Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland at Namm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Roland at Namm Reply with quote

On facebook Roland peeps are hinting at big fantom news at Namm
I guess there will be a huge update announced
Probably also containing super natural sounds

The sad news about Roland, they fired Ed Diaz
So far he was the only Roland rep actively supporting the Fantom at the webs
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland peeps ? Are you quoting Fantom owners ?

For sure, owners are asking for all SN sounds. And other needed improvement.

I haven't seen Roland employees hinting at an update. "working on it ' isn't something I spend money on.

I would be more interested in Fantom when Roland makes a significant OS upgrade.

Then the user community has to give it a good test. I prefer to cut thru all the speculation and marketing.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I haven't seen Roland employees hinting at an update. "working on it ' isn't something I spend money on.

I would be more interested in Fantom when Roland makes a significant OS upgrade.

Then the user community has to give it a good test. I prefer to cut thru all the speculation and marketing.

When i asked about it on tye Roland Fantom facebook group..
They said there would be important news at Namm
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad about Ed - he was good value. Crying or Very sad

I might wait until the great new Fantom is finished - I agree "working on it" is never good enough.
Hoping the final complete version has some Tonewheel Organ/Rotary emulation too.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:

When i asked about it on tye Roland Fantom facebook group..
They said there would be important news at Namm

https://www.roland.com/us/news_events/

NAMM is here and the Roland press machine is rolling.

So far, its about Zen Core, V-drums, etc.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Sad about Ed - he was good value. Crying or Very sad

I might wait until the great new Fantom is finished - I agree "working on it" is never good enough.
Hoping the final complete version has some Tonewheel Organ/Rotary emulation too.

Pete Very Happy

I know many claim casual YT videos on gear is a culprit.

This will upset many. The trend is deeper. These co's act like tech co's in Silicon Valley.

Its not about skill. Skill is sometimes a #3 or #4 priority.

Its becoming more about appearance, hip/cool and/or energetic communication. Thats what sells. It can be superficial but superficial has always been king in the entertainment business.

Our favorite co' are in the entertainment business and marketing driven.

Back to my parallel with tech co's. 40 something dudes are now getting plastic surgery to present a youthful appearance to their employers and to stay competitive in their careers.

You can't make this stuff up.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s sad, but I think you’re right.
Today ‘old’ has become like a term of insult, and you better do anything to avoid looking old or else...

Regarding the Fantom, today another batch of PCM expansions has been released.
Nice, but I think most people are waiting for the SN acoustic section of the Integra to be ported over into the Zen core platform of the Fantom.
AND, there’s a whole lot of other functionality the Fantom needs.
If Roland cannot deliver at this moment they would do well to communicate their plans to the people who bought a Fantom or those contemplating a purchase if they want to turn the Fantom into a commercial success, because there are people who will part with the Fantom if Roland does not give clarity about whether or not Roland will implement certain user requests.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
That’s sad, but I think you’re right.
Today ‘old’ has become like a term of insult, and you better do anything to avoid looking old or else...

Regarding the Fantom, today’s another batch of PCM expansions have been released.
Nice, but I think most people are waiting for the SN acoustic section of the Integra to be ported over into the Zen core platform of the Fantom.
AND, there’s a whole lot of other functionality the Fantom needs.
If Roland cannot deliver at this moment they would do well to communicate their plans to the people who bought a Fantom or those contemplating a purchase if they want to turn the Fantom into a commercial success, because there are people who will part with the Fantom if Roland does not give clarity about whether or not Roland will implement certain user requests.

I posted similar on Fantom/Facebook.I am assuming Roland can't make 1 large/thorough update by Jan 31.

Thus, it might be time for Roland to show their 2020 road map for improving/upgrading Fantom. For a $4000 keyboard, I don't believe 'we are working on it ' is adequate. Lets see the 2020 plan.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a Roland news item about the upcoming update for the Fantom.
It does not give the clarity I hoped for, but a picture at Engadget seems to suggest the Integra SN acoustic soundset also will be part of the ZEN core platform?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:

Regarding the Fantom, today another batch of PCM expansions has been released.

the PCM you refer to might be the same as this [ I posted in Fantom Facebook]:

I think this "expansions ' are very similar to all the SRX boards. With my FA-07, I also have free access to the Axial EXP's. It gets confusing as Roland 're-titles ' the SRX's for each keyboard series.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
It does not give the clarity I hoped for, but a picture at Engadget seems to suggest the Integra SN acoustic soundset also will be part of the ZEN core platform?

Sounds like marketing crap...
No real news there...
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

Clickbait, actually. This has been Roland's message all along. The roadmap so to speak.

Jan1 wrote:

I don't sense a bunch of actual Fantom owners are on the cusp of selling their boards because a few people didn't get what they wanted today. 12 more expansions were released last night and new beta OS was posted a few hours ago. In that beta are SN instruments, vocoder and other improvements.

Right now Roland is more concerned about selling 1000s of these things to distributors all over the world. They are telling them something so it's only a matter of time before that message filters down to us.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds plausible, thanks.

it seems the best info is word of mouth, sometimes.

Usually today and tonight is when funded co's do their bigger announcements with a party and entertainment.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Clickbait, actually. This has been Roland's message all along. The roadmap so to speak.

Jan1 wrote:

I don't sense a bunch of actual Fantom owners are on the cusp of selling their boards because a few people didn't get what they wanted today. 12 more expansions were released last night and new beta OS was posted a few hours ago. In that beta are SN instruments, vocoder and other improvements.

Right now Roland is more concerned about selling 1000s of these things to distributors all over the world. They are telling them something so it's only a matter of time before that message filters down to us.

The idea behind the zen core engine seems quite noble..
If they can add more oscilators (like mimicking other synths) and things to the mix it might become a very strong engine..

So if they ever add the sna engine, my best bet is it will not be as part of thezen-core, but as a sepperate engine, just like the v-piano..

The Fantom still ticks many of my wishes... lets just see where Roland drives this.. strangely Roland is know for their updates and the longlevity of their hardware... sadly jot for their everlasting support.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:

Didn't catch on the how and what but this certainly fancy's how I want to use my sounds without recreating them (painfully)from workstation to portable keyboard. Scratching my chin here about direction cause if they pull this off.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: