Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum Roll Please...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davekalbach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Drum Roll Please... Reply with quote

I am trying to create a drum sequence (sounds kind of like Hogans Hero's Intro)

I can create the drums via RPPR and select each beat, but I haven't been able to create a drum roll - The Wild Rock Kit has a sound I'm looking for but the roll stops at about a half note. I've tried playing a drum roll on the keyboard, but just can't get it to sound well.

So my next solution was to record my V-Drums into a Korg Digital Recorder (D32XD) edit it on the Recorder and MIDI transfer my new drum loop to the Kronos (Yes I could record it as an audio file direct to the Kronos, but then I wouldn't be able to tweak the drum kit later.

So here's the question - Does the digital output from the Roland remain digital so that I could MIDI record out to the Kronos? I can get the MIDI link to work but no sound is recorded.

Or is there a better way to do this? I feel like creating a drum roll (without sampling) in the Kronos should be easy. But I haven't found it yet.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronos drum kits are the sound- snare- cymbal- toms- kick drum

The various patterns drive the rhythm.

I am not sure of the tempo you need for your roll. Or the duration of the drum roll.

It might be in one of the pattern

Plus there are some misc percussion kits that almost instantly provide lots of parade type drum rolls
davekalbach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think I went through ALL of the drum kits, but I will double check again.

I know I found a few sets such as TIMPANI w/SW1 - Roll, but nothing in a snare like I was looking for.

It is that military type snare roll that I'm looking to create in an RPPR

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was not clear.

Lets say there are 100 drum kits

Kronos has over 300 drum patterns. I don't have the manual in from to of me- could be many more.

When you press Drum Track , a kit is selected and a pattern is selected.

You could preview these [ kit and pattern] in your SEQ to find the correct roll

Then you could copy a full measure of that drum roll. How you implement the roll in what mode is up to you.

As I mentioned, the " Misc percussion " kits might automatically give you what roll you want.

I suppose this sounds like some work.And take some time.

I don't use RPPR. It might be 'easier '. Someone else might be certain.
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are struggling to get an exact snare drum sound, why not try retuning one of the snare sounds that are relatively close to what you are looking for? There is also the option to change the EQ on the sounds.

There are many millions of free or cheap drum sounds to be found online - your sound will surely be there.

You might even be able to sample the snare from the original recording, but that isn't always straightforward because of the encroachment of other sounds.

I suspect that an additional problem may turn out to be the difficulty of replicating a truly human feel to the roll. I presume you are recording the roll in SEQ mode, in which case you can go into Event Edit and start randomising and varying each element of the roll - slight velocity, timing and pitch differences, for example. All those will certainly help.

Or you could just outdo it. Your personal, inspired take might well work better than trying to replicate somebody else's and getting something that is surgically precise but somehow feels dead.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Or you could just outdo it. Your personal, inspired take might well work better than trying to replicate somebody else's and getting something that is surgically precise but somehow feels dead.

That is what I have currently done. I played it on a a drum kit. I wasn't sure how the Korg Recordered stored the data, and whether I could pull the newly recorded (live) sound from the Recorder into the Kronos via MIDI SYNC.

The more I think about this however, I realized my Drum Kit is currently using a 1/4 Audio In to the Recorder. It does have MIDI Outputs, but my cable isn't that long. I believe if the 1/4 inch input was used the Recorder likely saves the data in a .WAV format or something similar. Yet, I feel if I were to try to get a longer set of MIDI cables, and send the info via MIDI, then the KORG would probably recognize it.

I have tried to pull the recorded track from Recorder to Kronos several times via MIDI, it looks as if its working (Pressing Play on the Recorded starts the Recorder in Sequencer and it begins recording) Just no data on the armed Kronos track when I'm finished.

In reference to comments about built in drum rolls, I will look today to see if I can find what GregC was suggesting as that might work if I can find something.

The idea of being able to play the drum kit directly into the Kronos (or by proxy via the Recorder) just intrigued me as it opened up tons of possibilities. I may order a longer set of MIDI cables just to see if this can be done.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. MIDI does not carry audio data. It carries musical event data, such as note on, note off, velocity, and Control Change data, such as that used for modulation, so sounds created by the V-Drums themselves cannot be transferred over MIDI. If the drums generate MIDI events, these could be used to trigger Kronos' drum kit sounds, but the Kronos would be the tone generator, not the V-Drums, although the audio from both V-Drums and Kronos could be mixed in interesting ways.

davekalbach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Just a thought. MIDI does not carry audio data. It carries musical event data, such as note on, note off, velocity, and Control Change data, such as that used for modulation

Yes - Thats what I was trying to do - get the Event Data in, which would allow me to modify the data (Instrument or Kit) in Kronos

As I said the V-Drums have a MIDI out, but I've never used it - I think I'm going to order a 20 foot MIDI cable set, just to see this work. Seems like it could be quite fun..

I wasn't sure if taking the drum sounds to the Recorder retained MIDI data, which after thinking this through a bit, I don't believe it does. The recorder can create MIDI and handle MIDI In and Out

davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

My MIDI cables came in - I tried routing them to the Recorder with no luck. Read through Rolands Manual on MIDI output, everything seems correct. It writes a track, but can't tell if it's audio or midi.

Tried importing that track via MIDI setup to the KRONOS, something writes but its only one event in the MIDI Event editor (should have written down the name (EXIS or something like that)

Then I tried to run the Drum MIDI Out (and IN) directly to the Kronos and record a MIDI track that way. Still no luck.

This is my first MIDI experiment and boy is this different....

Anyhow I will stop for the day, and try again tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

--- Side Note ---

Original post was about a drum roll.

I actually did find the drum rolls. A few of the drum presets had the short roll (dotted half note) located at or around F1 and G1. A hard attack on these keys produces a long roll (about 4 measures) - I could then cut this up and most likely use it.

I just really would like to be able to capture live performance from the drum kit via MIDI, then I would be able to change the sounds to nearly anything. Seems like this should be possible.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take a look at this, it's kind of old, but it's about using KARMA to create drum rolls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cy1IfjKl2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbj1CWyKfDc

kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank so much for your links Stephen. Absolutely very interesting : they open minds and give so many musical ideas... Idea

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the videos Steve

As I watched your video I noticed you could turn off the Trigger Note in KARMA.

Is there a way to do the same thing with a Drum Track or an RPPR? I've been working on something where I'd like the drum track to begin about 8 measures in. Currently I'm triggering it with the lowest key on the keyboard while playing, which sounds the note as the drum track starts.

After watching your video I thought for sure there must be a way to silence the note, but I couldn't seem to find anything in the setup.

Can this be done?

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:
Is there a way to do the same thing with a Drum Track or an RPPR? I've been working on something where I'd like the drum track to begin about 8 measures in. Currently I'm triggering it with the lowest key on the keyboard while playing, which sounds the note as the drum track starts.

After watching your video I thought for sure there must be a way to silence the note, but I couldn't seem to find anything in the setup.

What about changing the key zone so it doesn't play that note? Are you in a combi or a program?

davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a Program

Hadn't thought of using the keyrange for that purpose - I'll have to experiment

I currently hav the Trigger Set to E1, with the Key Range set to E1 - E1, I'll try changing that

Thanks again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: