Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking Advise: buying a used Korg Studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocknpop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Seeking Advise: buying a used Korg Studio Reply with quote

hi all, new member here! Very Happy

I'm looking at buying a used Korg locally. I wanted to ask a few noob questions if you will (please be gentle!).

1- What should I check for when buying this synth?
2- Is $600 a fair price for a used Korg Triton Studio 88 in what seems to be good condition (screen already replaced)?
3- Does the Korg Triton have the same sounds as the M1 and 01w/fd synths? I'm specifically interested in the ubiquitous dyna piano that is in almost every pop song of the 80s/90s.
rocknpop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

1. I'm not aware of specific issues with the Triton Studio. Things to look for are pretty standard across all synths. Take along a good pair of headphones with a 1/4" jack stereo connection or suitable adapter, and your favourite sustain pedal. Look at the general physical condition, scratches, evidence of being gigged, spilt liquids, that sort of thing. Check all of the keys work, and the key action is smooth, with no dropped or broken keys, and that the sound quality is good, without hum, crackles or pops. Check all of the controls work as expected. Some of the buttons may need to be pressed a little harder on a synth of this age, but that's normal.

2. $600 seems a fair price these days if all of the above test results are good-excellent. If anything, used synth prices seem to have risen over recent years, so it might even be considered an investment. Sticky keys, and not very responsive buttons can normally be fixed and, in any case, regular servicing is something that should be considered.

3. The more popular "bread and butter" sounds tend to be carried over from synth to synth, though they tend to evolve slightly along the evolutionary tree. Listen to the sound demos on e.g. YouTube e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrM_HGayOA
and look at the voice name list:
https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/219/1668/
There were a number of expansions available for the Triton Studio, each bringing new sounds to the synth. Check the start-up screen for info on any of these being fitted. Expansions would tend to increase the price, unsuprisingly.

rocknpop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough response, voip! Everything you said makes sense. I’m second guessing the purchase now given it’s a 20 year old synth and it’s available as a vst. I was also looking at a rack version of the board, but I go back to the cheaper option of having a vst.

That said, I do want something I can just turn on and play for inspiration. I heard the keybed of the triton 88 was very good. Might be worth the money if it’s in good condition and everything checks out.
Bri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, not offering advice on buying one, but to say that I just have, and love it! As you mentioned, I too wanted something that would just 'turn on', and to do away with using a pc/mac all together.
As much as I do love soft synths and the wealth of possibilities now open to everyone, I find trawling through endless files, laptops that become stubborn, and everything else a headache that drains any creative notion before its even started.
So yes, more than happy with the Triton and a digital multitrack.

Bri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: