Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sustain Timeout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsthomas1

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Sustain Timeout Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to the Kronos so this may be a simple question, but i can't seem to find it in the parameter guide. I'm using the Square Rez sound (int D053 on my Kronos) and i'd like the sound to fade out after a few seconds when holding down the sustain pedal. This effect works on the piano sounds but for this synth sound, it keeps playing as long as i hold the pedal down. Thank You
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most synthesizers use ADSR (attack/decay/sustain/release) envelopes or some special configuration of them. In the Kronos, there is an additional step called break before the sustain, which makes ADBSR envelopes.

On all synths, the sustain is the level at which you want the sound to stay on when you press the damper/sustain pedal. The synth sound you mention obviously has a defined level (above 0) for this parameter in its amplitude envelope.

On the other hand, in terms of synth envelopes, an acoustic piano has no sustain. Just a long decay. So if you want the synth you mention to behave the same, turn its amplitude envelope(s) sustain to 0 and instead adjust the decay and break times and levels to what you want.
wsthomas1

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. The sound I'm using uses multiple synth engines and i'm having a bit of trouble applying your recommendation. however you've pointed me in the right direction, so i'll just experiment with it a little more.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Yes sorry I'm working so often with the AL-1 engine that I forget about the more standard and simpler envelopes in the Polysix and MS-20 (they don't use the break parameter). So just make sure to reduce sustain to 0 and adjust the attack/decay portions at taste. It can be more complicated to figure what to do in the STR-1 and MOD-7 engines, if your program uses them instead.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Square Rez sound (int D053) look at the AmpEG tabs for EXi 1 and EXi 2. The parameters to alter are in the Envelope section, with a graphical representation of the envelope (i.e. the volume over time) shown above, so it's possible to see the effect of the changes made.

wsthomas1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try that tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: