Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Clone drive into different Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
illwillwb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Installing Clone drive into different Kronos Reply with quote

Yesterday I cloned my SSD onto a SSD with more storage only to find out that the cloned drive partitioned the same size as the original drive. However after this I wanted to know what would happen if I took the cloned drive and installed it into a different Kronos. I figure someone has either tried it or would have direct knowledge of whether this would work. Since the Kronos is technically a computer it should function the same unless Korg runs some software checker vs Hardware serial numbers because of the way sounds are purchased. Anyone have an answer?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each Kronos uses an unique "public ID" so it's very likely that the SSD in another Kronos will not work properly unless you reauthorize everything. Also, when you clone to a larger SSD you have to extend the partition of the unallocated space.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Clone drive into different Kronos Reply with quote

illwillwb wrote:
Yesterday I cloned my SSD onto a SSD with more storage only to find out that the cloned drive partitioned the same size as the original drive. However after this I wanted to know what would happen if I took the cloned drive and installed it into a different Kronos. I figure someone has either tried it or would have direct knowledge of whether this would work. Since the Kronos is technically a computer it should function the same unless Korg runs some software checker vs Hardware serial numbers because of the way sounds are purchased. Anyone have an answer?

Cloning original SSD in a larger one requiers 2 steps : 1) Cloning 2) Extending partition.

For step 1, I used EASEUS Todo Backup software
For step 2, I used PARAGON Partition Manager (or GParted but it is less easy to work with)

Then it's a good thing to keep the original SSD safe away, just in case !

As KK said before, you can transfer your SSD in another Kronos, but you won't be able to use all Korg official sounds banks. Public Id is recorder on one harp chip.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Clone drive into different Kronos Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
As KK said before, you can transfer your SSD in another Kronos, but you won't be able to use all Korg official sounds banks. Public Id is recorder on one harp chip.

Nothing will work in another Kronos , re-authorization warning window will appear right after booting which can't be resolved.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
illwillwb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all that responded. I had to do a little research about the partitioning but I got it all squared away
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: