Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos combis not sounding right
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
choton91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos combis not sounding right Reply with quote

While I try to factory reset sounds I notice some combis not sounding appropriate.. Let's say I choose a factory strings combi and all the timbres are drums samples.. some days ago I tried to load samples and maybe messed up some samples location.. Now when I try to load preload.pcg from internal hdd it shows "this file was created on an older version, remap the references " I click yes and do the rest.. still the combis aren't sounding right.. Nothing is changing .. I'm thinking to restore from DVD but i found that's quite risky .. Anyone know what should I do to completely restore the sounds? .. like brand new settings?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if you currently have the programs "old order" or "new order". Combis refer to program numbers so if they are wrong you won't hear the correct sounds.

For example, on the Kronos X, the program bank U-BB starts with De La Salsa Brass EXs18, but on the Kronos-2 it's the I-B bank instead. So it seems like you need to swap some banks or restore the correct ones using the Kronos-2 or Kronos X Factory.PCG, it depends what you currently have and what you want to have in your program banks, etc.

Once you restore the banks you need, there are useful freeware to manage your programs/combis/etc like PCG tools, Tidy Kronos and the Kronos Editor. Simply google those to find their download links.
Sweat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Kronos that has software version 3.0.3 or higher recognizes a .PCG file which was saved on an original K or KX with software version 2.1 or earlier. This includes your preload.pcg containing factory programs. As you see when installing, it offers the option to remap references to a "new order". Select NO.

The preload.pcg you are installing has the "old order", and so afterwards, your programs will then be in the "old order. So select NO to the remap question.
choton91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kk I got ya.. but my problem is even after loading preload.pcg why it's not restoring ?
choton91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sweat
I tried both .. After selecting no, still no luck... maximum combis in strings section are with wrong samples.. doesn't matter yes/no for remapping, it's just not restoring to factory settings.. I'm going nuts
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choton91 wrote:
@kk I got ya.. but my problem is even after loading preload.pcg why it's not restoring ?

The only way I could help would be to see the contents of your Kronos. For that you would need to do a Save All in Disk Mode and then share the newly saved PCG file (it can be any name you choose, like today's date) on an online site. Tten using a freeware I mentioned I could see what is going on right away.
choton91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KK
sure thing. How do I send to you? give me your mail please
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Check your private messages. Cool
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I checked your PCG and Sweat is exactly right. You selected YES instead of NO when you are asked to remap as he mentioned above. Unfortunately, by doing so certain combis are now pointing to programs which are supposed to exist in the Kronos 2 "new order", but yours is a Kronos X hence the wrong programs sounding in those combis.

Also, the string combis you mention do not exist as Korg factory files in any Kronos version, which means they were installed either by you or the previous owner, possibly from some third party sound library.

My suggestion is to either delete these combis if you didn't install a new sound library featuring strings or to reinstall them properly if you bought that library, but this time without remapping to the "new order" when asked during installation.

Note that there is also a package to upgrade your Kronos-X into a Kronos-2. You would also get the Berlin piano and other extra sounds, etc.
choton91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KK,

Thanks a lot for your kind help. So i'll delete those combis..

I also selected NO for remap references and extracted and sent you the PCG.
However, i will just get rid of those messed up combis.. just to make sure, I got all the programs available like it supposed to be for KX right? NO need to install factory sounds from DVD?

BTW, the up-gradation you mentioned, i can buy from korg websites right?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Cool

Yes, all program banks in your PCG seem correct for a Kronos-X. To get the extra sounds and upgrade with the Berlin Grand and other orchestral sounds, indeed you can go check on the Korg website.

Last edited by KK on Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
choton91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, my question is though loading preload.pcg and selecting NO for remap references, why the messed up combis are still there? The preload should wipe up all the third party combis and restore to factory condition right?
choton91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KK,

haha, of course i know it wasn't an ad for korg! Thanks a lot for your advice.. I'll give it a try.. I bought Kronos 88 back in 2015. after 2 months for some reason i sold it, now got a kronos x. but almost forgot everything.. now learning again from the scratch.. thanks for your supports!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely that if it was on your Kronos SSD, the preload file was overwritten at some point by the previous owner. The factory preload file I have on my side for Kronos X don't include any combis in "U" banks, only in the "I" banks. The broken combis in yours are in a "U" bank.
choton91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case should I restore factory sounds from DVD ? I want to make my Kronos exactly like factory condition.. I want to start from very clean state then build up my own directories gradually
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: