Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AfterTouch...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beatwilson

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: AfterTouch... Reply with quote

I know I know.... Its been brought up a lot.
I know Korg mad 5 Prologues with Aftertouch BUT....

They should let us pay a little extra for us to mail in our Prologues to install Aftertouch as an Option.

For real.... Great synth but no aftertouch is just a kick to the balls...

Just thought id say what everyone is always thinking...

And please dont bring out a newer prologue with just aftertouch and a sequencer and resell it. Thats shamefull.

Just Do The Right Thing Korg.
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: AfterTouch... Reply with quote

beatwilson wrote:

Just thought id say what everyone is always thinking...

To put things in perspective a bit - midi specs with aftertouch came 1984 or so.

To this day, 36 years later, aftertouch is not mandatory on midi keyboards - why is that?

Could it be that it's just for a very few people this matters enough.
Not that much of a selling point, maybe.

And polyphonic AT is even more rare.

DeepMind has aftertouch but have not used it once. Is it even there on any factory presets - or I missed that.

It's there as a modulation source - do I feel an urge to use it?
- No

Anything I could not just as well do with expression pedal or mod wheel?
- No

Only keybed I had with a long enough stroke to really consider aftertouch was Arturia AnalogLab, as it was called then. Here you could have at least feel to AT if using it. Like if wanting to open a filter a bit as you press harder for intensity.

If there are good arguments for aftertouch - I would like to hear it.
So far I only heard some screaming about it.

So you guys making a riot over AT - explain to everybody why it matters so much for you. It's probably something I didn't think about. Educate us.
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AfterTouch... Reply with quote

[quote="Narioso"]
beatwilson wrote:

So you guys making a riot over AT - explain to everybody why it matters so much for you. It's probably something I didn't think about. Educate us.

For me...

AT is more expressive because it's built into the keybed itself. This makes it more a part of the performance for me. Wheels have always felt like an external add on. Also it leaves a hand free for other tasks. It has a very satisfying tactile response when you can tweak the onset a bit. The harder you push it, the more you get. Something about that just feels better to me than moving a non resistant wheel or using a pedal for more than sustain & volume.

Plus...We need as many realtime controllers as we can get. It doesn't interfere with any of the other controllers and the added cost is really quite small these days.
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

But what parameters is it?
The usuall - vibrato?
So you can do a delayed vibrato or something.

Most things I got acustomed to doing over velocity especially since I had Nordlead2X for a long while. You do all knobs on panel with a simple turn and you got that parameter modulated on velocity between 2 positions.

And having 25 or so knobs - that is 25 parameters to modulate over velocity(or use mod wheel if you like as they call morph).

And how we hit the keys is most expressive way, unless some other thing I did not think about.
- hit the key harder, open up filter a bit to make it more intense

But this works with velocity cross mod.

AT is something you do after key is pressed, and a bit off for me.

Expression pedal is hands free as well.
MRNUTTY

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer AT over wheels or volume pedals. I grew up with piano pedals and dynamics. I still feel very much at home with that perspective on performance. I would map it into Shape for ME processing. Really need more ME inputs than just shape. I would love access to pedals. Shift-shape is awkward. I would code them in an instant.

I would have to get a hefty boost in ME user code to rebuy this platform. Buuuuuut, if they did, I would really LOVE it if they did - I would buy it in an instant.
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Thanks.

But what parameters is it?
The usuall - vibrato?
So you can do a delayed vibrato or something.

Most things I got acustomed to doing over velocity especially since I had Nordlead2X for a long while. You do all knobs on panel with a simple turn and you got that parameter modulated on velocity between 2 positions.

And having 25 or so knobs - that is 25 parameters to modulate over velocity(or use mod wheel if you like as they call morph).

And how we hit the keys is most expressive way, unless some other thing I did not think about.
- hit the key harder, open up filter a bit to make it more intense

But this works with velocity cross mod.

AT is something you do after key is pressed, and a bit off for me.

Expression pedal is hands free as well.

Many/most synths, unlike the Prologue, allow you to assign more than 1 parameter to AT. (OB-6, Rev2, even the Sub 37) Some of my Rev2 patches have so many parameters assigned to AT that I didn't have space in the patch descriptions to list them all. It really can be a beautiful thing. Especially in combination with the MW when they are assigned to different, yet complimentary parameters.

Example:
One of our Pads for U-he's Zebra 2 uses AT to introduce a shimmering, higher octave layer. To pull this off I needed to have 6 or 7 parameters assigned to AT. The MW is also used to tweak the filters and lfo rates here.

The more hands on control we have the better imo.

Safe & Healthy Wishes Everyone!
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for some more input.

Always nice with headroom and options - Prologue is lacking in cross mod area for sure.
I looked at REV2 and having 8 channels as I can see from comparison sheet. OB-6 have 2.

"“X-Mod”
2 sources (Filter Env, VCO 2)
5 destinations (Freq 1, Shape 1, PW 1, LPF, HPF)"

Maybe it's harder with analog all the way to do polyphonic and cross mods. DeepMind having digitally controlled takes quite some time to have it do selfcalibration so that every voice behaves the same way as the other, envelopes, filters etc. I think I left DM6 for 15 minutes and still working. This is stored away then, nothing at each power up.

Masterclass, up till I knew about Wavestate, would be Arturia MatrixBrute I think. 16 sources and 16 targets truly usable with own amount of each. But regular analog monosynth then - so not fair to compare to digital Wavestate.

But Neutron is pretty good in that area too, quite a bunch of cross mods to do there. CV all the way.

Some things came in firmware 2.00 in Prologue, microtuning and AT over midi at least - not bad.

To go wild it's Wavestate that offer anything in modulation just about.

Next Korg workstation having Prologue and Wavestate in there - probably on the rise is my guess. What a kill all, kind of.
MRNUTTY

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting cross modulation options into the Mutable oscillators. They sound great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: