Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving style volume and mute changes for recall during song

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dschultze

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Saving style volume and mute changes for recall during song Reply with quote

Hi All,

I need to mute style tracks and change their volume during a performance but can't seem to figure this out.

So for example:

- I'm using style variation 2 with just the ACC 1 playing and all other style tracks muted.
- Then I want unmute the Drums, Percussion, Bass and ACC 2.
- Then later I want to increase the volume of the drums and add ACC 3

The mixer settings for the style parts seem to only be stored within the style or songbook entry so they're only set when loading the song and can't be recalled dynamically throughout the performance.

Is there a way to recall the style mixer settings mid song?

Thanks all.

Dave
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it cannot be done with Korg pa
Korg pa4x doesn't have feature like registrations (Genos/Tyros) which make it possible.
Kind regards
dschultze

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Dave
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst playing a style....
You can (re)load UPPERs and LOWER sounds (hence volumes) by use of KEYBOARD SETs
If you want to load different set of style ACC volumes/mutes (for example) you can use SONGBOOK.
Grouping SONGBOOK entries in SET LISTs also works well.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Korg would bring back the mute button at the bottom of each slider, as it was on the i30. So direct, so instant.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving style volume and mute changes for recall during s Reply with quote

dschultze wrote:
Hi All,

I need to mute style tracks and change their volume during a performance but can't seem to figure this out.

So for example:

- I'm using style variation 2 with just the ACC 1 playing and all other style tracks muted.
- Then I want unmute the Drums, Percussion, Bass and ACC 2.
- Then later I want to increase the volume of the drums and add ACC 3

The mixer settings for the style parts seem to only be stored within the style or songbook entry so they're only set when loading the song and can't be recalled dynamically throughout the performance.

Is there a way to recall the style mixer settings mid song?

Thanks all.

Yes, you can work on Expression to lower or increase each Style Track for each style Elements and then Save it with Style.
To mute a Style Track in a appropriate Style Elements, you should set the Expression to zero.
Hope that helps and understood your question.

siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving style volume and mute changes for recall during s Reply with quote

dschultze wrote:
.. Is there a way to recall the style mixer settings ...

pawlikp100 wrote:
.. No, it cannot be done with Korg pa. Korg pa4x doesn't have feature like registrations (Genos/Tyros) which make it possible....

Hello Dave,

that's true, unfortunately. There is no way to recall style mixer settings, also expression or songbook are no solutions - style-tracks can't be recalled dynamically and reset throughout the performance.
Specifically, your requirement can not be met to play with three different style performances within one Variation 2.
Maybe for these behavior to use a second variation (Var3) of the style?

The songbook is not suitable for other reasons (see below). Without having to duplicate the style by grouping it into several SetList entries you can do it with two different style performances within variations of one style.

For two different style performances you need a DummySound and a DummyDrumSet, which you create once for all those cases in which you want to play alternately with different muted or active sounds or drum sets within the variations of a style. To create a DummySound go into sound edit, take a sound with one Osc and with volume zero - same for a Dummy-drumset. In play mode also nothing is to hear with that Dummies also if volumes in tracks are set to other values than zero.

Switching between the two style performances of a variation you will create now will be done with touching the parameter "original style sound", that is checked by default and could be unchecked in track
view.

Now in practice for your example "using style variation 2 with just the ACC 1 playing and all other style tracks muted", prepare your Original-Style-Performance for Var2:
Edit your style with style-editor and move Dummy-Sound to Baß, Acc2, Acc3, Acc4 and move Dummy-DrumSet to Drums and Percussions.
Move Sound you want to play to style track Acc1.
Set all volumes - also of Drum, Percussion, Baß, Acc1 - Acc5 - to values that you want to be used in this or next Style-Performance.
Save your Style.
As you are in style record editing done in Style Record mode can be saved by choosing the Write Style command. Its Style Settings will be automatically saved with the Style (including Original Style Settings).

Now prepare Var2 for "then I want unmute the Drums, Percussion, Bass and ACC 2":
Use track view of your Style and move that Drumset you want for Drums und Percussions to Style/Percussion-Tracks. Now you will see that marked "Original Style Sounds" will change to be unmarked!

Move Sounds for Baß and Acc2 to Style-Baß-Track/Style-Acc2-Track.
To make the Sound assignment to the Style tracks effective save the Style Settings by choosing the "Write Current Style Settings" command from the page menu (that is your "non Original Style" performance).
Now try to play your Style Variation2 with Original Style Setting. You will hear only Sound of Acc2, because all other Style-Elements are using Dummy-Sounds (with its Osc set to zero in sound edit).

Now touch marker "original Style Sound" in your track view to be unmarked - and "Non original Style"-Performance with Drum, Percussion, Baß, Acc1 and Acc2 will be played with volumes set in Original Style Settings and sounds as set in Current Style Settings.
Thats all - and so you can play variations of the same style at least with two different Style-Performances - maybe with different Sounds, with different mutet Tracks, with different Drums etc.

What I would like to get in an OS-update - to mark/unmark "OriginalStyleSound" as an assignable Parameter for switch/footswitch!
PS: Songbooks different SetLists with volumes/muted tracks with grouping entries does not work well, because Sb-Entries with entry typ "Style" are made for initializing one single style to be performed.
That means properties of entries are fixed to variations of a single style tracks and can not be changed during performance, because realtime tracks will be loaded and changed to KbdSet#1 each time a sb-entry is selected. That is because Korg is not willing to use function of "StyleToKbdSet" to be applied in same manner as in style play mode - that I also would like to get in an OS-Update!

Why this annoying, automatic change to KbdSet # 1, when StyleToKbdSet" could be used just as variably and for extended applications as in Style Play?

Via Korg support Germany i was informed that, as I suspected, KORG intended that the new Pa models (Pa700, Pa1000 and Pa4X) have no effect on the StyleBook to KBD-SET function on the SongBook function.

The background was that the SongBook should not switch to another style while the game is running, but instead only uses one SB entry and one single style for each music track to be performed.

There is therefore no intention on the part of KORG to undo this in the current models. At least this is my current level of knowledge.

That means customers can not use several styles in a performance within songbook, because each selected sb-entry automatically destroy the settings of the realtime tracks (kbdSets).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: