Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screws on base of original Microkorg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogueRock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Screws on base of original Microkorg Reply with quote

Hi

I am creating a working Mircokorg from the debris of two trashed Microkorgs and a few spare parts. It's going well, but I'm missing the 11 screws that secure the bottom panel to the rest of the synth.

Does anyone here know what thread size/type these screws are?

Thanks & regards
SL
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the exact same screws for a 20 year old synth is not going to be easy. Parts is Parts still lists the lower case for the microKORG as available, showing 1 in stock, but no fixing hardware:

https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog/korg-lower-case-microkorg

Viewing a Youtube video, it was possible to make an estimate of what the screws might be. Looking at how the screws came out, they are blackened steel finish, cross-head, self-tapping screws.

Measurements were taken from a YouTube still image taken from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qO1zcdH6V4 at 9m:29s in full screen mode.

The image was viewed using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, on a 1280 x 1024 pixel monitor, measurements were made using JR Screen Ruler v1.5.

For scale, the inter-battery features on the battery compartment were measured to be ~30 pixels = diameter of AA battery plus clearance,
so 1 pixel = approximately 14.1/30 = 0.47mm.

There are 11 screws in total, of 3 different lengths, all screws appear to have the same, or similar diameter:

Longest - Middle 3 screws, 33 pixels, = 15.51mm long

Midlength - Back 3 screws, 23 pixels, = 10.81mm long

Shortest - Front 5 screws, 15 pixels, = 7.05mm long

Diameter - approximately 6 or 7 pixels, = 3.055mm

So it looks likely that the microKORG screws are 3mm diameter. To verify this, check the clearance holes in the lower case. They should be something like 3.3-3.5mm diameter. Screws such as this could be bought from e.g:

https://de.screwerk.com/en/shop/grid/stp.html?L=7.00&d1=3.0&drive=H&head=B&material=B

It's not a cheap option, unless you buy 200,000-off, but these are likely to be the most suitable.

As a cheaper alternative, look for e.g. RC Screws M3 x 10 Black panhead self Tapping (For Plastic). They're not as nice as those offered by Screwerk, and 7mm and 15mm lengths are not available.

AnalogueRock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voip

Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed reply. You are a star.

I am so sorry I missed your reply. It would have been really useful. I need to look at my notification settings on this board because I didn't receive any kind of notification. My bad.

Shortly after I posted my post, I emailed Korg service UK and asked what screws they were. I wasn't expecting a reply, but I got this...

Quote:
Sorry for the delay the screws you require are M3 self-tapping.

So, you are basically right!

I wasn't sure what length I needed so I managed to order an assorted pack of M3 self tapping screws from Amazon UK for a few quid. It took some trial and error to work out which length fitted in each hole, but I am happy to say I got there in the end and the whole thing is now screwed together very snugly.

Thank you again so very much.

Cheers
S-L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: