Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Kronos Sound Collection - would you help build it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Free Kronos Sound Collection - would you help build it? Reply with quote

The Vision
Together, create a free bank of EXi programs for the mighty Kronos. By the community, for the community.

The Question
Would YOU be willing to participate by creating one or more original programs to contribute to this bank? If so, reply and let us know.

The Purpose
    * To create a diverse bank of free programs for Kronos
    * To engage the community here in something fun
    * To help grow the participants' skills with sound design on the Kronos
    * An opportunity to learn from one another, and just to chat about our discoveries and experiences

TL;DR in FAQ Form
If I reply, am I on the hook?
Absolutely. Er, I mean, no, I can't make you do jack. Smile I'm just looking to gauge interest to determine whether its worth spending the time to come up with some minimal guidelines and mechanisms to actually get a project like this off the ground and across the finish line. If 10 or more people seem enthusiastic, it might be worth doing.

Would my program be "judged" for inclusion?
No. Really even in pro/paid banks, I tend to find a few gems, a bunch of stuff that sounds OK but isn't for me, and usually a few that sound like rubbish or filler to me. If you and I went through the same bank we'd likely find a similar breakdown, but wouldn't agree which patches fell in which category. One person's trash is another's treasure and all that. So if it's good enough for you, it's good enough to include.

What if I'd like to participate but my sound design skill is limited or zero?
There are probably other ways you could get involved if you're interested. I'm always interested in constructive criticism ("hey I can't get this to sit in a mix", or "it would probably sound better with a little less verb by default" or "it sounds too thin" or whatever). Are you a great facilitator? Help with that.

If you're interested in sound design, there's no better way to learn than by doing. I wouldn't expect this to be a tutorial, but would hope it would be a collaboration where we try to help one another out. I'm not a pro sound designer. Enthusiastic amateur is good enough to participate in a community bank.

What's the Timeline?
No real time line in mind. I think it's something that could be added to over time.

Why EXi?
8 of the 9 Kronos synths are EXis. They don't require (but some can use) samples. So many of the programs would be small (disk space wise). Quite a few of the paid banks out there are HD-1 banks. EXi banks seem to be the minority. So this is a chance to explore some of the deepest synths on the Kronos.

What about?
Yeah, that's about as far as I've thought it through. If this project sounds interesting to you and you have other questions, concerns, great ideas, please bring them to the table. This would not be my project - it would be our project.

Last edited by Lightbringer on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lightbringer,

Nice idea. I think a few things to define early would be how many types of programs each person would bring or want to work on - for example, a certain of number of pad-like sounds, leads, etc. A good bank would need some sort of variety, I suppose. Even though if everyone comes with great programs, variety is not even important. Cool

Who knows, if many are interested, a main theme for the bank could even be defined. For example, sounds from movies, etc.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lightbringer,

That's a great idea, and I'm up for contributing a few sounds.

I'm not sure that trying to define the contents or themes of it would be particularly helpful, since we all have different tastes and each of us would almost certainly use any given sound in a different way to anybody else. Perhaps it would be better to just present it as a bank of sounds, and leave it at that.

Thanks for proposing such a good idea.

Pete.
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lightbringer,

Great cyber name and great idea. Thanks for this light-bring idea. I can't contribute with sounds, because I didn't make a sounds, but I really truly appreciate your idea. I wish you all best.
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a great way to get people more engaged with their Kronos. I’ll contribute the sound made in the multitap chorus/delay (4taps) vid. I’ll spruce it up with proper chord pads, two KARMA scenes, and realtime control assignments before sending it off. Are you able to use the Kronos Editor? It’s easier to export a single sound with the editor but you’ll need it too in order to access and dump the preset into your Kronos. If you don’t have the editor I can send you a .pcg file.

If anyone watches that vid you can skip close to the end to hear the sound.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Charles - I know that it will help me. I already make some of my own sounds, but my approach to it is pretty random. More practice can only help.

Also, in my experience, the sounds I make don't always turn out to be especially complex or tweakable. It is often the case that a plain or ugly sound sits perfectly in a track whereas a richly textured, morphing pad will overwhelm it and become tiresome very rapidly. So a lack of experience shouldn't discourage anyone from trying - just make something, and see what happens...
IAA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, I’ll contribute 2 programs of my HD1 programs. One a church organ from my old mellotron which I sampled, and the other an up to date Moog One PWM string pad.
I’m in between house moves at the mo so my studio is in boxes, but when it’s back up in a couple of weeks this will be one of my priorities!

Ian.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would be happy to contribute a few sounds I have made over the years....

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Stoffel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would I!
Kronos 2 88, Roland AX-Synth, 2x Roland A-800 Pro, Behringer Vocoder VC340, Synton Vocoder, Neo Instruments Ventilator 2, Panda MIDI Beam, Joh.P.Andresen Harmonium, Studiologic SL990, Beyerdynamic DT770/880, FL Studio, Shure WH20, AKG WMS470, Shure SE535, Xenyx Control 1, U-Phoria UMC404HD, Visaton Monitor, Gig Performer, PreSonus Studio 26c, Macbook Pro
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a great response so far. Thank you all for your enthusiasm! A few quick replies and then some questions/discussion points for you down at the bottom.

KK wrote:
I think a few things to define early would be how many types of programs each person would bring or want to work on - for example, a certain of number of pad-like sounds, leads, etc.

My initial thinking was to try to have as few guidelines as possible in order to maximize participation. I think people are more likely to participate if they can contribute whatever they want. I do really like the idea of keeping some kind of running total of programs by category. That way if someone's feeling ambiguous about what to create or contribute, they can look and see there are a bunch of pads and no basses, for example.

Pedja wrote:
Great cyber name and great idea. Thanks for this light-bring idea. I can't contribute with sounds, because I didn't make a sounds, but I really truly appreciate your idea. I wish you all best.

Haha, thanks. I wasn't necessarily thinking that people would already have these sounds made. But rather that they could be made over the course of the coming weeks and months. So feel free to jump in if you're interested! Of course if anyone has programs ready to contribute already, those are more than welcome too.

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Seems like a great way to get people more engaged with their Kronos. I’ll contribute the sound made in the multitap chorus/delay (4taps) vid. I’ll spruce it up with proper chord pads, two KARMA scenes, and realtime control assignments before sending it off. Are you able to use the Kronos Editor? It’s easier to export a single sound with the editor but you’ll need it too in order to access and dump the preset into your Kronos. If you don’t have the editor I can send you a .pcg file.

What an amazing way to kick something like this off - that the first submission has a full video tutorial on the making of! I was originally thinking this would be an EXi bank, but I'm actually now thinking we shouldn't limit it to that. See questions below.

Yes, I have the editor. I'll admit I don't use it that much and tend to work directly on the K, but I can certainly fire it up. I didn't know it could import/export like that. Always neat to learn something new. Maybe that's a good tool for any collaborations on works in progress?

pete.m wrote:
I already make some of my own sounds, but my approach to it is pretty random. More practice can only help.

Also, in my experience, the sounds I make don't always turn out to be especially complex or tweakable. It is often the case that a plain or ugly sound sits perfectly in a track whereas a richly textured, morphing pad will overwhelm it and become tiresome very rapidly. So a lack of experience shouldn't discourage anyone from trying - just make something, and see what happens...

Totally with you here. One of my big hopes for this project is that it will encourage more people to dig deeper into their Kronos. We have one of the most sophisticated hardware synths ever made here. I know I've only used a small percent of what's in there, and this could be some extra inspiration to go further. Also completely agree -complex sounds are great. But there's nothing wrong with simple sounds - sometimes they are the most usable ones!

IAA wrote:
Good idea, I’ll contribute 2 programs of my HD1 programs.

Derek Cook wrote:
I think I would be happy to contribute a few sounds I have made over the years....

Stoffel wrote:
So would I!

Awesome, thank you!

Now Some Questions

EXi AND HD-1?
I was originally thinking a bank which has to be either HD-1 or EXi. I'm now thinking maybe go for a collection that has a bank of each. Some have already offered up HD-1 programs. Plus the Wavestate has me excited about the possibilities of wave-sequencing again - even the 1.0 variety.

Thoughts?

File Sharing
Google Drive or OneDrive would be easy way to share files, plus they're backed up, versioned, etc. I could offer up a folder with some space on either one. Would this be an inhibitor for anyone? (e.g. don't want to share your email via PM, against using the big tech giants' services, etc?) I have run into some objections on other community based projects where people didn't want to, say, create a Microsoft account. So thought it was worth taking a pulse on the vibe here...

Discussion
Do you think we should see if Mr. Sharp would be kind enough to create a sub-board for discussion around this? Or will a thread or two on the main Kronos board be enough? Could possibly just tag posts with a keyword in the subject.

Other Guidelines
I think keeping the guidelines as minimal as possible will encourage the most participation. I.e. only have guidelines that are needed to make this successful.

Right now the only big one that comes to mind is:

- the programs shouldn't rely on any 3rd party samples unless you created them yourself and contribute them. They could use samples from the factory library, but not from a sound pack you bought (even if it is a Korg sound pack) or even downloaded for free. That way the collection will be compatible with a stock Kronos with no expansions.

What else can you think of?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever some will use a specific drum accompaniment or wavesequence in their programs, it will be important they provide the original name of the drum track program and/or wavesequence, for example in a little text file.

This because everyone might now have a custom order for their banks, programs and wavesequences, totally different from the original factory stuff. So with this info, anyone can easily relink the right components to hear the new programs correctly. Just a thought... Cool
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-1 Or EXi Bank ?

Well, it is true and not true !! It's easy to create a mixed HD-1/Exi bank, but it will be a Combi bank.[/u]

Furthermore, doing that permits to send an HD-1 program sound into one of the Audio In Exi Input (AL-1, MOd-7, MS-20, STR-1) wich gives a great amount of possibilities. But that's another point.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
If ever some will use a specific drum accompaniment or wavesequence in their programs, it will be important they provide the original name of the drum track program and/or wavesequence, for example in a little text file.

This because everyone might now have a custom order for their banks, programs and wavesequences, totally different from the original factory stuff. So with this info, anyone can easily relink the right components to hear the new programs correctly. Just a thought... Cool

Excellent point - thanks for bringing it up. I hadn't thought of that.

Liviou2004 wrote:
HD-1 Or EXi Bank ?

Well, it is true and not true !! It's easy to create a mixed HD-1/Exi bank, but it will be a Combi bank.[/u]

Furthermore, doing that permits to send an HD-1 program sound into one of the Audio In Exi Input (AL-1, MOd-7, MS-20, STR-1) wich gives a great amount of possibilities. But that's another point.

You're right, although the programs that make up a combi have to live in a program bank somewhere. Do you think we should try to include combis in the collection? I like the idea from the perspective that we might get even more participation. I think they could be fairly problematic from a sharing perspective though, since they will depend on program references that may not be valid on any given user's workstation.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Yes, I have the editor. I'll admit I don't use it that much and tend to work directly on the K, but I can certainly fire it up. I didn't know it could import/export like that. Always neat to learn something new. Maybe that's a good tool for any collaborations on works in progress?

Exporting a single preset from the editor is faster than putting a bank on a USB stick and deleting all the other programs on there. Plus when you export an editor file it's already on the computer instead of having to pull it from a thumb drive.

Lightbringer wrote:
I was originally thinking a bank which has to be either HD-1 or EXi. I'm now thinking maybe go for a collection that has a bank of each. Some have already offered up HD-1 programs. Plus the Wavestate has me excited about the possibilities of wave-sequencing again - even the 1.0 variety.

Oh yah whoops totally forgot about the focus on EXi. I'm down for either. Wave sequencing would be fun to jump back into even with stock Kronos samples. If we stick to EXi for convenience I can just make a patch in my next video on the 6 tap chorus/delay.

Lightbringer wrote:
the programs shouldn't rely on any 3rd party samples unless you created them yourself and contribute them. They could use samples from the factory library, but not from a sound pack you bought (even if it is a Korg sound pack) or even downloaded for free. That way the collection will be compatible with a stock Kronos with no expansions.

KK wrote:

This because everyone might now have a custom order for their banks, programs and wavesequences, totally different from the original factory stuff. So with this info, anyone can easily relink the right components to hear the new programs correctly. Just a thought...

That's partially why I used a GM drum kit in that one video's patch. Makes it easier to reference since those can't be edited or swapped. I'd rather not deal with samples if it can be helped.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Exporting a single preset from the editor is faster than putting a bank on a USB stick and deleting all the other programs on there. Plus when you export an editor file it's already on the computer instead of having to pull it from a thumb drive.

That does sound slick!

CharlesFerraro wrote:

Oh yah whoops totally forgot about the focus on EXi. I'm down for either. Wave sequencing would be fun to jump back into even with stock Kronos samples. If we stick to EXi for convenience I can just make a patch in my next video on the 6 tap chorus/delay.

I'm currently thinking collecting both EXi and HD-1 programs is the way to go. Several others who have offered to contribute have offered HD-1 programs they already have made. HD-1 has a lot of fun things on tap too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: