Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Couple of Questions (And an Important one about an Error)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobrobot321

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: A Couple of Questions (And an Important one about an Error) Reply with quote

So I got my Kronos (88 keys) last year, and I’ve discovered a lot but I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer.
1. Is there any way I can import sounds? (Or samples like if I wanted the money sounds from Money by Pink Flyod)
2. Can I assign more that 8 pads?
3. Can I connect my Kronos to the internet, and how? Through USB to my PC?
4. How do I update my Kronos, is it worth it, and how?
5. Any advice on transportation with the Kronos?
6. Do electronic drum sets work with the Kronos (Input from the EDrum module and as a MIDI controller)
7. Can I use the Kronos as a Multitrack mixer for Presonus studio one?
8. Any way to add more Inputs on the back for guitars/basses?
9. What does CC stand for (though I know ‘kinda’ how to use it)
*IMPORTANT QUESTIONS*
10. I have a problem where it says “/TEMP folder detected. This folder may contain unsaved WAVE files from a previous audio track recording session. Do you want to restore the /TEMP folder, or delete it from the disk” and there is the option to restore or delete. I always restore but if i delete the TEMP folder will my Kronos stop working? This is very concerning to me.
11. Can I get rid of the “screen will turn off in this amount of time” notification every time I start the Kronos up?
12. Does Memory Protect work, and should I use it?
13. Are they any other Global settings that I should enable/change that I’m not aware about.
Thanks, I know this is a lot but these are my concerns built up from a year. Cheers
[/quote]
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding question #3....why do you want to connect Your Kronos to the internet, for what?

Question #4...what are you trying to update, OS system, firmware, libraries?

Question #5...Are you asking about what hardshell cases to buy?

Question #11...I’ve never seen that message on either of my Ks
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). I think this link can help you:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63184&sid=34b822723dbaae0ed2eeb2e5159ecc95

Not to slow you down,,, did you google search your questions on this forum ?

Thats what I would do in most cases.

2) More than 8 pads... clarify "use". There is a Nanopad which physically gives you 16 pads. Depending on your "Use". of Pads, you might be limited to the native 8 pads on Kronos.

4) Korg has the latest OS for your Kronos. Worth it ? Thats subjective. You should clarify what OS is running on your Kronos.

7) For sure Kronos can act as a standalone mixer. It appears you want to integrate Presonus studio One. correct ?
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Couple of Questions (And an Important one about an Err Reply with quote

jacobrobot321 wrote:
So I got my Kronos (88 keys) last year, and I’ve discovered a lot but I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer.

That’s more than a couple... more than a few even Smile Did your ‘discovery’ include reading the manuals/guides, Internet research, and YouTube exploration? No offense, but most of this is answered in one or more of those forums. The Kronos is a very complex beast and the learning curve is pretty substantial, so if you haven’t done so I’d suggest that you make those resources a priority - especially the manuals as you will undoubtedly be referring to them often as you find more things you wish to accomplish.

That being said, I’ll take a stab at answering some of these:

Quote:

1. Is there any way I can import sounds? (Or samples like if I wanted the money sounds from Money by Pink Flyod)

Yes. You’ll need to be far more specific regarding what you want to do with the sounds/samples, however. You can import a sound (WAV file for instance) and map it to a key or key range, for instance.

You can also use imports as samples in and of themselves to use as to e generators, just as the sampled sounds already present are.

You can also connect external sources and sample or record them directly.

These are merely examples, but each require their own approach and methods.

Quote:
3. Can I connect my Kronos to the internet, and how? Through USB to my PC?

Not directly - what are you trying to accomplish? You can establish connectivity to your PC via USB, and there are instructions out there for connecting via wireless (or even wired via a hardware hack). This connectivity is limited however - you can use it for file transfers, or connecting to some of the utilities such as Kronos Editor.

Quote:
4. How do I update my Kronos, is it worth it, and how?

Depends on what version yours is currently running. OS 3.1.3 is the most current. If you’re running an older version then it likely would be worth it to you, depending on whether you have any third party libraries installed.

The instructions and code download are available for free from the Korg website.

Quote:
5. Any advice on transportation with the Kronos?

Get a good flight case and be careful. It’s an expensive device and some parts are a little fragile, so you don’t want to abuse it.

Quote:
8. Any way to add more Inputs on the back for guitars/basses?

Doubt it... I can’t fathom why you’d want or need to though? If you’re recording, you can record up to 16 individual tracks with most of them using the external inputs if needed. For live performances, I’m stumped why you’d need to do so. What would you be looking to accomplish?

Quote:
9. What does CC stand for (though I know ‘kinda’ how to use it)

Short for “CC Deville”, nickname of the guitar player for Poison? Actually it stands for Control Change, and is related to MIDI programming. You can send CC messages to control external MIDI devices, and it can receive CC messages to change things on the Kronos. There’s a whole appendix page in the Operations Guide on the MIDI implementation.

Quote:
10. I have a problem where it says “/TEMP folder detected. This folder may contain unsaved WAVE files from a previous audio track recording session. Do you want to restore the /TEMP folder, or delete it from the disk” and there is the option to restore or delete. I always restore but if i delete the TEMP folder will my Kronos stop working? This is very concerning to me.

Page 286 of the Operations Guide

Quote:
11. Can I get rid of the “screen will turn off in this amount of time” notification every time I start the Kronos up?

Sounds like sleep mode - configure it to never go to sleep and that should do it.

Good luck.

EDIT - I fixed my response to #10, and answered #11. I see that a couple of other guys have also answered while I was composing my response... Korg Forums to the rescue!

Last edited by tunaman on Wed May 13, 2020 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Yes. Both importing samples and recording your own and turning into Programs is possible. See the Sampling sections of the Operation Guide and Parameter Guide.

#2 Only 8 pads are available. However, it is possible to use two or more identical Programs or Combis, where only the chord pads are different, and switch between them to expand the available pads.

#3 The Kronos cannot be used to browse the web for things like programs, patches, or samples, but can act as a host for a USB to Ethernet converter, and then connected to a PC via Ethernet for file management purposes.

#5 Treat it gently, like any other decent musical instrument.

#6 Yes, provided they have a MIDI output.

#8 Better to use an external mixer, or use an audio to S/P DIF converter. Audio can also be sent to/from the Kronos via USB, so there are potentially 6 audio inputs to play with.

#10 The Kronos won't stop working if the /TEMP folder is deleted. Only unsaved data from a previous audio recording session will be lost.

#11 A bunch of Kronii were made that had an auto off feature. Maybe your Kronos has this and the message is related. Check for an Auto Power off item in the Global menu top right dropdown.

#12 Memory protect settings can prevent unwitting overwriting of Programs or Combis, though most folk run with memory protect off.

#13 Which Global settings are you aware of? I prefer the start option set to Memorise, so the Kronos starts with the Program, Combi, Set List that were last used.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be much more curious about your Kronos. I recommend to start learning how to do a Save All and saving your multisamples (when you record your own). Once you know this, save your stuff often and explore the great possibilities of the Kronos. Try all the Global parameters, read in the manual what each of them does. When you make mistakes, no worry as on the worst case you can "undo" anything using your latest saves. Like anything else, everything becomes easier after a short while. Some preset sounds are great, but you can create good custom ones too. Explore the nine sound engines of your instrument. For synth engines, start with the Polysix, then the MS-20, etc. Cool
jacobrobot321

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your insightful information, it really helped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: