Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My thoughts ......
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i3 (new - 2020 model)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backpool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Harry - I bit the bullet and got an i3 ....delighted!!
Cheap as well at £429 !!

I have asked korg UK if they would consider making 'shift' a pedal option - which for me would be a no brainer. ( have mentioned in other posts )
Unless you save to set, it is difficult on the fly to use this 2 handed function i find.
'Shift' is even more evident on the i3 than the EK50

Looking forward to enjoying with my Yamaha SX700 it sits well and i now have best of both!
I have been using an EK50, in combo, so this is a bit of a step up and it is just so compact, light and sleek!

Thanks for all your advice in the the threads -

best regards
Keith
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backpool wrote:
hi Harry - I bit the bullet and got an i3 ....delighted!!
Cheap as well at £429 !!

I have asked korg UK if they would consider making 'shift' a pedal option - which for me would be a no brainer. ( have mentioned in other posts )
Unless you save to set, it is difficult on the fly to use this 2 handed function i find.
'Shift' is even more evident on the i3 than the EK50

Looking forward to enjoying with my Yamaha SX700 it sits well and i now have best of both!
I have been using an EK50, in combo, so this is a bit of a step up and it is just so compact, light and sleek!

Thanks for all your advice in the the threads -

best regards
Keith

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your i3 purchase. I have not used mine in a couple of months - it sits in its case in the bedroom for right now Sad

Even with the COVID-19 stuff hampering gigs for my band, I have been incredibly busy in my studio with another project I am putting together with a couple of singers (the PA700 will be driving all of the MIDI files and styles for our sound). I have been putting finishing touches on the 250+ sequences I have done (and writing more). I am probably going to buy another PA700 in late September and am eyeing the red one Smile

I also revamped/redesigned my studio for a better workflow.

I also released another album a few weeks ago and have been promoting that.

I will likely get the i3 out this week and integrate it into the studio setup.

With regard to the pedal doing doubly duty as a 'shift' button - I could see the value in that for many Smile I am very used to doing things with my hands while playing so I never really experienced any difficulties doing it that way. Additionally, once I set up my layers in each 'Favorite', I am pretty well set up for the songs.

The biggest thing I would like to see is being able to save custom STS settings for each style. THAT would be huge for me because then instead of simply saving a 'Favorite', I could actually save an entire style, with STS settings as well.

Another thing that I have foind a bit problematic with the i3 is that I have not located a setting where I can change the 'PAN' settings for a layer. When modifying different favorites to something I could use, some of the sounds in the Upper 1/2/3 are panned to one side or the other and I have not found a way to change that.

I am glad your i3 is working for you. Enjoy Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Backpool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry - sounds like you are busy!!

yes i get your point re saving fav. custom sts would be good, although you could not do that on the EK either I just used to use a bank of set lists but you are a bit limited with 10 x 4 on the ek ( 10 x 5 on the i3 ) and you have to save to usb and reload if you need more.
not got around to pan yet.

No- the 'shift' thing was just mainly for 'transpose'...for some odd reason they have made octave the primary function of this button...and that can be tricky in performance... as i use transpose a lot on the fly.

Ido miss the style and set cat. decals on the board itself like the EK50( as i am really an arranger player ) but recon i will print them off and laminate to the board as a quick ref. not a problem on my PA as they are listed on screen.

The only other thing the Ek had which i miss is the keypad, this was great to just bang in the number i wanted to assign for style/ sound / set etc... but can manage, so it's no big deal.

But, all in all what a gem of a board and great 'bang for your buck'....as you say in the States !!
When I think back - as a gigging teenager ( 40 years ago!! I only play for fun now ) a decent organ/board was the price of a car!!

Best wishes and thanks again Harry - i do hope we get more interest in this on here than we have had for the EK

Keith
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backpool wrote:
Thanks Harry - sounds like you are busy!!

yes i get your point re saving fav. custom sts would be good, although you could not do that on the EK either I just used to use a bank of set lists but you are a bit limited with 10 x 4 on the ek ( 10 x 5 on the i3 ) and you have to save to usb and reload if you need more.
not got around to pan yet.

No- the 'shift' thing was just mainly for 'transpose'...for some odd reason they have made octave the primary function of this button...and that can be tricky in performance... as i use transpose a lot on the fly.

Ido miss the style and set cat. decals on the board itself like the EK50( as i am really an arranger player ) but recon i will print them off and laminate to the board as a quick ref. not a problem on my PA as they are listed on screen.

The only other thing the Ek had which i miss is the keypad, this was great to just bang in the number i wanted to assign for style/ sound / set etc... but can manage, so it's no big deal.

But, all in all what a gem of a board and great 'bang for your buck'....as you say in the States !!
When I think back - as a gigging teenager ( 40 years ago!! I only play for fun now ) a decent organ/board was the price of a car!!

Best wishes and thanks again Harry - i do hope we get more interest in this on here than we have had for the EK

Keith

I remember gigging all those years ago for myself as well. I turned 50 in May and have been playing professionally since I was a young teen. It is hard to believe that I have been at it that long Smile

My first 'arranger' was an old Bontempi unit (similar to the Casios of the day) and used that thing with my Korg Poly-800 and my Realistic analog drum machine for years, until I started getting more professional gear (DX7, D50, VFX-SD, etc...).

My first real arranger was a Technics SX-PR270 Digital Ensemble ($5k USD was what I bought it for) and wrote lots of albums on that (MIDIed to other gear as well). I bought a Roland E-09 in the early 2000's and that was my go to arranger for the nursing home ministry (that I have done for 11 years now). I ended up buying a PA500 in the late 2000's but ended up getting rid of it because it never really clicked with me.

I got the PA700 in September 2017 and it has exceeded my expectations for an arranger - so much so that I am likely going to get another one in late-September as a backup.

I saw the i3 as a usable live instrument and a possible backup for the PA700 but due to the fact I cannot save my own STS settings, it makes it a bit harder to use it as a backup for the PA700. Live use for the i3 is just fine for me when I need it.

If I end up not using it, I can always give it to my daughter so she can have an instrument to mess around with.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i3 (new - 2020 model) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: