Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos MIDI Port Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WVought

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Kronos MIDI Port Problem Reply with quote

Sometimes, but not always, the KRONOS 1 KEYBOARD port does not work.

There are times when the notes I play on the keyboard cannot find their way into Cubase. I checked and double checked...all my routing is good, but no notes get received/recorded. Then later with the same setup (no changes) I can record just fine.

I uninstalled and re-installed the Korg driver, but the problem persists.

Recently I got an unspecified error message on my Kronos, and had to shut it down and restart. I'm not sure if this really has anything to do with my problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway. I'm not sure if this message appeared after, before, or concurrently with the port problem.

MIDI-Ox sometimes displays a message saying the port has failed. Sonar also says the port has failed. Cubase does not tell me this, and the port appears in Cubase's list of MIDI ports. But this doesn't mean it will necessarily function properly.

Is this more likely to be a firmware/software issue, or perhaps a physical device issue?

I'm on Kronos OS 3.1.2. Would updating to 3.1.3 make any difference? What about doing a full factory reset?

Thanks.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's just a case of isolating the possible causes, one by one.

Have you tried another MIDI lead?

Do you have another synth, or any other piece of hardware that could be controlled over MIDI by the Kronos? If so, hook it up and see how you get on. If it works okay, then it would start to look as though the problem is more likely to be connected with your software.
WVought

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete:

I have tried other MIDI cables.

In view of the fact that the problem occurs in both Cubase and Sonar, and also in MIDI-Ox, I'm sure the issue is being caused by the Kronos. I'm just not sure if it's hardware or software/firmware.

The Kronos can sometimes send MIDI to Cubase, but not always. I do have other devices that I could use in a test such as you described, but I don't think that would tell me anything I don't already know.

I considered checking test mode but am reluctant to muck with that, so apparently I'm going to have to take the Kronos to a shop, assuming one is even open.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe...
you should try also with another DAW sequencer. All sequencers are not equals

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
WVought

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, I tried this with both Cubase and Sonar. With Cubase the problem is intermittent; when I open a Sonar project, it tells me the port failed.

I took the Kronos into the shop today, so with any luck this will get resolved.
timg11

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos MIDI USB driver used to support application sharing. It was possible to have Kronos MIDI open in a DAW, and also open MidiOX or other MIDI applications.

Through either Windows Updates or Korg Driver Updates, this capability has been lost. Now the Kronos MIDI only supports one application, and any others will be unable to use the port.

Is this possibly what you are experiencing?

I wrote about it in this thread but nobody has any comments. I guess I'm the only one to ever use multiple MIDI applications concurrently with the Kronos.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet try that Timg11 : I am just so happy that the Korg Driver works fine within Sequoia. But I will try to see that

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
jones

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
I have not yet try that Timg11 : I am just so happy that the Korg Driver works fine within Sequoia. But I will try to see that

I use reaper DAW, at the start of every session I have to reset the ports in preferences of reaper.
It works until I turn the Kronos off, then it has to be reset again.
It works every time so I don't consider it a problem, just a quirk.
WVought

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't see the additional comments until just now.

I took my Kronos into a repair shop. He said he found a loose memory stick. He also replaced the USB B port. He didn't get into diagnostic mode, which in retrospect I should have insisted he do.

He did say he updated the system clock, which was on 2011 for some reason.

But I wouldn't say things are necessarily better post "repair".

I can't send MIDI from Kronos to Cubase. IOW, I can't play notes on the keyboard and record them in Cubase. I'm not using any other programs that would conflict with the driver, but maybe I need to retry this after shutting everything down and restarting. Cubase sees the Kronos 1 Keyboard port, BTW.

The above was an intermittent problem recently before taking the Kronos to the shop.

Since getting the Kronos back from the shop, it can't sync to the digital clock of my Fireface UFX audio interface. I've tried switching out the cables. I also reinstalled the UFX driver and updated the firmware. I have the correct setting in the Kronos Global/Basic/Basic/System Clock.

Also, my PS-1 footswitch no longer seems to work. I had (and have) it set up to toggle KARMA off and on. But it no longer does this. It was working before the repair. It's plugged into the correct jack.

Factory reset time?
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before,
Have you tried to take a look at this ?

https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2019/04/23/fixing-korg-usb-midi-driver-issues-in-windows-10-may-2019-update/

WVought

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but for some reason that link isn't working. I also tried accessing the site directly, but that also doesn't work.

I tried using a different browser...still nothing.
WVought

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what timg11 wrote may have put me onto the right track. I am able to send SysEx from the Kronos to MIDI Quest, so the port is definitely functional, at least at times.

But apparently I need to be certain that only one application is trying to use the ports at any one time. This means making sure Cubase and MIDI-Ox are not trying to access the ports, and using only the virtual ports I have set up via rtpMIDI, which are multi-client.

FWIW, I used to run MIDI Quest in Sonar, which allowed me to use Kronos as a VST. Both MQ and Sonar were able to use the Korg driver at the same time, and I never used virtual ports. I was also able to do this in Cubase. But then something changed.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but this morning the link was working.

Here is the video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SLcnbqwaI

WVought

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I watched the video, and actually tried going into the registry and making the changes.

But in the Korg driver utility my Kronos driver shows up twice, and I don't understand the process well enough to adapt the regedit procedure to my circumstances. I'm also not sure why my driver shows twice and his only once (per device). Maybe I'll try again.

The first instance is midi2: KORG KRONOS.
The second instance is midi10: Standard Driver [KRONOS].

The second instance used to be midi23 or something like that, but I uninstalled all the non-Korg drivers I could and then uninstalled/reinstalled the Korg driver in an attempt to get it to have a lower number without having to do the regedit thingy. But even though ports 3 through 9 are unused, the Standard Driver [KRONOS] installs at the number 10 spot.

I tried simply uninstalling Standard Driver [KRONOS] while leaving midi2: KORG KRONOS unchanged, but then as soon as I attach my Kronos via USB, the driver reinstalls...at number 10.

Maybe I need to follow the regedit procedure, but for only the driver at number 10.

I created a system restore point just in case I muck something up.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows ?
Have you found a solution and resolved "your" Korg driver problem ?
You can also take a look (in the latest news section of the forum) at the old posts about this midi driver, there are screen copies and also answers

Good luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: