Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Anyone Come From A Kurzweil to a Krog Please I need help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemusik

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Has Anyone Come From A Kurzweil to a Krog Please I need help Reply with quote

Hi Everyone I am making myself crazy, I am a Kurzweil guy its all Ive owned but there is something about the Kronos 2 that is making me want to buy one. I have one on hold but have not bought it yet , The Kurzweil is easy for me and I have a dear friend that works for Kurzweil so answers come easy and fast keeping me out of trouble , the Krog seems so hard to get around and I am just not really good with this stuff , I love the Kurzweil sounds so I am not really buying the Korg for its great sounds, I really like all the drum patterns in the Korg it seems like a lot of fun. I want to put some head phones on late at night play my Korg to some beats, Can you just pick a drum track and play along live? I know this may seem like a simple question , for 3 days it is all I have done is read about the Krog its seems great and I am excited to add it to my Kurzweil K2600 Kurzweil Forte and my Roland Fantom , honestly I am not crazy about the Roland , any thoughts? has anyone come from using a Kurzweil then to Korg I would love any input Thank you Joe
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to be able to jam along with a beat, you might consider buying an arranger keyboard like the Korg PA4X or Yamaha Genos.

The Kronos Karma function is like an arpeggiator on steroids.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, I have admired Kurz for some time. For me , its a tempting purchase.

So you close to having the 3 Big Dogs in your rig. It seems like a lot to manage.

Putting that aside, Kronos drums are a blast.

Most of todays contemporary music is beat heavy, striking rhythms. I have composed/recorded 75 songs, almost always dependent on Kronos drum tracks and patterns and Karma to spice it up.

Lots of opinions on what 'tools ' to lay down drum tracks.

Kronos makes that happen with a very good result.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joemusik,

In the past decades, Kurzweil stayed my favorite brand - I still own a MIDIboard and the equivalent of the famous K250 in a rackmount. I also bought a Korg Wavestation A/D in the 90s and was very impressed. Now that I own my Kronos 2, I can say that it is the best digital synth/machine I ever owned, period.

Before you buy, simply try numerous combis which use the Korg dums and Karma and you will understand. Karma is an interactive "accompaniment" thing. I don't really use it as I like to play everything myself, but sometimes I enjoy jamming with the integrated Karma machine. It can be a lot of fun too.
joemusik

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Wow Thank you for the help Joe Litchfield Piano Works Reply with quote

Brother Thank you

I do not think I could watch one more You Tube video on the Korg 3 days and night off it lol, the Korg seems great and I am going to buy it right now thanks to everyones help, I did have a Triton way back and enjoyed that board and missed it , I never could get rid oh my great Kurzweil but sometime I just want to have a blast and the Korg really seem to be great

Love ya Thank you

Joe
Litchfield Piano Works in Litchfield Ct
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joemusik,

Another cool fact about the Kronos is that it's also a sampler. I had to sell a few of my keyboards to be able to purchase my Kronos. But before doing so, I sampled all the best sounds and custom programs I made with my Wavestation and Kurzweil PC2X. Now, I can still play those sounds in the Kronos and enjoy its much better effects/reverbs/etc, so it's like I didn't sell them. Cool
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that the drum patterns in Kronos' Programs and Combinations are great, but those that are generated by Karma in the Kronos Combis are really, really something else. Very dynamic, and user controllable. It's easy to forget that there's not a live drummer in the room at times. Karma is a beast, however, so creating and editing your own percussion in Karma carries a significant learning curve with it. That said, the Kronos will provide many years of mental stimulus and musical pleasure.

Daddyg3042

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past 25 years I've owned a K2000, K2VX, 2600, 2661, SP2, and 4 & a PC3. They're all gone now...just sold off the PC3. It took me awhile to get used to the Kronos' way of getting about. It's definitely not the controller that the Kurz's were, i.e. MIDI functionality lags considerably, but there are workarounds. Basically, I grew weary of the triple strike pianos and some of the epianos. I think I was just ready for a change. For some reason, the Kronos seem to be more satisfyingly multi dimensional, and I really took to the key action.

When I want to just sit and jam with a drum track, you can do this with the "drum track" feature in either programs or combis. Really simple to call up and start playing. The descriptions on these drum loops could be better, but it's easy to roll through them to find something that works. It's just a continuous loop, with little variation. You can certainly create your own loops & chain different patterns together though, besides creating your own sequences and songs.

I've enjoyed the transition.
joemusik

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Yes I was a Kurzweil guy 100% glad to hear from you Reply with quote

Wow I finally meet someone who went threw what I going threw , That strong tie to Kurzweil, I agree I was ready for something different and I have to say I am floored how great the Korg is. I am so thrilled to have it and I am having a great time learning it too.

Thank you for the input. I have been wanting hear from a Kurzweil; person and hear their story, It is very hard to let go.
AKAsmiley

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am also ex. Kurzweil PC3/K2500 user and bought my self Kronos (Kronos 2 73), 2 weeks ago Very Happy (I'm new here - so be gentle).

I really liked Kurzweil and still have Kurzweil PC3 (maybe will sell it soon).
However I'm really disappointed with Kurzweil in the last few years, the last straw for me was their latest PC4.

Compared to Kurzweil the Kronos is approx. 10 years ahead of Kurzweil.
Kronos is the best workstation (one you can do everything on it without using external devices like PC, A/D-Recorder...) - I have no doubt about it.

However there are few things that I still think Kurzweil does better and simpler then Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its great to see Kurzweil owners here.

I am interested in adding the PC4 to my Kronos
joemusik

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Yes my Friend added the new Kurzweil PC 4 to his gear Reply with quote

Yes I have the Kurzweil Forte and K2600 my friend just bought the PC4

It is very cool machine will not be disappointed, the other thing to think about is a used Forte , the Forte does sound a bit thicker

The thing about the PC4 is the action is a little quicker that the Forte , it is the new key bed Kurzweil us using now.

I still love my Forte and Love my new Korg Kronos too and thrilled to have my Korg it has been GREAT , all the companies have there strong points, I love the big knobs, large sliders and the lay- out of the Kurzweil maybe a little better than the Korg, the Kurzweil is very easy use and to see, when sitting behind the Kurzweil working. Plus The Kurzweil really sounds great. That is one of the reasons I will always have a Kurzweil.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am into music production { not covers] and curious how a PC4 would compliment my approach, which is mostly instrumental.

Wouldn't sell my Kronos.

The analysis for me is what can a PC4 do that is better than Kronos.

for example, if there is an 80% tie on sound production, that creates a redundancy.

Its impossible to try a PC4 thus it stays on my gear planning list.
joemusik

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Yes I would never get rid of my Krog it is only a week old Reply with quote

I love my Korg too for many many reasons, if you were thinking about adding the PC4 , for its sounds you will not be disappointed that is for sure.

Having both in my studio I still find myself playing my Kurzweil, I know the Korg sounds unreal it does but the Kurzweil sounds give be goose bumps still. There is just something I still love about the sounds in the Kurzweil that turn me on.

That being said the Korg to me is a total blast and I totally love it. I am so glad I have it, to me personally I needed both machines to be happy.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that.

I like to analyze. Such as compare AP's to AP's, guitar to guitars, FX to FX

And acoustic instruments are a priority, trumpet, sax, etc

I am of the opinion that I should sink into VST's to nail down the acoustic quality That I do not possess today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: