Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A New Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
So everybody's done with learning, knowing and using in a deep, meaningful and regular way:

- Jazz performance on the Kronos pianos and drawbar organ?

- MS20Ex, PolySixEx, AL-1, STR-1, MOD-7

- Waves equencing and Vector Synthesis

- Dynamic MIDI

- AMS

- 14 effects processors with over a hundred effects alforithms

you're done with all those - right? And need extra things because you've exhausted all that can be done with them - right?

That’s ironic coming from you given the vast amount of synths in your ever growing collection. Very Happy

Regards
Sharp.

Errr - oh yeah! I'd forgotten about that.

Come on Korg - where' the new Kronos ???
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
GregC wrote:
The new color chassis thing is like Korg printing money. They know the cosmetics and limited supply will sell out, close to MSRP.

And with that money they are buying time to finish the successor.
Probably next year.
Considering what KORG is capable of the competition better not rest on their laurels.

Or Korg could toss us a treat this month, and do some kind of Kronos upgrade plus a new sample lib. They did this last year. Jan 2019.

Upgrade: not likely, free sample library: that would be a nice gesture.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
[q

Now I expect the universe to listen to our many demands, lazy or otherwise Wink
Chrutil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly Dan’s team at Korg USA has been hard at work on the new WaveState, so if there is a new workstation in the works, it’s not coming from the team that brought you Oasys/Kronos...
But yay, meanwhile we have MS-20 in spanking new colors, and a Kronos with new makeup... Rolling Eyes
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
[q

Now I expect the universe to listen to our many demands, lazy or otherwise Wink

I'm so inconsistent in any case - I was arguing for a new Korg workstation only the other day on another thread Smile

(it's called "grumpy old man" syndrome !! )
maphill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: My pet theory... Reply with quote

My pet theory is that the Nautilus will be the Kronos successor. It will have most of the Kronos capabilities and they are developing chunks of improved technology that will distinguish the Nautilus from the Kronos. It will have Wavestate-level wave sequencing, for example.

And Dan said that they recorded some new orchestral samples, some of which are sourced by the Wavestate. I'd be surprised if they did those recordings just for the Wavestate, so I'm betting on a lot of improved orchestral content on the Nautilus.

And there was the Opsix hint at NAMM... perhaps they are currently working on an improved FM engine that would end up in the Nautilus as well.

The biggest question in my mind is when the Nautilus will come out (and how many more chunks of improved tech we'll see in "smaller" keyboards between now and then). I'm currently thinking NAMM 2021.

AND, my hope is that it will have OAYSYS/Fantom-like slider lights and rotary encoders with lights.

If all this happens, I would be selling some synths in a hurry...
Mark
afr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is difficult to predict what the new NAUTILUS will be, but there are a couple of interview to DAN PHILIPS and MICHELE PACIULLI that can give an idea about the future direction that Korg will take

DAN Interview https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/korg-wavestate-synthesizer-announced

We've also created fundamental technologies used in many other Korg products, most recently including the Grandstage and VOX Continental.

PACIULLI Interview https://www.smstrumentimusicali.it/michele-paciulli-korg-m1/

Talking about the VOX

MP: “La promessa di una nuova tecnologia”, perché questo strumento cela una piattaforma inedita, che potrebbe portare la storia di Korg a vette interessanti.

Translation: the promise of a new technology ”, because this tool uses an unprecedented platform, which could lead the history of Korg to interesting peaks

Looks like VOX and GrandStage uses a new technology developed by the R&D Dept. in California

As far as I know VOX and Grandstage are not PC based, so I think that is a new multi engine sound chip newly developed
Andi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
So everybody's done with learning, knowing and using in a deep, meaningful and regular way:
- Jazz performance on the Kronos pianos and drawbar organ?
- MS20Ex, PolySixEx, AL-1, STR-1, MOD-7
- Dynamic MIDI
- AMS
- 14 effects processors with over a hundred effects alforithms
you're done with all those - right? And need extra things because you've exhausted all that can be done with them - right?

The user unfriendly data driven OS from 1995 makes the machine look more deep than it is. The sequencer is still just a tape for midi events and worse than the M3's. No wonder people have problems using it. I hope at least the RH3 keybed is now working properly.
I still use my Fantom G. The technology is old, but the UI is still much better.
Making a multilayered multisample is soooooo much easier on the FG. Kronos OS is a unwieldy mess. The filepath length is still 76 characters. Am I right?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
[q
- A

The user unfriendly data driven OS from 1995 makes the machine look more deep than it is. The sequencer is still just a tape for midi events and worse than the M3's. No wonder people have problems using it. I hope at least the RH3 keybed is now working properly.
I still use my Fantom G. The technology is old, but the UI is still much better.
Making a multilayered multisample is soooooo much easier on the FG. Kronos OS is a unwieldy mess. The filepath length is still 76 characters. Am I right?[/quote]

I think the SEQ is a love/hate thing.

my personal gripe is the tiny font on most of the tabs, etc. If I had good reading eye sight , I might not be as grumpy about tiny fonts.

Other than that, I love the SEQ and I am productive using it with 70 songs on my SoundCloud.

But I have spent many months 1/1 helping folks get there brains into the SEQ and basic nav so I understand the learning curve etc.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:

Making a multilayered multisample is soooooo much easier on the FG. Kronos OS is a unwieldy mess. The filepath length is still 76 characters. Am I right?

Thanks for the GearSlutz slag on the Kronos UI. I've noticed it's ALWAYS 1995. No, the engines are in fact deep and not a simple sample-playback system based on technology from the early 1980s.

The sequencer supports 16 tracks MIDI and 16 tracks audio, so no it's more than a tape for MIDI events.

The RH3 issues are ancient history. At least Korg acknowledged the issue and provided free repair. Unlike so many other manufacturers who NEVER acknowledge issues and only offer the most basic bug fix updates for a short time after release and then seem to forget the product even exists.

I believe the Fantom G maxes at four-velocity layers per program. In comparison, the Kronos allows up to 16 velocity layers, full stereo. I had the Fantom X back in the day and the load time for a few hundred MBs of samples was horrible. Regarding the complexity of creating multi-samples, the other day I used SampleRobot Pro 6.5 to sample some of my VSTi pianos. After setting up some basic parameters in SampleRobot, I let it sample in the background. As the process is done much faster than realtime, in far less than an hour I had an eight-velocity, every note sampled to full duration version of the VSTi. I then chose to export to the Kronos and a .KSC was created. After bringing the files into the Kronos I loaded them and created a quick program to reference those samples. Simple as can be. Sonically the Kronos versions are very close to the originals. I suppose some people still use the internal sampled editing for the creation of the multi-samples, though with the software utilities that can be used instead, it's rather pointless.

So in my Kronos at the moment I have the three very large SGX-2 pianos (German, Berlin, Japanese) as well as resampled versions of the following VSTi pianos:
Ivory Steinway
Ivory Yamaha C7
TrueKeys American Grand
The Maverick from Native Instruments
HammerSmith
Piano in Blue

Plus several of my libraries, plus the KAPro EXs19 Private Collection, plus of course, all the other sounds that come standard on the Kronos.

AND I still have enough RAM remaining (211 MB) to load, which thanks to disk streaming, the equivalent of many gigabytes of samples, in fact, more than any Roland sampler ever made. Disk streaming is how sampling should be done and it's sad that the likes of Roland, Yamaha and Nord haven't figured this out. BTW there are, by my count, in excess of 275 3rd-party sample and sound libraries available at the Korg Web Store plus others not found in the store.

There was an issue with loading certain files with paths longer than 50 characters, but that was fixed in an update a long time ago. I don't know the upper limits of the Kronos file path, I suspect it's 256. I easily exceed 76 characters on my system.

Having a pretty interface is nice but hardly essential. I doubt most people would choose a vastly inferior product just because they like the UI.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
theescapist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to the platinum limited edition Kronos from NAMM? It's even on Wikipedia now. Thought it'd be announced by now Confused
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theescapist wrote:
Whatever happened to the platinum limited edition Kronos from NAMM? It's even on Wikipedia now. Thought it'd be announced by now Confused

Korg doesn't necessarily read/respond to posts here.

My guess is that the Platinum is going to have limited supply. Thus Korg won't make a big deal promoting it. I don't recall if Korg promised any dates at NAMM.

If you are in the US, suggest you call Sweetwater to see what they know.
theescapist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
theescapist wrote:

Korg doesn't necessarily read/respond to posts here.

My guess is that the Platinum is going to have limited supply. Thus Korg won't make a big deal promoting it. I don't recall if Korg promised any dates at NAMM.

If you are in the US, suggest you call Sweetwater to see what they know.

Nah, it's more a curiosity than anything else. My next keyboard will replace my Roland; my red Kronos will stick around until Korg comes up with a compelling successor Wink
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've abandoned using a DAW for sequencing on the Kronos and now use the on-board sequencer to record tracks.

I find the interface extremely clunky (moving a MIDI event just one tick into the next measure is such a pain), but it's tried and true. At least using the sequencer isn't much of a learning curve if you've used anything since the Trinity. Input lag on the interface is surprising for such a powerful workstation (when I change songs, it's disconcerting that it takes a second or two to do it - other pages are not as slow, but still not as snappy as you'd expect). I would sell my left kidney for PRV in sequencer mode. That being said, I'm still very satisfied with the Kronos. I have yet to exhaust what we've been given.

It's a shame it took 20 years to get another black workstation...

Korg ... my kidneys are in awesome shape...
afr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the onboard SEQ, I can do everything I want and also the editing is pretty fast and easy

here a little example of a song 100% made with/on Kronos

Only the final mastering has been done on cubase+waves plugin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdB1HKW23oo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: