Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Problem has been detected.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharp,

Sorry previous attempts didn't work. Found this one for you below. The guy (Knave) fixed a similar problem as you have inspecting then repairing the "small 'mini-connector' and 'mini-board' at the lower right of the MB, near the keys/power supply". Check yours, you have nothing to lose.

I remember finding it rather scary in mine as well every time I open the unit. Very tiny and important connection/component which could be easily disturbed or even damaged because of its location.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102396&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=8
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I’ll open it up and take another look in a few days. Right now I want to try something else first. I get the feeling the KRONOS doesn’t like my portable DVD drive because it’s actually a Blu-Ray, Lightscribe, every feature under the sun drive.

I tried to read an AKAI S5000 CD with the same drive connected to my AKAI MPC-X yesterday and the AKAI wouldn't even see the drive either, so I’ve ordered a new drive online. Something basic that just reads DVD’s.

At this point I’d like to try that and see if it will allow me to reinstall the factory disks. If not, I will open it up and take a very detailed look across every single connection and component.

If all that fails.... then it’s going into a box and I’m going to just forget about the KRONOS until the lock down here in Ireland is over and I can ship it to KORG UK for repairs.

I fear it will be a good few months until I get my KRONOS working again.

Regards
Sharp
JFree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing about 3 months ago. It turned out my secondary SSD had failed. I didn't think that could possibly cause it to not boot, but when I hooked it all was fine. I ended up cloning the original drive onto a much larger and just going with one drive. I had a similar problem a few years before that was a power supply issue. Good luck.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp - If you're not too opposed to tearing things apart and trying stuff, maybe we could jump on a skype call and we can work through some things?

I have a kernel patch that you could run that will basically enable verbose mode and SSH for the Kronos. You can then also plug in an external monitor to see the verbose output and ACTUALLY troubleshoot what's happening which should narrow things down.

I have the Kronos 2 and the motherboard goes through a diagnostic self-check and once the BIOS code hits A4, then it starts the boot sequence. Sometimes I notice it gets stuck on A3 (which is just an init string) and nothing happens. I've also been playing around in the BIOS and noticed the Kronos (OMAP display control) will show there's an error UNTIL it gets an init signal.

Anyway, if you don't want to wait, send me a PM and we can try some stuff together and see if we can get your Kronos working reliably again.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Thanks for the support and offers of help. Quick progress update.....

No sign of the DVD drive I ordered arriving, and the ebay seller's account has been terminated....lol.. Talk about bad luck. Ebay want me to wait a little while longer to see if the drive
arrives, but if not, they will refund me as I used Pay Pal.

Anyway.... The SSD Drive cloning did work but didn't solve the problem. My KRONOS booted yesterday and ran all day without a single problem off the new SSD. Then this morning, it wouldn't boot fully. It gets stuck at the very start. No sign of the disk light coming on at all. Not even a single flash.

So..... guess I will take one more look inside for blown caps and signs of problems.

Regards
Sharp
Keysincolor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Fingers crossed… Reply with quote

I got crashes with the “problem has been detected” messages increasingly for a couple of weeks until it would happen predictably after a few hours. I decided to disable the auto shutoff feature (global>mini menu). After a week of having the Kronos on all day, I’ve yet to have a failure.

Update - 10 days later, and this celebration has been canceled. I’m reaching for the screwdriver.

Last edited by Keysincolor on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stoffel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp - does your kronos enter the diagnostic mode?
Kronos 2 88, Roland AX-Synth, 2x Roland A-800 Pro, Behringer Vocoder VC340, Synton Vocoder, Neo Instruments Ventilator 2, Panda MIDI Beam, Joh.P.Andresen Harmonium, Studiologic SL990, Beyerdynamic DT770/880, FL Studio, Shure WH20, AKG WMS470, Shure SE535, Xenyx Control 1, U-Phoria UMC404HD, Visaton Monitor, Gig Performer, PreSonus Studio 26c, Macbook Pro
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp, the next time you have the bottom cover off, see if you can connect a VGA monitor to the VGA connector on the motherboard. Depending on the number of keys and generation, you might need a right-angle VGA adapter, or remove the end cap. The motherboard VGA isn't used during normal operation, but it does display some useful information during the boot process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: