Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you recreate Minimoog patches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Can you recreate Minimoog patches Reply with quote

I've just downloaded the Minimoog D2 app (free at the moment from the App store) onto my iPad and it's great. I've got the iPad Midi connected to the Kronos so I can use the Kronos to trigger the sounds generated on the iPad by the App. You can even have it running in the background if, like me, you use the iPad for chord charts.

However, the Kronos is a great machine and I would like to know if it is possible to match the Minimoog Patches to settings in an EXi Program on the Kronos. In other words, is there a way to set up an EXi so that it fundamentally acts and operates like a Minimoog, and where you can take a Minimoog patch and adjust the correlated parameters in the EXi Program to replicate the Minimoog sound.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you re-create a Mini Moog? I’m not sure if you can. That instrument was wonderful. The fat analog sound that the original model D produced was created from three oscillators and was amazing. Having said that, it was temperature sensitive and would drift out of tune all the time. Sometimes you had to re-tune in between songs. You couldn’t save, or store anything.

I know that we don’t have to worry about being out of tune with our Kronos, thank goodness. If you check out some of the solo lead sounds that we have to pick from, you will find some good ones that might come close to what you’re looking for.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are extremely picky about sound, I say at least the Kronos AL-1 engine can easily emulate almost any Moog sound (not only the Mini Moog). I've created a few programs to reproduce a few well-known ELP pieces, so you could listen and see for yourself. These initially come from Emerson's famous Moog Modular.

https://youtu.be/S5xF3yl5V3o?t=308

The first part (Hoedown, taken from their 3-LPs live album) initially uses two, then a bit later four AL-1 oscillators to create the famous ascending synth sound. I haven't yet found a situation where the AL-1 can't reproduce or even improve upon any synth sound I want to emulate. I think this engine has near limitless possibilities.

The other ELP excerpt in the video uses a less complex but still interesting synth, but instead with four sampled oscillator sounds from the HD-1 engine.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK Excellent video. Well done Sir, awesome!
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this thread, Dan Phillips from Korg R&D gives tips on creating moog-ish sounds. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83803&start=0

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
KK Excellent video. Well done Sir, awesome!

Thanks for your nice comment, glad you like my little excerpts.
Mersip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Dan Phillips' thread is really helpful, and I've already run through it as a way of (trying) to get my head around how sounds are created. But I'm finding hard to work out which parameters I need to change when I'm trying to recreate a particular Moog sound.

The Minimoog in some ways is relatively simple from a users perspective: 3 oscillators, mixed together with Noise and any external inputs, through a Filter with 6 parameters, and then a 3 parameter volume envelope. I know I've simplified this (a lot), but there are about 20 parameters. Can these 20 parameters be matched with similar parameters in the EXi program? Or is this simply not possible?

I also know that for many people, the fun is in exploring the different sounds you can make. So trying to recreate a particular type of sound isn't what they want to do.

For me, if I'm playing a cover, I like it to sound as close as possible to the original. So for example I'm trying to recreate the solo Moog that is used by Genesis on Dancing with the Moonlight Knight (at the the 5 minute mark), but I'm struggling to find anything in the preset programs to do it. I've got closer using the Minimoog app on the iPad, but would really like to do it on the Kronos.

Perhaps it's a bridge too far.

By the way, KK your sounds are great. Wish I could programme like that.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
IAA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Minimoog in some ways is relatively simple from a users perspective: 3 oscillators, mixed together with Noise and any external inputs, through a Filter with 6 parameters, and then a 3 parameter volume envelope. I know I've simplified this (a lot), but there are about 20 parameters. Can these 20 parameters be matched with similar parameters in the EXi program? Or is this simply not possible?

The Minimoog is a unsophisticated, but wonderful sounding synth. I have one and I can tell you that using just the AL1 program you can get as close as any VA can to the sounds it can make. It’s modulation is limited (unlike the Kronos) so pick a sound you like fire up AL1, checkout the section in the parameters guide on modeling vintage analog synths and you’re good to go!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mersip wrote:
For me, if I'm playing a cover, I like it to sound as close as possible to the original. So for example I'm trying to recreate the solo Moog that is used by Genesis on Dancing with the Moonlight Knight (at the the 5 minute mark), but I'm struggling to find anything in the preset programs to do it.

By the way, KK your sounds are great. Wish I could programme like that.

Hi Mersip,

I'm glad you like my little excerpts of custom sounds. The Hoedown one is actually quite complicated to do as Emerson programmed it (there are several online "tutorials" which are totally wrong about how to create this sound). The Genesis one you mention is tricky as well. If I'm finally laid off temporarily in the coming weeks because of the current worldwide situation, I will have plenty of time to spend on practicing and programming sounds. I'll let you know if it happens and I can help.
Mersip

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KK.

I hope that you don’t get laid off, but I think all of us are likely to have a bit more time at home over the next few months. Either way, any help would be appreciated.

All the best to all Korg Forum contributors during what is a really challenging time.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't be bothered trying to emulate a minimoog. Best I've ever managed is a nice analogue sounding lead synth but can't be compared with a minimoog.

Other better options for minimoog emulation out there IMO.

G Force Minimonsta is the nearest VST/AU I've found.

Or get the Behringer Model D.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" MONARK is better for me than the new hardware Moog synthesizer. "

Jean- Michel Jarre

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4s3OsSFOGs
IAA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or.......Moog are making the iOS model D app FREE. Why not give it a whirl if you can?.
jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Unless you are extremely picky about sound, I say at least the Kronos AL-1 engine can easily emulate almost any Moog sound (not only the Mini Moog). I've created a few programs to reproduce a few well-known ELP pieces, so you could listen and see for yourself. These initially come from Emerson's famous Moog Modular.

https://youtu.be/S5xF3yl5V3o?t=308

I hear vangelis influence. ?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jones wrote:
I hear vangelis influence. ?

You're referring to a previous excerpt in the video where I play one of his pieces called "Rêve". It's simply an excerpt of his work mixed with a short improvisation on it. I know many of his pieces as I used to do Vangelis tribute concerts. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: