Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01/WFD changing global midi channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brodek2020

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: 01/WFD changing global midi channel Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I was a past owner of an 01/wfd, and just re-purchased one, after a number of years. While setting it up to work in my current studio, I want to set the global midi channel from current default of 1 to channel 3. But...I can't for the life of me, figure-out how to change it. I "page" to it...but then the value button up/down doesn't do a thing. What am I missing? And, as for getting information on how to change it from the manual....well...let's say I forgot how useless it was.....

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
romney_yw

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On my ca 30 year old 01W/fd, it works as described in the manual - which isn't really that bad, although you probably have to read the general instructions on key and slider functions and how to input data (pages 11 to 16) along with the information on MIDI channel (page 158).

As far as I can tell you are not missing anything. I opened the Global settings on Page 0, and then used the Down button until the MIDI channel field was highlighted. I then used the Value Up and Value Down buttons to change the channel to the value I wanted. You can also use the Value slider to change the channel setting, or if you press and hold the A button (under the display), you can type in the channel value you require, using the keypad to the right of the display. I've tried all three different entry methods on my 01W, and all of them set the chosen value for the MIDI channel as expected.

There are three Protect functions on Global Page 4 for Prog, Combi and Seq memory, but as far as I can tell these do not prevent changes to the global MIDI channel on Page 0. I'm not aware of any other "lock" on the global settings.

If you are unable to change the MIDI channel value, I suspect you might have a problem with the instrument. Do the data entry controls work as expected with other fields? Are the buttons faulty/intermittent (I believe this can be a problem on some of these old workstations)?

PS: Just a thought - I've just had to change the motherboard battery inside my 01W. I don't know whether this affects the global settings, but if it does, I would expect that you would be able to change the MIDI channel to the value you require, but you might find that it reverts to the default setting (presumably 01) when you switch the keyboard off.....

I hope you are able to find a solution to the problem!

Best wishes....
brodek2020

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the guidance Reply with quote

Romney...

Thanks for your input and guidance. And yep...I think I have all bases covered. I may do a system reset to see it that helps.

All of the buttons/sliders work, as anticipated...and I can place the cursor above the Global channel and change the tuning, LCD intensity, etc...as anticipated. It is just on the Global Channel setting that I can't get the values changed. Kind of weird.

Thanks again...and I'll keep this forum updated, if/when I get this solved.

Take care,
Kevin
brodek2020

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the guidance Reply with quote

Romney...

Thanks for your input and guidance. And yep...I think I have all bases covered. I may do a system reset to see it that helps.

All of the buttons/sliders work, as anticipated...and I can place the cursor above the Global channel and change the tuning, LCD intensity, etc...as anticipated. It is just on the Global Channel setting that I can't get the values changed. Kind of weird.

Thanks again...and I'll keep this forum updated, if/when I get this solved.

Take care,
Kevin
romney_yw

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I've posted some information in the thread http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=121984 which might be relevant here too.

In particular, I haven't yet been able to recreate a situation where I cannot change the global MIDI channel. If I highlight the field, any of the data input methods immediately changes the value.

Also - what version of the OS do you have installed? See my other post for more details. It's rather unlikely, but I wonder whether it was only possible to change the global MIDI channel in later versions of the OS. I've currently got V#35 installed, but I'm intending to upgrade to the latest V#62 as soon as the ROM chips arrive in the post.....

Best wishes, Romney
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: