Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you buy a Korg Pa4X today?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
breeze

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Would you buy a Korg Pa4X today? Reply with quote

Goodmorning everyone,
I would like to buy a pa4x.

The question I would like to ask is: about 5 years after its release, is it worth taking it?
Or is there a risk of finding us with a tool that will be replaced by a new version in a few months?

Needless to say, the new instrument does not upset the previous one and that there are professionals who still perform very well with a pa3x.
But we known that those who, like myself, buy it mainly for pleasure and make a big investment, would like to have a current tool.

I await your opinions.
Thanks
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you if it is a risk worth taking - IMHO it is not a risk at all because it is a superb instrument.

However, no-one knows anything about future models - it's always possible that we might get OS updates before a new model is released.
My personal approach to new models is to (usually) wait for 12-18 months after release - most of the bugs are ironed out by then and very often the price drops a bit too.
So if one is released tomorrow, I would not be rushing to get it (unless it comes with COVID19 vaccine Wink )

Try and get to a retailer so you can try one and spend time looking at youtube and the actual manuals.
Feel free to ask anything you want to about it and we will help.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
breeze

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinion.
I know the keyboard well and it's super!
I had it for a few months but then I sold it.
I believe I will buy it back

Regards
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been already 5years?Wowww
Feels like i bought it last week...
Let me think....hmmm: 1year was already releasd when i bought it.
One more was resting at home waiting for version 2.
One more year i was using it fine.
Last year i was using it with problems for 6months.
Some months again sitting at home waiting for an Os update......
Still at home....Oh my God...it's been 5 years already ,you 're right!!!!!!!!!!!

keybed feel of pa4x is great,one of the best out there in the market.
Screen also great.
Buttons are better on Pa1000.
I wouldn't go for pa700 or pa3.....

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasure is independent of the age of the tool/instrument... ask any guitarist about his cherished 60's guitar!

The pleasure comes from the music YOU pull from the instrument, not the music the instrument makes for you. Youtube is chock a block with great keyboard players playing incredible music on 80's and 90's vintage synths and keyboards.

Perhaps, if the OP is worried about obsolescence in the near future of a PA4X purchase now, keep playing what you have (seems to indicate it is a PA3X) and see if you can find 'pleasure' in working on your playing, or adding better samples, or editing styles and multipads to what you already have, and just wait and see what Korg have in the future..?

Given that the PA4X is not exactly a generational leap forward, more of a slight evolution, perhaps it is worth seeing if the great leap forward actually comes with the next Korg TOTL? I'm pretty sure that if you dig down, you'll find a ton of pleasure with what you still have!
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been gigging with the Pa4x for the past 4 years and it's probably the best instrument out there. It's been rock solid on stage; never had a problem. I don't load it up with any custom sounds and I only add BULLET PROOF styles to it. I have about 2500 MP3 files loaded. I use it as a synth/piano, as an arranger with styles, and singing with MP3's. If your a performer, there is no substitute.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If your a performer, there is no substitute.

+100
..and let's face it, with an arranger, you're "performing" the second you start playing Very Happy
Bill1983

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Would you buy a Korg Pa4X today? YES, YES & Yes! Reply with quote

breeze wrote:
Goodmorning everyone,

The question I would like to ask is: about 5 years after its release, is it worth taking it?
Or is there a risk of finding us with a tool that will be replaced by a new version in a few months?

Needless to say, the new instrument does not upset the previous one and that there are professionals who still perform very well with a pa3x.
But we known that those who, like myself, buy it mainly for pleasure and make a big investment, would like to have a current tool.

I await your opinions.
Thanks

I'm even considering buying a BACKUP PA4x in the event I have an issue that needs service. I don't know what I'd do if I lost mine even for a week.

PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill
If you're serious, why not get yourself a PA700/1000 as a backup - either would certainly get you through a bad time without the PA4X - that would be my choice.

Pete Very Happy
Bill1983

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Would you buy a Korg Pa4X today? Reply with quote

breeze wrote:
Goodmorning everyone,

I await your opinions.
Thanks

IMO, OS Next gave us a PA4x Rev C. Everyone talks & complains about the CPU being dated. They're correct by PC Standards. They're incorrect when it comes to embedded systems. GM, the world's leader in Powertrain Electronics Technology just recently switched to a 32 bit CPU. As an Automotive Electronics Engineer of 30 years, I can tell you it's all about the efficiency of the code and neither the CPU Clock Speed or the Number of Cores.

An Automotive Electronic Control Module performs more operations per second than any 100 electronic musicians do combined in the same 1 second. So yes, the PA4x CPU is old, it can't address more than 4 Gigabytes of memory, and it may be nearing the end of possible upgrades. With that in mind, the US landed on the moon with a main CPU that had a whopping 32 KILOBYTES of Memory and that same technology stuck around for twenty years.

Buy the PA4x, learn how to use it, and you will not be disappointed. If you're merely wanting to sit down, play and never understand what's under the hood, buy a Genos as that's who they're made for.

Different Strokes for different folks.

STAY SAFE, STAY DISTANT, & Make Music,
Bill
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
steve350

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I wished I would have stayed with the Pa3x and not wasted my money on this marketing hype of the Pa4x. What a waste of money.
BrianblueK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly buy it, the only improvements I would like to see is a larger screen and better buttons and layout. I am just a home player, it does everything I want and are capable of doing. I also have a Genos
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I would buy it too in a heart beat.
I loved my PA3X (except for the ridiculous battery backup) - it was super stable and reliable.

However the PA4X (for me) was worth every cent - it is very different, far more logical OS and some magnificent new features.

P Very Happy
Keymn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a backup plan is necessary. Agree, I would get pa1000 for 4x backup. But what good is a backup if it is stored in your car...Phoenix Az might be a problem. I always have an extra suitcase full of spare cables, etc. in car...
I work steady in a restaurant...which I keep my backup PA3x at. Never understood about that battery system on PA3x...the date/time always default Back in time. Just keep it plugged in standby...
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets a bit expensive carrying a COMPLETE backup everything, especially if carting it around in the vehicle. I mean, what’s the point of a duplicate PA4X if you don’t carry a duplicate mixer, duplicate speakers, duplicate microphones, duplicate effects, etc.?

Any one of these things going dead at the gig can stop the show.

Yes, a duplicate arranger at home, staying in mint condition is always a good idea, and I do mean exact duplicate... what’s the point of a different model that won’t read your Songbook and sample sets and requires a lot of work to set up to do your gig? That’s not ‘backup’, that’s a different rig! But it starts to get obsessive if you carry two of everything to a gig in the event of the failure of anything.

I’ve had things fail occasionally. But it’s so seldom that hauling two of everything to ensure beyond a possibility that nothing stops your show isn’t really worth it. The event organizer has always been understanding. After all, they get failures too. Had events cancelled because of power failure, catering trucks breaking down (that’s a point... carry your duplicate everything in a duplicate vehicle?!) etc.. I understood.

Sure, at the high end of the pay scale the show MUST go on. But that pays enough that full show duplication is affordable. Tough to justify that at a local level...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: