Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with aftertouch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mezzopiano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Help with aftertouch Reply with quote

Hi guys

I come from a Triton Extreme background, i was used to just create combis, add FXs, some layerings and sampling.

I always wanted to create sounds from scratch but it just too difficult

Now i own a brand new Kronos 2 and i am in awe with this beast, but i am also facing some difficulties because of the ENDLESS things you can do with it

Now i have a simple question that i have never needed to recreate:

I have a piano patch that plays normally but when you press harder (aftertouch) i need some strings/pads to come out of it, someone has a tutorial of dealing with aftertouch? Not just the usual vibrato, but for volume
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Welcome to Club Kronos!

You picked a pretty tricky first one to get stuck on. I don't think there's any way to control volume with aftertouch in the combi settings (although I can't say I know everything about the Kronos). So you will probably have to modify the program. I'll walk you through a simple one.

1. Go to program I-D012 - Cinematique Strings

2. Let's make a copy of it so the original is unmodified. Choose Write Program from the drop down and pick an unused program. I picked I-CC032, but you can pick anything that's open.

3. Go to the EXi tab

4. Go the AMS Mixer tab.

5. Under AMS Mixer 1, choose the Mixer Type of Offset. Set the Offset value to 100. Here we are just essentially creating a constant value.

6. Go to the Amp/Driver tab, then the Amp Mod. subtab. Set AMS 1 to AMS Mixer 1. Set the intensity to -99. Now when you play a note, you won't hear anything. We are scaling the amp level (which is on the first sub-tab, by the way - currently set at 75) to -100%. No sound.

7. Now to the right of AMS 1, set Intensity Mod AMS to Aftertouch. Set its intensity to 99. Now when you play a key, you won't hear anything. But as you press into it (aftertouch) the volume will come up when you do. What we are doing here is setting up a second modulation source (aftertouch) to control the intensity of the first modulation source (AMS Mixer 1, which is a constant).

8. Save this program.

9. Now go to an empty combi. I chose IE-001. It already has a piano sound for program 1. You can change it to a different one if you want.

10. For the second program, select your new copy of Cinematique Strings. It won't sound yet when you play.

11. Go to tab 3 Timbre Parameter, then to sub-tab 1 MIDI. For program 2, set the MIDI channel to 01G (global channel). Now both programs will respond to the keyboard at once. But since our string program is set to have no amplitude until we increase it with aftertouch, you'll only hear it when you apply AT.

That should give you what you want, I think (although this particular example doesn't sound that great). I chose this simple example because that Cinematique strings program uses only 1 synth engine slot. Most of the factory string programs use 2 synth engine slots, so you'll need to repeat that process on the second synth (EXi 2 tab) when you modify the program. The process should be very similar for HD-1 programs but the tabs may be in slightly different places.

Hope that helps and if anyone has a simpler way, would love to hear it!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mezzopiano,

You can indeed control sound generation of a given sound with AT, even though on the Kronos it could become rather energy consuming as the AT is not the easiest to trigger, especially on the RH3-88 keyboard.

Other alternatives to AT could be :

- A given velocity level to trigger/hear the pad/string sound. For this, use the combi velocity zones tab.

- Other sources to start the pad/string sound, for example a on/off type pedal (plugged into the switch input jack).

There are of course many other ways as well. Cool
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, you are right KK. I really like the feel of the RH-3, but the AT is nearly useless to me. I guess they figure if you can lift the 53 lb. Kronos, you have the strength to engage the aftertouch, but definitely won't do so unless you really mean to. Smile

I like your alternate ideas here, and would add that an expression foot controller pedal would be a good one to let you fade in/out without removing your fingers from the keys.

I haven't set up a second keyboard since I got the Kronos, but that could potentially make AT more useful. I have a Novation semi-weighted controller that I really like the feel of. The AT is easy to engage, and is even poly AT (which the Kronos synth engines support even though the RH-3 only generates channel pressure).
Mezzopiano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man! Thank you very much! Didnt expected such a detailed answer!

I have already done it following your instructions and it worked like a charm! And as KK points out, the AT is a little difficult to trigger, but nonetheless it worked as expected!

There is a Piano called "L.Mays German Grand", (dont remember the number) that has only one EXi, is there a way to copy the "Cinematic Strings" EXi (i am still struggling understanding Exis and HD-1 engines, as there were only Osc for me in the Triton Extreme) into the L.Mays and do the same AMS Mixer settings that you did?

This because my TOC triggers and i am on the side of not creating and not having lots of lots of programs, i have already a Piano for this particular song and if there is a way to have just one Program (Piano) with the Aftertouch (Cinematic String) EXi copied into EXi2 it would do the trick

But if not, no problem! You have already helped me big time, anso i understand a little bit more of how Kronos works

I hope you are following me because english is not my main language and i am struggling to explain my idea, Embarassed

Lightbringer wrote:
Hi. Welcome to Club Kronos!

You picked a pretty tricky first one to get stuck on. I don't think there's any way to control volume with aftertouch in the combi settings (although I can't say I know everything about the Kronos). So you will probably have to modify the program. I'll walk you through a simple one.

1. Go to program I-D012 - Cinematique Strings

2. Let's make a copy of it so the original is unmodified. Choose Write Program from the drop down and pick an unused program. I picked I-CC032, but you can pick anything that's open.

3. Go to the EXi tab

4. Go the AMS Mixer tab.

5. Under AMS Mixer 1, choose the Mixer Type of Offset. Set the Offset value to 100. Here we are just essentially creating a constant value.

6. Go to the Amp/Driver tab, then the Amp Mod. subtab. Set AMS 1 to AMS Mixer 1. Set the intensity to -99. Now when you play a note, you won't hear anything. We are scaling the amp level (which is on the first sub-tab, by the way - currently set at 75) to -100%. No sound.

7. Now to the right of AMS 1, set Intensity Mod AMS to Aftertouch. Set its intensity to 99. Now when you play a key, you won't hear anything. But as you press into it (aftertouch) the volume will come up when you do. What we are doing here is setting up a second modulation source (aftertouch) to control the intensity of the first modulation source (AMS Mixer 1, which is a constant).

8. Save this program.

9. Now go to an empty combi. I chose IE-001. It already has a piano sound for program 1. You can change it to a different one if you want.

10. For the second program, select your new copy of Cinematique Strings. It won't sound yet when you play.

11. Go to tab 3 Timbre Parameter, then to sub-tab 1 MIDI. For program 2, set the MIDI channel to 01G (global channel). Now both programs will respond to the keyboard at once. But since our string program is set to have no amplitude until we increase it with aftertouch, you'll only hear it when you apply AT.

That should give you what you want, I think (although this particular example doesn't sound that great). I chose this simple example because that Cinematique strings program uses only 1 synth engine slot. Most of the factory string programs use 2 synth engine slots, so you'll need to repeat that process on the second synth (EXi 2 tab) when you modify the program. The process should be very similar for HD-1 programs but the tabs may be in slightly different places.

Hope that helps and if anyone has a simpler way, would love to hear it!
Mezzopiano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that velocity level idea but my combi is already out of keyzones (i only have the Kronos 73). besides, the song i am trying to recreate sounds like the strings are triggered by AT (or maybe the Envelope has a slow attack)

KK wrote:
Hi Mezzopiano,

You can indeed control sound generation of a given sound with AT, even though on the Kronos it could become rather energy consuming as the AT is not the easiest to trigger, especially on the RH3-88 keyboard.

Other alternatives to AT could be :

- A given velocity level to trigger/hear the pad/string sound. For this, use the combi velocity zones tab.

- Other sources to start the pad/string sound, for example a on/off type pedal (plugged into the switch input jack).

There are of course many other ways as well. Cool
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mezzopiano wrote:
Wow man! Thank you very much! Didnt expected such a detailed answer!

I have already done it following your instructions and it worked like a charm! And as KK points out, the AT is a little difficult to trigger, but nonetheless it worked as expected!

There is a Piano called "L.Mays German Grand", (dont remember the number) that has only one EXi, is there a way to copy the "Cinematic Strings" EXi (i am still struggling understanding Exis and HD-1 engines, as there were only Osc for me in the Triton Extreme) into the L.Mays and do the same AMS Mixer settings that you did?

This because my TOC triggers and i am on the side of not creating and not having lots of lots of programs, i have already a Piano for this particular song and if there is a way to have just one Program (Piano) with the Aftertouch (Cinematic String) EXi copied into EXi2 it would do the trick

But if not, no problem! You have already helped me big time, anso i understand a little bit more of how Kronos works

I hope you are following me because english is not my main language and i am struggling to explain my idea, Embarassed

You're very welcome! Yes, the Kronos is incredibly deep. It has taken me years to understand it, and I knew a lot about synthesizers when I got it. AND I'm not done yet!

You're in luck. I think you can do what you're asking. First off, all the synths in the Kronos are EXis, except for the HD-1 synth. It's it own type (HD-1). You can't mix and match HD-1 and EXi in a program. But you can mix and match EXis. The L.Mays German Grand is an EXi, and so is Cinematique Strings. So you can mix those.

1. Open the copy of the Cinematique Stings patch we created above - the one that already has the AT set up like you want.

2. Go to the Common tab, then the Program Basic sub tab.

3. Use the drop down menu in the top right and choose Copy EXi Oscillator.

4. Leave "From" set to EXi 1, because the piano patch is set up in slot 1 of its program. In "Program" select the L.Mays piano patch (it is I-C004 if you haven't customized anything). In the "To" field, select EXi 2. What we're doing here is copying the piano patch into the second synth slot of the existing string patch.

5. Click OK. Try it out. Don't forget to Write Program to save this modified patch, and possibly rename it so you can identify it later.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
I guess they figure if you can lift the 53 lb. Kronos, you have the strength to engage the aftertouch, but definitely won't do so unless you really mean to. Smile

Indeed, before I did a custom AT mod on my K2, it probably needed about 53 lbs to initiate the AT. Laughing

You are totally right about a foot controller pedal being an even better solution for Mezzopiano. I use the Korg EXP-2 pedal on several programs and it works well.
Mezzopiano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the controller pedal is a little bit overkill for my situation. Really is just one song i need to use it and the AT string sound lasts for 2 seconds and is not used anymore in the song. But it is like a "iconic" part of the song.

Btw the song is "FullMoon" from Finnish Power Metal band Sonata Arctica, the AT sound is just before the Verse

KK wrote:

You are totally right about a foot controller pedal being an even better solution for Mezzopiano. I use the Korg EXP-2 pedal on several programs and it works well.

Awesome! I will try that as soon as i am in front of the Kronos. Thank you very much!

Lightbringer wrote:

You're very welcome! Yes, the Kronos is incredibly deep. It has taken me years to understand it, and I knew a lot about synthesizers when I got it. AND I'm not done yet!

You're in luck. I think you can do what you're asking. First off, all the synths in the Kronos are EXis, except for the HD-1 synth. It's it own type (HD-1). You can't mix and match HD-1 and EXi in a program. But you can mix and match EXis. The L.Mays German Grand is an EXi, and so is Cinematique Strings. So you can mix those.

1. Open the copy of the Cinematique Stings patch we created above - the one that already has the AT set up like you want.

2. Go to the Common tab, then the Program Basic sub tab.

3. Use the drop down menu in the top right and choose Copy EXi Oscillator.

4. Leave "From" set to EXi 1, because the piano patch is set up in slot 1 of its program. In "Program" select the L.Mays piano patch (it is I-C004 if you haven't customized anything). In the "To" field, select EXi 2. What we're doing here is copying the piano patch into the second synth slot of the existing string patch.

5. Click OK. Try it out. Don't forget to Write Program to save this modified patch, and possibly rename it so you can identify it later.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, one fairly easy way to set this up is to set both patches, piano on track 1 and strings on track 2 to play on global midi channel 1. Then route the strings to a Stereo Limiter IFX, set to 100% wet and gain reduction set to -inf, so it completely disappears. Then set the AMS for dry/wet to Aftertouch and the adjustment to +100, meaning the aftertouch will bring the strings back in.

As others have pointed out, the after touch on the 88 keybed is super hard and requires a lot of weight, but you can calibrate it under global settings to be just "very hard" rather than the default which is "ridicoulusly hard" Smile At least, I've found on mine that if I calibrate it to the very minimal, I can use it Smile
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one there Gunnar, and that should work in Combi mode too without modifying any programs.

I never had any luck with adjusting the AT curve. For me it's more like 'too hard to bother using' and 'more too hard to bother using.' Smile
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Combi you can use a controller pedal to to fade in other Timbres, like strings, etc. You have to set the controller to CC#11 (Expression) in Global Mode. Then it's all abut using the MIDI filters to define which Timbres will be effected by the Expression pedal. And the beauty of this is you can Write this Combi as a template for future use. I do this quite a bit and it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: