Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you put your Kronos serial number on eBay?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Would you put your Kronos serial number on eBay? Reply with quote

Hey You Guys!

Is there any reason why you would NOT post your Kronos serial number on eBay if you were selling it?

I've found an advertisement stating "Serial No:- has been photoshopped out for security reasons"

Shocked

EDIT - at risk of causing trouble - link expired - item was not sold.

Last edited by Peas&Carrots on Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a perspective buyer, I would ask for that information. If the seller is reluctant to give that information, I would be a little concerned. The SN is a good indication of the age of the unit.
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I thought.

seems a little dodgy to me!

"Would you like a Kronos Sir? ooooh! nice! - Off the back of a lorry Sir! no questions asked Sir! nudge-nudge-wink-wink!"

Apologies to the seller if you are legitimate...

EDIT apologies also for the Monty Pythonesque language - I am from the UK after all...
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can someone do with a serial number? Order parts?

Someone has a Kronos with serial number 2315. Shocking, I know. There might even be someone worse with a Kronos with serial number 1998. Craziness.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse Kronos SN would be 2020 Shocked
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was stolen, they wouldn't want to show the serial number either...

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in the US, I wouldn't use eBay for an expensive keyboard .

Reverb is better
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in USA, I use the common buy/sell website Craigslist for large items where getting a decent box to ship is problematic, and the value is high, and wait it out if I don't need the money quickly. The site, while nationwide, is sectored by region so I might post a couple hundred miles distance. I sold an 88 key Kronos to a couple who drove around 300 miles (and made a 500 profit, not to mention no fees/etc.)
Conversly, I sold a 73 key Korg Karma keybed on Reverb, packed it extremely well, (a padded soft case within a box) and shipped it - then the buyer wanted me to refund 100 bucks because a handful of keys were broke. I smelled a rat and told him to ship it back - I'd pay the 100 shipping - when all of a sudden he decided he'd keep it.
I always try to sell local even if it means driving a ways on expensive items - that way there's no funny business. I also take lots of pics and in some cases make videos.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in USA, I use the common buy/sell website Craigslist for large items where getting a decent box to ship is problematic, and the value is high, and wait it out if I don't need the money quickly. The site, while nationwide, is sectored by region so I might post a couple hundred miles distance. I sold an 88 key Kronos to a couple who drove around 300 miles (and made a 500 profit, not to mention no fees/etc.)
Conversly, I sold a 73 key Korg Karma keybed on Reverb, packed it extremely well, (a padded soft case within a box) and shipped it - then the buyer wanted me to refund 100 bucks because a handful of keys were broke. I smelled a rat and told him to ship it back - I'd pay the 100 shipping - when all of a sudden he decided he'd keep it.
I always try to sell local even if it means driving a ways on expensive items - that way there's no funny business. I also take lots of pics and in some cases make videos.

ALSO - discourage or eliminate the scammers by spelling out your phone or text number - such as ate oh fore too won ate won.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, CL has been or can be a viable venue. Have caution, though.

The serious problem we have here { SF Bay Area] and other urban places is that crooks use it to cultivate easy marks, and home break ins.

In addition, the prison system actively uses it for their ' creative ' scamming.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

The serious problem we have here { SF Bay Area] and other urban places is that crooks use it to cultivate easy marks, and home break ins.

In addition, the prison system actively uses it for their ' creative ' scamming.

Yes, if you just use your head you'll be fine. That means DO NOT PUBLISH your phone number, as digits anyway, and there's no way in hell a fishy prospective buyer is coming into my home - I have too much expensive stuff it'd be like a candy store if anyone broke in.

I shouldn't even have to say, NEVER let someone send you a check, let you cash it, and have their "shipping agent" pick up the unit. The check will be fake and you'll be f*#ked.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Yes, if you just use your head you'll be fine. That means DO NOT PUBLISH your phone number, as digits anyway, and there's no way in hell a fishy prospective buyer is coming into my home - I have too much expensive stuff it'd be like a candy store if anyone broke in.

I shouldn't even have to say, NEVER let someone send you a check, let you cash it, and have their "shipping agent" pick up the unit. The check will be fake and you'll be f*#ked.
TheLowell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a keybed issue with certain serial numbers on Kronos 1. I'm sure the numbers were quoted on this forum.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLowell wrote:
Wasn't there a keybed issue with certain serial numbers on Kronos 1. I'm sure the numbers were quoted on this forum.

About 9 years ago, Korg finally acknowledged a bad batch K1 product launch. A group of owners complained here, understandably. This went on for 3 months from what I recall.

There were many requests to get the hard serial # data of this group from Korg. But I don't recall they ever where forthcoming. It was all about, get the defect board to Korg service, get it fixed.

There were efforts by owners to estimate the serial # sequence but I wouldn't run to the bank with that.

I have a low serial # K88. From 9 years ago. Its perfectly ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: