Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping a Kronos 2 and a Kronos X identical

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred@callalmeida.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Keeping a Kronos 2 and a Kronos X identical Reply with quote

Does anybody have an older Kronos that they keep identical with a newer one after making changes? I just want to make sure I don’t have to replace my X to accomplish this. And are there any special things to consider when using a thumb drive to back up and restore back and forth?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what OS do you have on your K1 ?

One area to mimic is order of programs and bank location.

Global has a swap bank feature. There is a Korg video on the simple steps.

As far as identical 3rd party samples banks, any diff should be viewable
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you set the date and time on both to be the same, incase you are trying to remember which is the most recent save. The Kronos won't let you overwrite files so you either need to rename or delete what you no longer need. I generally create one folder for everything and move that between machines. And purchased libraries need to be on both machines which requires 2 purchases.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS- the OSs need to be identical. Having the same amount of RAM & SSD storage space will alleviate headaches.
fred@callalmeida.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. Both boards have the OS version 3.1.2 with 3GB of memory and are now set to the same date and time. From what I’ve read on Korg’s website specs they state that the X has 62GB of SSD storage space and the 2 has only 60, so I’m not sure if there’s a way to confirm this. Anyway, I’ll be getting assistance from Dave Champagne of Audora Audio to fix the corruption caused by loading a few of his sounds and song patches and I’ll see what he recommends.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reccomend OS 3.1.3. I highly doubt a 2Gb difference on the SSDs will be an issue. You can check the SSD storage capacities in Disk Mode. Specifically how do you use your Kronos? Live performance? Sampling? Sequencing? Reason for 2? These things can have a bearing on how you deal with data/file management.
fred@callalmeida.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the Kronos 2 and plan to use it for gigging instead of the Kronos X. I want to move the Kronos X to stay at rehearsal space for convenience. I’ll do all my work at home on the Kronos 2 and make a backup on a thumb drive then load the backup on the Kronos X at rehearsal space to make it identical. I was told that if I purchase the EXs17 and 18 bundle from Korg and load it on the Kronos X it will be just like the Kronos 2. Then it will be prepared to load backups back and forth.

I’ve been doing this with my upper keyboards which are Roland Juno Di’s.

This will cost a few bucks, but it will be so nice to have the same setup at rehearsal space, home and live. Hopefully this will work. I expect to get this accomplished by the next show in two weeks.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I am doing. Saves schlepping the boards to and from rehearsal. And you are pretty much ready to go at rehearsal when you walk in the door! Just load up the files from your home setup and you're done. Also you will always Have a back up of sorts. Getting creative with your file/folder naming conventions can help you keep track of whats what. If nothing else you can go by the file date and time creation. I know I have had a few cases where I didn't do file management in a timely manner and couldn't remember if I had done my updates.. I think you also need to get the KORG KRS - Professional Sound Series KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0 for your Kronos X.

From the KRONOS Sound Library Lineup / Shop:

The ”New KRONOS Sound Pack" adds these fresh new sounds to the KRONOS
and KRONOS X.
Note: The "New KRONOS Sound Pack" is intended for the KRONOS and KRONOS X only. These sounds and samples are already included in the new KRONOS (KRONOS2-61/73/8Cool.

If you are not Sampling and/or sequencing you can get away without saving that data. That's where I am at with my setup.
fred@callalmeida.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "New KRONOS Sound Pack" includes the KORG KRS - Professional Sound Series with the KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0 for $249, so I plan to purchase and load it this weekend. I'll create a couple of sound patches and combi’s, add and edit my set list, back it up and place a copy on a thumb drive to load on the other board. Hopefully everything works out and keep you posted.

I’m not sampling and/or sequencing right know so I’m not sure what you mean by not having to save that data. I’m assuming your not doing a full backup and just swapping files which I would like to understand the process and file extension to swap.

Also, what size thumb drive do you use? I currently have a bunch of 16GB drives that I get from the local Staples that I use for my Roland Juno Di that plan to try.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to save and load will be PCG files. That's what I meant by not saving sequencing and sampling data. A "Save All" saves exactly that- sequences user samples, PCGs (which include KARMA, Set Lists, Drum Kits, etc). Saving just PCG files will be faster and create a file that is in the megabyte size range (Disk Mode displays the size of the files). Your thumb drives should be plenty big enough. Be sure to format them in the Kronos as FAT32. Newer PCs running Win10 don't support FAT32 anymore. At least not easily. Not sure about Mac.
Sweat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, the ”New KRONOS Sound Pack" is only necessary if you want to update your older, original Kronos with the latest factory sounds. The Pack is NOT necessary to ensure that sounds from you original Kronos will play correctly on Kronos 2, because of course the Kronos 2 already includes all factory sounds of the original Kronos. However, since factory programs/combis are in different bank locations on the Kronos 2, this could create a challenge. GregC mentioned this above.

This easiest solution is this: If you simply want sounds from your original Kronos to play on Kronos 2, all you need to do is save and transfer the .PCG. Be aware that ALL banks from original Kronos should be saved to the .PCG if your Set List/Combis reference factory program locations.

However, I wanted to fully bring my original Kronos up to date with the Kronos 2, in addition to transferring the .PCG. So this is what I did on my original Kronos:
1 - Save current .PCG !!
1 - Installed the ”New KRONOS Sound Pack".
2 - Installed PRELOAD.PCG from Kronos 2 (containing new factory progam locations) onto original Kronos.
3 - Installed my personal Combi/programs back to an empty bank.
4 - Edited my Combis, remapping timbres to reference new program locations. (A little time consuming.)
5 - Save .PCG !!
6 - Upgraded RAM and SSD
fraserhutch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Installed PRELOAD.PCG from Kronos 2 (containing new factory progam locations) onto original Kronos.
Is that the set installed from KRONOS X/Factory sounds V2 (for KRONOS System v2.1)? Are these the latest programs/combis/etc?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
Re: Installed PRELOAD.PCG from Kronos 2 (containing new factory progam locations) onto original Kronos.
Is that the set installed from KRONOS X/Factory sounds V2 (for KRONOS System v2.1)?
?

lets take care of potential confusion.

to answer your 1st question;

The Kronos 2 PCG Preload is not from the Kronos X.

Those PCG preloads are different. Or have important differences.

Read the above posts to get clear, depending what you want to achieve with your Kronos.
Sweat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
Is that the set installed from KRONOS X/Factory sounds V2 (for KRONOS System v2.1)? Are these the latest programs/combis/etc?

Here I was referring to the version of the preload.pcg file first included with the new Kronos (System v3.0) released in 2014. As we know, this preload.pcg contains a reorder of the factory programs, beginning with A000 Berlin Grand SW2 U.C. Since then, this order of programs has remained the same in preload.pcg through the most recent release KRONOS Titanium (2020).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: