Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effect morphing with Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Effect morphing with Kronos Reply with quote

Has Anyone done “effect morphing” with Kronos Effect Engine ( via SysEX ) from external DAW ?
I know it’s possible, but i would like to know if all changes of parameters occur smooth enough to keep up with a midi track at negligible delay.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Effect morphing with Kronos Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Has Anyone done “effect morphing” with Kronos Effect Engine ( via SysEX ) from external DAW ?
I know it’s possible, but i would like to know if all changes of parameters occur smooth enough to keep up with a midi track at negligible delay.

All depends of what you call "effect morphing" ? Is it a smooth transition fading between two different effects (from Phaser to Pitch Shifter for example) ? Is it a true morphing interpolation (real morphing) ? Is it smootth transition for one or several parameters inside one effect ?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Effect morphing with Kronos Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
All depends of what you call "effect morphing" ? Is it a smooth transition fading between two different effects (from Phaser to Pitch Shifter for example) ? Is it a true morphing interpolation (real morphing) ? Is it smootth transition for one or several parameters inside one effect ?

a smootth transition for one or several parameters inside one effect.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Effect morphing with Kronos Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Well, I know it perfectly works inside the Kronos Seq, that creates a sysex event that can't be edited or modified but it can be moved or deleted. I've never tried it in a DAW, though. It would be fun to do it !
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Effect morphing with Kronos Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Well, I know it perfectly works inside the Kronos Seq, that creates a sysex event that can't be edited or modified but it can be moved or deleted. I've never tried it in a DAW, though. It would be fun to do it !

Then I have to sit down and spend a good time to inject messages, to see how it goes.
I do it often with external effects but the process is much clearer and quicker with MIDI CC.
Here we are dealing with SysEx.
I am running out of effect units, after acquiring Blofeld , so I thought I use Kronos instead until I buy something.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Effect morphing with Kronos Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Then I have to sit down and spend a good time to inject messages, to see how it goes.
I do it often with external effects but the process is much clearer and quicker with MIDI CC.
Here we are dealing with SysEx.
I am running out of effect units, after acquiring Blofeld , so I thought I use Kronos instead until I buy something.

Yes, you're right. There could be an off-putting job consisting in sending the sysex message from Kronos to MIDI-Ox in order to identify each-parameter sysex identification ....for each paramter of the 197 effetct !!! Then, it would be easy te create a kind of Effects Sysex Library, usable in a DAW.
Personnaly, I'm not sure to get enough courage and patience to do this work !
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Effect morphing with Kronos Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Personnaly, I'm not sure to get enough courage and patience to do this work !

Thank you for putting me off. Very Happy
To make 1 or 2 messages ( which I do often only to init the Kronos COMBI ) would be worth a try, but if too many I might just get “bogged down”.
I better go shopping online. I am thinking to get BigSky and use it as send/return Reverb, and my TC for the rest. I remember I saw some good demos on youtube. I only have to check the signal level compatibility.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effects aren’t really intended to be modulated in real-time with SysEx. It can be done, but the results may not be particularly desirable.

What about if you were to setup four or more IFX and use the vector envelope/joystick to morph between them? Would that work?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
The effects aren’t really intended to be modulated in real-time with SysEx.

Yes, they are ! This possibility have been planned : see operation manual, p.85 :

Quote:
Recording internal parameter changes
You can use SysEx for automation of internal KRONOS effects and Program parameters.

That gives real sound creatiion possibilities
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:
The effects aren’t really intended to be modulated in real-time with SysEx.

Yes, they are ! This possibility have been planned : see operation manual, p.85 :

Quote:
Recording internal parameter changes
You can use SysEx for automation of internal KRONOS effects and Program parameters.

That gives real sound creatiion possibilities

Sooner or later I will give a try and will post my findings here.
I’ve been building a little application ( software), some sort of dictionary, that recalls instantly the exact SysEx of Kronos. I will post it here the link too, once is finished ( will be FREE ! )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: