Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 Ribbon-Controller sensitivity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatih89

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Kronos 2 Ribbon-Controller sensitivity Reply with quote

Hi,

I own a Pa3x, Pa4x and just bought the Kronos 2 61 from an online music store (local music stores are closed).

Unfortunately, I had to find out that the ribbon-controller only works at comparatively high pressure - it corresponds about the value of 110 in the Pa3x/Pa4x.

In the Pa3x/Pa4x there is an option to adjust the sensitivity. I didn't find that option in the Kronos, yet. Is it even possible to change the sensitivity?

If not, unfortunately I have to send the Kronos back, since this is a huge minus for me. Sad
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - never heard anyone bail on a Kronos due to such a little detail, but to each their own... it is an extremely capable, powerful and feature rich platform, but it certainly may not fit everyone’s needs.

Just out of curiosity - what do you use the ribbon controller for that makes it such a key component? And have you looked into adding an aftermarket ribbon controller?
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it is sensitive enough for Jordan to play it with the back of his pinkie finger while manipulating the joystick, so maybe there’s something wrong with the controller on that specific Kronos?

Mine certainly doesn’t seem to require a lot of pressure.

Hope you are able to sort it out - I think you’ll be amazed if you are able to dive in and master the Kronos. Good luck!
fatih89

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Wow - never heard anyone bail on a Kronos due to such a little detail, but to each their own... it is an extremely capable, powerful and feature rich platform, but it certainly may not fit everyone’s needs.

Just out of curiosity - what do you use the ribbon controller for that makes it such a key component? And have you looked into adding an aftermarket ribbon controller?

For example for turkish ethnic sounds such as ney, kaval, keman (violin).

It makes a huuuge difference playing with the ribbon controller instead of the pitch-bend joystick.

For you this might be a small detail, for me it is not.

I am not Jordan Rudess. I don't care if he can play the ribbon controller by just looking at it. On the Pa3x/Pa4x you can adjust the sensitivity. On the Kronos you can not (?).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatih89 wrote:
tunaman wrote:

For example for turkish ethnic sounds such as ney, kaval, keman (violin).

It makes a huuuge difference playing with the ribbon controller instead of the pitch-bend joystick.

For you this might be a small detail, for me it is not.

I am not expert on the topic but here goes...

High end arrangers have extra levels of sampling to get at the detailed articulation of acoustic instruments.

I believe folks buy 3rd party samples to achieve this with their Kronos.

Something to consider.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos ribbon controller responds to position, not pressure, sending a CC#16 with value 64 at centre position. I believe the Pa3/4x series are the same. Internally, the ribbon "resolution" is higher, giving values of 0-1023 from left to right, with 512 as the mid-position value.

I found the Kronos ribbon required quite a bit of pressure initially, when new, and it responded better to pressure from a point e.g. fingernail than the skin on the tip of the finger. It has become much easier to activate with use over time.

fatih89

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos ribbon controller responds to position, not pressure, sending a CC#16 with value 64 at centre position. I believe the Pa3/4x series are the same. Internally, the ribbon "resolution" is higher, giving values of 0-1023 from left to right, with 512 as the mid-position value.

I found the Kronos ribbon required quite a bit of pressure initially, when new, and it responded better to pressure from a point e.g. fingernail than the skin on the tip of the finger. It has become much easier to activate with use over time.

I know that it responds to the position. As I said, I have a Pa3x and Pa4x. On these models I can adjust the sensitivity of the ribbon controller, i.e. how hard I have to press my finger down to recognize the position. I play with the lowest sensitivity (value of 30) on these models. I have to barely touch the ribbon controller to send the CC values - my finger glides very smoothly.
With the Kronos, however, I actually have to press my finger down, therefore my finger experiences a lot of resistance.

It is not fun to play like that. Sad

Since I have the Pa3x the ribbon controller is a fundamental part of my playing style, and that the sensitivity is probably not adjustable (as it is in the Pa3x and Pa4x) is the reason why I am a bit disappointed by the Kronos.

Of course it is a really great instrument with a really great sound and a lot of features. But as it is now, I feel restricted in how I play.

Since I also build and programmed my some own MIDI-controllers I thought about building a simple ribbon controller by my own. Actually I already did it a few years ago when I started my first projects. But this would be just a solution to a problem which IS already solved on the arranger flagship models since the Pa3x (e.g. if(actPres > lowPres) then do). I am pretty sure that the pressure value of the ribbon controller is read by the OS and the lowest pressure is just a fixed value.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is indeed no software adjustment for the ribbon sensitivity. On the other hand, since you mention you know about electronics, it would be easy to create a little mod to adjust the Kronos ribbon circuit. I did a hardware mod on my Kronos to optimize the aftertouch (AT) threshold as I didn't like the stock response (see my sig if needed).

Both the AT and ribbon circuits use RC4558 op-amps. I've never bothered to experiment a mod with the Kronos ribbon because I rarely use that component, but I'm pretty sure it would be as easy as with the AT mod.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another point I've noticed about the ribbon controller :

There is a coating which get spent along the time if we often use it. So, progressively the finger slips not so easily as the beginning.

Of course, it's not the case of fatih89 : his Kronos is new !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: