Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

88key midi contoller keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuratE

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: 88key midi contoller keyboard Reply with quote

I would like to purchase an 88key midi controller (to control and get sounds from the Korg) just to play the piano, however it doesn’t need to have lots of sliders etc but the keybed and the keys needs to be superb.

Any suggestions please?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...guessing you are wanting fully weighted keys.

I do not play weighted but there are several options out there - unfortunately the keybed feels are very subjective - strongly advise you physically try as many as you can.
Also maybe (depending on budget) consider a stage piano as your controller - several of our forum members (Kronos especially) have them (Casio models are often mentioned too)

https://digitalpianojudge.com/best-88-key-weighted-midi-keyboard-controllers/

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAWAI VPC1. The BEST CHOICE for pianists!!!!

Regards,
Dimitris
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitris wrote:
KAWAI VPC1. The BEST CHOICE for pianists!!!!

Regards,
Dimitris

That's one of the best for sure.

MuratE

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions, very useful link Pete, thanks and really great keyboard Dimitris.

Now, the question is, how do I justify spending circa £1k (+software & sounds) on a keyboard if I don't know whether or not I am good enough when it comes to playing the piano. For example, a guy called Jerome hooked up his Kawai VPC1 into his PC and using "Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand (Yamaha CFX grand piano)". Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlqzcfi5NYM

So, the question arises, I wonder if I should aim for something circa £400 considering I am not a piano player, here is a link of me plyaing over 12 years ago, the keyboard is Roland G1000 (improved since then but not greatly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prpy0auyzSI

Although I have some excellent suggestions for an 88 key controller; am I good enough, how do you justify making the decision to buy one or should I go for something circa £400? I currently own the Korg and Yamaha Genos (Genos's keys are small and very light).
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that you are wanting to "try out" as a pianist - I recommend you get yourself a decent second hand weighted 88 keyboard and see how you go.
You will most likely get your money back if you do OK and want to upgrade.

Just a thought... Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland A-88. Seems to be much liked by respected pianists when playing the likes of Keyscape.

chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I notice your in London, so I suggest you look on Gumtree or Ebay for an 88 note keyboard in the area. I don't see the sense of paying a lot of money when you don't need to.
If you want to buy new, M Audio do an 88 note controller for around £150 although I'm not sure if it's weighted.
I seriously would not spend lots of money on a keyboard until you are convinced piano playing is for you !!
Chris
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murat,

I saw your playing 12 years ago and I understand that you were a very good pianist! You will need 2-3 months of great practice to play that good again. It's like bicycle, you never forget it! So, I believe it's not a bad idea to invest on a VPC1. It's a controller you will never sell!! It doesn't get old!!
I use it with my iPhone or ipad, only!!

Regards,
Dimitris
MuratE

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dimitris,
Thanks for taking the time to check out my youtube channel to see my playing. To be honest, I've never given any breaks so I still play the same but I play random songs, by ear. Never taken any lessons.
So, I am considering the following.
Taking some lessons, but I wonder if it is possible to find online lessons for my level. I have an understanding of musical notations but I am totally slow reading and playing, sloer than a turtle.
If I could learn to play pieces from Chopin (easy one I can play but I'd like to learn the hard ones), then I will think I can justify buying the Kawai VPC1 - but also need the piano software the guy is using (in the other youtube video I shared above).
So, my dalema is, currently I have two keyboards, Yamaha Genos and the Korg, both 76 keys. I can easily play a lot of classical pieces on the Korgs keybed. So, at what point should I get the Kawai?
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murat,

If you have Genos and Korg then you don't want any external software for a midi controller. You can use only midi cables!
I think that piano pieces need 88key instrument with weighed keys if you want to play right!

Regards,
Dimitris
MuratE

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just buy a digital piano, this might be a good idea. Can I ask though, hope you can help; if I buy a digital piano with bluetooth which you can connect external audio devices via bluetooth; are there any apps which I can play back rhythms? (probably without accompaniment (or with, doesn’t matter)), any ideas?? Ps. I will placee the digital piano away from the keyboards so, can't use the styles on the keyboards. Any ideas?
MuratE

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is what I finally did. I now have 3no instruments: Genos, Korg Pa3x76, Korg G1B Air.

Downstairs; I've got the Korg pa3x76 and the Genos on top of each other using a double stand (whatever the correct term is). I use a normal line output from the Genos into the Korgpa3x76's inputs. From the Korg pa3x76 to my sound system. I am very happy with this arrangement. (ps. I am not using MIDI at all).

Upstairs, I put my Korg G1B Air; this is a digital piano with fully weighted keys and really good piano sounds. I've received it a few days ago and I am over the moon. Now, my question is, this digital piano have bluetooth which lets you connect any external device which has bluetooth to playback music (use it like a bluetooth sound system). It has decent speakers and the sound quality is good. Not too great to play your MP3s in my opinion. Anyway, I am looking for an app for my Android Tablet to playback rhythms (doesn't need to have chords and bass, just drums). Do you know of any android apps which can do this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: