Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Kronos Midi drums louder?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Making Kronos Midi drums louder? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been getting accustomed with my Kronos sequencer making a bunch of tracks. I like using a combination of the Audio and Midi tracks. I noticed that the midi drums only get but so loud. If there a way to make them louder than the 127? In my mix the drums sound so soft and too far in the background. Any tips appreciated.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add FX
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Greg said, FX. My go to solution for this is to select the 4 band EQ and boost everything 6db (or more) to achieve what you need.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I tried doing that. These drums are the ones that have the FX greyed out where the factory preset them or something.

I'll keep trying. Just trying to learn from the guru's. Thank you.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try rerouting the drums to a separate FX.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you find your way to the FX, try adding compression - that will do the trick, without altering the character of the drums' sound in the way that adding EQ to some of the frequencies will inevitably do.

You could also consider reducing the volume of your other tracks a bit, instead of just trying to make one thing super-loud.
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You could also consider reducing the volume of your other tracks a bit, instead of just trying to make one thing super-loud.

That’s the best plan pretty much always!

Sculpting the whole of the mix and using some discreet compression and limiting.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
O

Thats a good point when recording.

On SoundCloud, I notice that mixes and recorded drums are very loud. for hip-hop and rap material.

I usually record my songs on SC just below the SEQ's clip warning to get in the ballpark of most SC recordings.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Once you find your way to the FX, try adding compression - that will do the trick, without altering the character of the drums' sound in the way that adding EQ to some of the frequencies will inevitably do.

I figured someone would say I was making the drums to loud but really it's not. The drums just get lost in the mix and loose their character.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
pete.m wrote:

I figured someone would say I was making the drums to loud but really it's not. The drums just get lost in the mix and loose their character.

for other instruments, what kind of tracks ? Audio ? Midi
And your type of material is important.

I have 70 songs on Soundcloud. Mostly 16 midi tracks. My drums are punchy and fairly loud. I have my own approach but its not complex.

If we knew more detail we should be able to get your drums sounding great.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you load the drum kit into the sequencer, are you just selecting the kit directly from the track?

You probably want to do “Copy from Program “ from the sequencer drop down menu. Select the kit and choose to include IFX All. That will bring the kit in with its pre-programmed insert FX all mapped up for you like they are in the program. The FX chain Korg set up for the kit often makes them a lot more punchy.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 add IFX. Stereo Compressor good for adding some punch and increase/adjust level. Can shape tone (high/low) simply with LEQ/HEQ gain.

Last edited by bpoodoo on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
pete.m wrote:

I have to come back to you on this one, and to say that I don't agree with you. If your drums are getting lost in the mix, it is unquestionably because the levels of your other tracks are too high - there is no other possible explanation.
To give you an extreme example, try leaving the drums at 127 and reduce all the other tracks to a very low level, say 20. Then you'll hear virtually all drums. Now try building your mix up again gradually and - providing the song itself is well-enough written to hold together - you will find the correct balance for it.
Whenever you are mixing a song, it is always a good idea to take it right back to the bones when you begin to construct your mix. From there, it's your choice about what you are trying to foreground - the rhythms or the instrumentation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: