Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Korg Minilogue XD do what the Roland TB-303 can do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K1tty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Can the Korg Minilogue XD do what the Roland TB-303 can do? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Complete newbie here so please be gentle...

I have been searching around the Internet for 'best synth for beginners' etc. and I really like the look of the Korg Minilogue XD. It has so many features that someone like me is unlikely ever to find it wanting. However...

In a check through the various features I can't seem to verify that it has a similar function to one that I like in the Roland TB-303. This is the function which plays a sequence and then allows you to transpose it by pressing single notes. This is neatly demonstrated in Claudio Passavanti's neat demo of 'I feel love' on the TB-303 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIBSN1_9Geo

Can anyone tell me if this is possible on the XD?

Many thanks!!
Kitty
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: the first things first Reply with quote

the first things first
welcome to the group!

ok budget is the big thing!!

second are you wanting to do this live or in the studio?

and third what gear do you have currently?

back in the day most of this stuff was done with expensive gear...
and lots and lots of time and over dubs for the studio...

now days we have lots of gear and keyboards that have a bunch of features like a sequencer built in...

I use the Korg radias units here in the studio..
they are a real power house of sound..
and there is software now out there to help with the overwhelming programming.

lets face it most folks do not have the budget to handle 250K and up in hardware gear that is nice to be able to handle a live work load..

here is another way to get there on the cheap.
software synths.

yup programs for your laptop that can sequence...
and soft synths for making the sounds..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgBcuBNeLuE
slip on your head phones for that link.

and maybe this for ipad and then use garage band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDAv4m1wKo

i use this style of sequencer here in the studio.
they are pricy but power full.
tangerine dream used them. Manikin SCHRITTMACHER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhL3EBpejQU
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: here is another video of the scrittmacher in action Reply with quote

here is another video of the scrittmacher in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WW383ylzNI

pretty cool stuff!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
K1tty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Iowagold for the welcome and all that information and thanks for the video - great! This is for fun only (the studio being my bedroom) and I don't have any other equipment at the moment.

The reason for asking specifically about the Korg Minilogue XD is that a friend of mine has kindly offered one to me at a very good price but I don't want to buy it if it doesn't have this live transposing feature. Do you (or does anyone) know if it will do that?

Thanks!
StolenToast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XD and I think it does not have that feature. I just went through all the menu settings and did not find that. Closest thing is that you can transpose the sequence, but that's not the same. The trade-off is that it's a polysynth so you can play new notes over your sequence groove, which is fun. TB-303 can't do that because it is mono. I can still highly recommend the xd, I think it sounds absolutely amazing, especially the onboard effects.

Something to consider is that some MIDI controllers can do this. My old akai MAX25 can transpose its sequences by keys, which means that any synth I plug it into now has that feature too. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure other controllers will do it too.
K1tty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi StolenToast,

Thanks for your reply! This gets interesting because in my efforts to get an answer to this one I raised a question with Korg themselves and the reply I got is as follows:

"Yes, since its version 2 update, the minilogue xd has a sequence transpose option as standard. This is demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetYQkdX4qs"

The problem with the video (which is by Falling Islands) is that it's not an instructional one so it's hard to understand what the player has done to enable this feature. In the first minute or so he/she appears to record a sequence and then immediately is able to transpose all the notes in the sequence just by playing a note.

PS In your post you say "Closest thing is that you can transpose the sequence, but that's not the same." - I wondered what you meant by this - perhaps that you can manually transpose the sequence when not playing?
K1tty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and further to my post above I am pleased to say that I think I have finally answered this question - and it's good news!

I found an article on the SoundonSound website here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-minilogue-xd

...which contains the following:

"Unfortunately, there's no way to transpose a sequence while it's playing, which is a significant shortcoming, but you can record transposed sequences in adjacent Programs and switch between them while the sequencer is running."

However, this was posted in June 2019 and I noticed from the Korg website that the 'Version 2' software (in which Korg says this feature was added) was published a few months later on November 29. So, there was definitely a chance that the feature now exists although I couldn't see it in the list of changes here:

https://www.korg.com/uk/news/2019/110803/

I then decided to look on the update instruction video which, as well as showing you how to do the update, also demonstrates the new features which include what the presenter initially calls 'Key Trigger' but later describes as 'Key Trigger Transpose'. That's what I have been looking for!

You'll find this from 2' 41" into this video:

https://youtu.be/Y8oLvq9vKes

Well, I think that finally solves the mystery! I'm off to buy an XD...
StolenToast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh excellent. I don't have v2 installed yet so that would explain why i don't see it. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I actually said the wrong thing earlier, you can go into the Program Edit menu and transpose the program by cents and notes, which affects the sequence in the program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: