 1 and panned left, the other timbre using audio 2 and panned right. Basically the oscillators use the audio inputs. Hence you'll also need the arpeggiator to open the amp section (and long release times) to keep the audio being output. However it makes the synth useless as synth at that moment...

Have fun.
Kharski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for your answer. So yes, I have succesfully tested it, sound and everything seems the same. The question is rather about durability/was it made for this.

So reminder:
I am outputing my DJ mixer to microKorg (Audio thru, stereo works fine, sound quality and level are fine) to my speakers (auto-amps).

For a set/session, no problem -> go for it!
For long term, is this viable? Basically keeping the 2 devices running all the time, as a sound card. The question stems from the fact that they are NOT sound cards. So who knows, maybe they are not meant to be turned on all the time + heat etc.
Do I have to be careful with inputs to the microKorg (or does it have limiters and will handle rough inputs).
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good to hear it works fine. Powered speakers (monitors) obviously work with the mK, as they have a built-in amp.

I'm not sure exactly to what you refer when talking about a sound card. For me a soundcard is a device that let a pc input or output audio. You are using the mK as a mixer between your DJ mixer and the synth itself, but not as a sound card.

Apart from that, the question on reliability/durability is a difficult one to answer. The fact that you use the mK all the time as a go-between device between your DJ Mixer and speakers, I don't see a problem as such for that functionlaity. It is more general, what can you expect from the mK letting it powered on for a long time, no matter what you do with it? Every device has an average lifetime. Not sure what that one was when Korg engineers designed the mK.
For heat, I only would suspect the power supply (adapter), the rest is all 9v DC (stepped down to 3.3V and 5V) to power circuits handling low currents and line levels signals. (There are no amplifiers handling Watts - the whole mK is rated at 6.5W). Concerning the inputs, I believe there are protections, but if you stay with line levels, no issues.

PS. Can't you work the other way around? Bring the output from the mK to the DJ Mixer (it is mixer in the end?) and from there to your speakers? Then you can switch of the mK when not in use.

Bye
Kharski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks again,
I can't do it the other way around since my mini controller (Kontrol S2 Mk1) doesn't have any inputs except mic.
As for durability what I ment by soundcard is simply not having anything else save a dedicated device (the soundcard) up for a long time.

So I guess we'll see, and it would be safer to buy a seperate card (or use the Behringer one for the time being).

Thanks,

CLOSED!
Kharski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK uhm from the manual:
"Settings that will be saved (Global data)
• GLOBAL parameters other than AUDIO IN THRU"

So using the microKorg as a sound card (for daily audio) use is NOT PRACTICAL.

Cheers!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I forgot to mention that.
But on the other hand is not too hard neither. Especially as you seem to intend to start the thing up and keep it running for the whole day Wink
After all, the purpose of the mK is a synth...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: