Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K1 vs K2 Filesystem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: K1 vs K2 Filesystem Reply with quote

Anyone have both running the current OS? I know there were major differences in the filesystem structure, in the Program/Combi layouts and content, and I *think* that I’ve read where upgrading a K1 to the latest firmware/OS brings the layout in line with that of the K2?

I’m contemplating picking up a second board so that I don’t have to transport my K2 73 every time I go to rehearse, and may try to find a deal on a K1 if that is the case as I can work up my voices at home and load them via USB.

Thanks in advance.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original, K1, with the latest OS.

I have stubbornly kept the exact or original "program bank order".

Other than that, I can't recall any diff between my K1 and the K2,,, other than a free 3rd party sample lib.

My personal advice is to carefully scrutinize a used K1. Get the total history, etc.
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg. Is there an option in the upgrade process to retain or relocate the banks?

I’ve found a couple of K1’s which *appear* to be well cared for, and which are priced close to where I could almost justify the purchase.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by memory.

there is a Swap Bank feature in Global. I think its in a upper right hand menu pick list. It lets you keep the associated Combis intact.

That was part of an OS update from a few yrs back.

This will also match the " New bank " order which started with the Kronos 2 back in 2015.

are you aware of the key bed issue that plagued an early run of the 2011 models ? It wasn't "all " k1's , only a small %

My k1 , for example did not have any issue.

I have heard of K1's floating around with that defect, and the original owners , for some reason, did not take advantage of the free fix. FYI.
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Greg. I’m aware of the bank swap function, but I guess I’ll have to take a look at the voice names list for the K1 and contrast that to the K2 locations to understand the differences.

I have read about the keybed issues, so thanks for bringing that up also. I’ll have to be sure to ask about this specifically should I choose to go down that path.

Appreciate you!
Sweat

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a second K1 is a great idea. If you want the K1 to have the same Program/Combi layout as a K2, simply save the .PCG of your K2 and install on the K1. Of course, since some EXs multisample libraries may not exist on the K1, programs like 'Berlin Grand' or 'De La Salsa Brass' will not sound. Updating a K1 to the latest OS and firmware provides the bug fixes and latest features like Quick Layer/Split, but extra multisamples libraries that are provided with the K2 (EXs17, EXs18) must be purchased separately with the 'New KRONOS Sound Pack'.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat - that is exactly what I needed to know, thanks! I was under the mistaken belief that the latest update included all of the new content.

I’ll have to hang and exercise patience until I can find another great deal on a K2.

Appreciate it - stay well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: