Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Korg Krome 88 Advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexikeys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: New Korg Krome 88 Advice please Reply with quote

Dear Members, I'm new to this site so hello fellow musicians!

I bought a new Korg Krome 88 about three years ago. For various reasons, time restraints and distractions I had it left boxed for said years until yesterday - mad I know! So I finally put it out on it's stand ready to be inspired. I was a pro musician for many years and have owned various weighted digital pianos and synths. I went for the Krome because it's fairly light in weight and it seemed to have great reviews. I also tried it at the time in a music store.

With all this is in mind when I came to play it yesterday I'm sad to say, I was pretty underwhelmed. I plugged some headphones into the front headphone socket and while auditioning the sounds, found that many of them sounded weird. Many sounded over effected and very distant. I tried a second pair of headphones and it was the same. One of the sounds which was a synth bass, I could hardly hear at all. I have tried programmes and combis but on just going through the programme bank, found the first default piano 00 quite loud, bright and trebly and then the next sound which I seem to remember was an electric piano, very quiet/distant and very effected with reverb etc.

I tried plugging the headphones into the outputs at the back and the sound was better but in mono. Is there something a miss with the headphone port do you think? I remember loving this instrument when I demod one in a store several years back with headphones, but was deflated with mine last night. Usually, auditioning with headphones gives you the best sound but it seems something is afoot, so can anyone shed some light please.

Many thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

It might be better to post the issue in the Krome section.

There are a number of possibilities that could be explored. Three years means the Krome is out of warranty, presumably.

Disconnect everything from the Krome i.e. USB cables, SD card, pedals, before doing any testing. Just power and headphones (or amplifier). Nothing else.

First, try cleaning the headphone jack plug and socket contacts, and also the power connector plug and socket. Three years without use is a long time and oxidation on the contacting surfaces can give rise to "ethereal" or just plain wrong sounds.

Another thing that could be tried, if contact cleaning results in no improvement, is to perform a factory reset/Initialization, as detailed in page 125 of the Operation Guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: