Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone with Kronos getting Wavestate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I love the update of the concept, but hate the form factor (3 octave, no aftertouch) and I have no space for more keyboards. A paid upgrade for HD-1 or a VST version would give me instant GAS!

totally agree. We can dream that Korg might offer either version but either would compete with the 37 key product.

A Kronos upgrade and/or a VST would be a no brainer. I also think that we will see a push from the software side this year.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
It's getting hotter for consumers.

Nord Wave 2 - 4-part performance synthesizer combining Virtual Analog synthesis, Samples, FM and Wavetable.

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-wave-2

I haven't heard it ,yet.

On paper and per spec, I prefer Nords thorough approach. I know this is $2600.

In my perfect world , I prefer Korg take the premium performance synth approach. It would be more exciting and long term for what I do.

Clavier DNA: simple-yet-powerful instruments, classic names and red livery.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely going to buy the wavestate whenever it is available in my country (the webshops over here in holland mention expected delivery times of more then 26 weeks for the wavestate, so it probably will take a lot of time before it's available for us).

But as soon as i can buy one i will and will create demos for my channel with it, i have high expectations of this wavesequencing synths. The HD1 was already quite good, but the features on this goes much further, also the different timing lanes can give very interesting results.

Let's hope that it will be available soon Smile
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with Kronos getting Wavestate? Reply with quote

MichaelJK wrote:
I have a Kronos X-88. It is my main studio controller. I have been watching videos for the new Korg Wavestate that was just announced at NAMM. I know it shares some features with the Kronos (wavetable sequences), but it looks much more "hands on" (more controls, knobs, buttons, etc.). I am wondering if it would be redundant. Thoughts?

No audio input, no user samples, 3 octaves only, small tiny display, no true wavemorphing, no filter morphing, most of the possibilities already available in Kronos, acid and cold kind of tones...

Conclusion : I'm absolutely not interested in this Wavestate.

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
If they did a module version and added MPE I would be interested, it looks neat to me.

Check Arturia Pigment 2, they’ve added support for MPE control, and has non-destructive randomness. it might be just what you are after.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/pigments/overview#en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXzslIymFiw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the info, it's a great synth.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wavestate is cool, but I don't have room for more synths.

It's mainly got me thinking about re-exploring wave sequencing in the Kronos. I know the Kronos lacks the multiple lanes concept of the Wavestate, but the Kronos also has a few tricks up its sleeve which might be exploitable:

- The Kronos has RPPR, which can have sequences of different lengths.
- I seem to remember that sample number is an AMS destination, which means that the currently playing sample can be modulated in realtime
- The Kronos has KARMA wave sequencing, and Karma generally, that could potentially be used to the same effect as lanes on the Wavestate.

Using RPPRs for controller data is something I keep meaning to play around with, but haven't really explored thoroughly. The Wavestate has got me excited about the prospect once again!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

It's mainly got me thinking about re-exploring wave sequencing in the Kronos. I know the Kronos lacks the multiple lanes concept of the Wavestate, but the Kronos also has a few tricks up its sleeve which might be exploitable:

- I seem to remember that sample number is an AMS destination, which means that the currently playing sample can be modulated in realtime
- The Kronos has KARMA wave sequencing, and Karma generally, that could potentially be used to the same effect as lanes on the Wavestate.

Using RPPRs for controller data is something I keep meaning to play around with, but haven't really explored thoroughly. The Wavestate has got me excited about the prospect once again!

Agreed, me too.

The Kronos also has full multi-sampling (and re-sampling), and I’m pretty sure those user samples can be wave-sequence samples too.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:

Agreed, me too.

The Kronos also has full multi-sampling (and re-sampling), and I’m pretty sure those user samples can be wave-sequence samples too.

I agree too. The only point I see in that procedure is the fact that a Wavesequence is driven by a true timeline. When we use the Kronos wavesequences, the Wavestate or whatever wavesequence based synth or VST, the durations of wavesequences are identical, whatever keys we press.
But, when we sample a wavesequence, the higher note we play the shorter duration will be.

So the only way to turn around and get an identical wevesequence duration is to multi-sample the wavesequence note by note (12 by octave). It can be boring but not impossible !
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, assembling a quality multi-sample takes a lot of work. I imagine that's why they decided to just load the Wavestate up with a huge library of samples, a variety of filter models, and FX, rather than focus on making it a sampler.

If you're just making one for you though, you probably don't need 88 samples. Just enough to cover the range you want to use it in. You also may be able to get by with not sampling every single note - depending on the material and what kind of wave sequence you're going for.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone with Kronos getting Wavestate? Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
No audio input, no user samples, 3 octaves only, small tiny display, no true wavemorphing, no filter morphing, most of the possibilities already available in Kronos, acid and cold kind of tones...
Conclusion : I'm absolutely not interested in this Wavestate.

+1
Not for me with these specs and this sound character either.

I'll leave Korg gear behind altogether in 2020. They have become a company, which no longer seems up to the task of bringing their best workhorse, the Kronos, to 2020 level, a whole decade after release. The year long Prologue tuning desaster, showing utter current management incompetence in quality control, communication and technical knowhow, had already alienated me a lot. Now they simply stop to be my main keyboard company of choice. My next workstation, from whatever company, or turning to a mainly notebook based software setup, will define what extra gear I want and need in the next time, and what not. A new Kronos would have had the chance to define that. Chance missed. Now it's time for alternative solutions.

From my view, their by far best and most important product, defining most of their reputation as company(!), would definitely have deserved, and urgently needed(!), a follow up, with much more capable nowadays hardware, better UI and controller field, angled screen, upgraded factory content, updated and more engines, finally(!) well done 64bit computer integration, better amp modelling effects and overdrive etc., just to name a few heavily overdue main points. This follow up was overdue anyways, but their inability to finally deliver that now at Namm 2020 has been a really big strategical mistake IMHO, and a lot of customer interest will shift away from them in other directions.

Against this background, I will generally turn to other companies and preferably look at their offers and soundscapes in 2020, before even considering Korg gear any more: time for me to move on.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with Kronos getting Wavestate? Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

From my view, their by far best and most important product, defining most of their reputation as company(!), would definitely have deserved, and urgently needed(!), a follow up, with much more capable nowadays hardware, better UI and controller field, angled screen, upgraded factory content, updated and more engines, finally(!) well done 64bit computer integration, better amp modelling effects and overdrive etc., just to name a few heavily overdue main points. This follow up was overdue anyways, but their inability to finally deliver that now at Namm 2020 has been a really big strategical mistake IMHO, and a lot of customer interest will shift away from them in other directions.

Against this background, I will generally turn to other companies and preferably look at their offers and soundscapes in 2020, before even considering Korg gear any more: time for me to move on.

You are right that the Kronos can be improved in many ways and that 9 years is quite a long time, but I am not shutting the door on KORG just yet.
I’m sure they know that the Kronos is way past its economic prime and I’m convinced they are working on a successor.
But the high expectations and complexity of today’s workstations require a substantial amount of R&D, so it takes time.

On top of that the Kronos has a big ace up its sleeve which I am sure will find its way into the next generation: sample streaming.
Something KORG and third party library developers should think about is the migration of their products to a new platform. Because I am not willing to pay a lot of money for libraries which are tied to one product only, I’d rather spend it on sample libraries for a computer (Kontakt, proprietary sample players).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: