Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we assume that Korg abounded KARMA technology, there won’t be Kronos 3.
The successor more likely will be a departure from Kronos format ( incompatible with future flagship workstations ). of course this is only my opinion. Myself I am quiting workstation's market for good, a multi-rig synthesizer set-up is now my prefered way forward. And I will keep my Kronos 88 till his last breath it's my main MIDI controller after all. and who’s gonna be a successor I don’t bother now, however it will be MIDI 2.0 for sure.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a look at https://www.korg.com/us/ is a joy for the eyes.
But no image of the Opsix. Why ?
Plenty of new materials though
Very Happy
As Poseidon, I am not sure to buy a future workstation ´cause tgere is such a diversity of splendid VSTi

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
If we assume that Korg abounded KARMA technology, there won’t be Kronos 3.
The successor more likely will be a departure from Kronos format ( incompatible with future flagship workstations ). of course this is only my opinion. Myself I am quiting workstation's market for good, a multi-rig synthesizer set-up is now my prefered way forward. And I will keep my Kronos 88 till his last breath it's my main MIDI controller after all. and who’s gonna be a successor I don’t bother now, however it will be MIDI 2.0 for sure.

I agree. Not having native Karma in some future w/s breaks the chain.
Same with a file format chain. Midi 2, all kinds of deal breakers.

There is a fair chance that Kronos is a 1 of a kind. Its something we have no control over. My setup is flexible today, as much as I dislike substantial change in work flow and production.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now KORG's Nautilus is but an empty shiny shell on display at the prototype wall as KORG dubs it, and I think it is still a long way away from us (at least a year if not more).

Which is fine by me since I decided to get the Fantom 8 in spite of my initial reservations.
I was able to get it for a little less than 3000 Euros with a personal discount, and because the upcoming update shows the beginning of SN Acoustic sounds being ported over into the Fantom I feel the Fantom is worth it, especially since Roland really seems to be committed to supporting the Fantom and the ZEN core platform.

An important weak point were the 'acoustic' sounds in the Fantom as opposed to the synth side which has a lot of good things to offer, both in terms of onboard patches (some of which sound fantastic and have that typical Roland brash quality), and in terms of the programming interface, very intuitive and direct.
So the arrival of the SN acoustic changes a lot for me.

I tried aftertouch but it does not work properly as reported by other users: you have to exert an inordinate amount of pressure to get aftertouch, and then it shoots from '0' straight up to '100%'.
I don't know if that is a software or hardware issue, I think it may be the latter. I know that changing settings in the menu does not solve it.
So aftertouch is a no-go for me since I fear damaging the keybed (which really feels great btw).

Other downsides are the sequencer, which lacks linear tracks and is of very limited use to me in its current state especially since it STILL only has 3/4 and 4/4 (but I read somewhere that Roland has plans for upgrading the sequencer ), and there is no proper onboard sampler or audio tracks.

But the upcoming 1.5 update adds a lot of other good things to the Fantom such as SN sounds and a detailed vocoder plus a whole lot more such as being able to load individual tones from the expansions, something which is not possible on for instance the Integra which only loads entire packs.

So I figured that even as a 'mere' performance synth with lots of extras it is worth the money.
It has a unique quality of sound which adds a very distinct different color to the palette.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wait for a possible Kronos successor by Korg has ended right now as well. As has my ten year bond to Korg as kind of trusted main keyboard provider (Kronos, lots of Kronos addon packs, Microkorg XL, Kingkorg, Prologue, just like the SDD3000 and other minor stuff).

They obviously don't want my money for major gear any more, and I'm not too interested in the direction they seem to move recently. They still do many nice things (Wavestate, Arp 2600), but nothing like providing some well computer integrated center main piece for live and homestudio use, on 2020 level. Got it.

It's been ten great Kronos years for me (of course still using it). And this fantastic forum, which I will still visit casually, because it's simply the best, is one of a kind! Thanks to Korg for these years! 2020 will be my year for plenty of fresh alternatives beyond Korg - beginning with the money I saved for a possible Kronos successor. It's all fine...
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved my hopes to the breakfast cereal forums, for possible new korg flagship cereal release.
Probably rice and corn blend of grains, with a touch of wheat and barley.

i should probably switch to Mac and Mainstage since combi work is all i do with kronos anyway.
Not sure how well Karma software would do with Virtual synths from logic and spectrasonics, or how good of a wave station engine i can get as a plugin for mainstage.

hmm.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why but I'm not nearly as bothered as some by the lack of a new workstation for 2020. Maybe it's because I've had my Kronos for only about 2 years now and had been using DAWs and computer-based tools for many years prior.

I feel like I have a great and unique creative tool with the Kronos. For me, not really sure it needs much more DAW integration than a couple of analog outs. My experience with the deep DAW integration is that it's often oversold and under-delivered anyway.

Still very happy with my Kronos. Since they're planning to keep it in the lineup for a while, would love to see some kind of firmware update with whatever requests they can pick up from these forums and implement fairly easily...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: