Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about Korg monologue on Logic Pro x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vagabond212

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Questions about Korg monologue on Logic Pro x Reply with quote

Hi community,

I just purchased a Korg monologue and is my first analogue synth ever (total novice) and there's a couple questions i'd like to ask.

Am i able to bring in external sounds into the Korg? if yes how?
Wave files?

Can I use the Korg mixer, vco, filter on logic instruments like esx24?
or even on audio files?

Thanks in advance for any help
StolenToast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The monologue (and I think all 'logue synths) has no external input. Some analog synths will have an input that inserts sound at the mixer or filter, but not the monologue.

The synthesis chain (VCO, VCF, VCA, effects) is purely analog on the mono, so there is no way to load new sounds or samples. That's the beauty of the mono, I think, it does one thing and does it very well for a good price.

I can't confirm right now but my minilogue xd can be used as a MIDI control surface for software instruments; the keybed and all of the knobs. The monologue may be able to do this as well.

You might be interested in modular synthesis, like Eurorack. In a modular synth you can patch anything from anywhere into anywhere. The caveat is that it is insanely expensive unless you're into DIY electronics.

Or go virtual: https://vcvrack.com/
Vagabond212

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your input StolenToast
you clarified things pretty well for me
Appreciate it
synthpeter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bring external audio into the Monologue, through the Audio in jack on the back. Do note however that this is an analog input; so no audio files.

The analog audio input is inserted at the VCF input, and is affected by cutoff (either dial or through LFO), resonance and drive.

You can also bring external patches into the Monologue, through the sound librarian (available from Korg website). These are not audio files, but dial and control settings that give a particular sound.

The Monologue has MIDI output, and outputs both keybed (polyphonic), and settings. There is a MIDI chart on the Korg website that lists the mapping, but these do differ between synths.. so weird stuff can and does happen..
StolenToast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
You can bring external audio into the Monologue, through the Audio in jack on the back. Do note however that this is an analog input; so no audio files.

The analog audio input is inserted at the VCF input, and is affected by cutoff (either dial or through LFO), resonance and drive.

You can also bring external patches into the Monologue, through the sound librarian (available from Korg website). These are not audio files, but dial and control settings that give a particular sound.

The Monologue has MIDI output, and outputs both keybed (polyphonic), and settings. There is a MIDI chart on the Korg website that lists the mapping, but these do differ between synths.. so weird stuff can and does happen..

I did not know that it had audio input! Sorry for the misleading information. I thought that was headphone out.
Vagabond212

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks synthpeter, ill try that!Smile
synthpeter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagabond212 wrote:
Thanks synthpeter, ill try that!Smile

If you do run audio into the Monologue, be aware that you need to open the VCF/VCA by pressing a key. To make life easier, you can use the sequencer to achieve that. Press a key, press play and press record until it has completed 16 steps, then switch off record; turn VCO1 and VCO2 low in the mixer, and you can use the Monologue as a sound processor. On my Monologue, I need to have the input signal quite high to get decent output.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: