Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg to amplifier via cat6 (network)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristinaChristina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Korg to amplifier via cat6 (network)? Reply with quote

I’m afraid I’m quite a newbie at keyboards and the technical parts and now have a Korg SV-1 that I would like to connect to an amplifier in another room (which is in its turn connected to my ceiling loudspeakers). I’m contemplating different ways for doing this - and one thought is if I can use my Ethernet (ie I have cat6 cable in the walls - used by router, TV, etc)? Would that be possible (despite there being other traffic in the network and if yes, what additional equipment do I need?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to send audio signals over Enternet cable using relatively inexpensive adaptors, but the Cat5 or Cat6 cable used for the link needs to be dedicated to carrying that audio signal, and not carry any data traffic.

There is a system called CobraNet, which can be used to stream audio over Ethernet, but it is not tolerant to large volumes of other IP traffic on the network, and CobraNet signals cannot be routed through network switches, though it will pass through hubs. There will be some audio delays, also. It is relatively more expensive, too.

An alternative might be to use a wireless transmitter / receiver combination e.g. of the type used for wireless headphones, using frequencies around the 860-900MHz band. These signals will pass through most walls, provided they are not solid metal. There are also low power FM wireless transmitters that are legal in most countries now. These were intended for use in vehicles, to send audio signals from an MP3 player to the vehicle audio system via the vehicle's FM radio. These signals will also pass through walls and could be received using a standard FM radio receiver with its output connected to an amplifier.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of a suitable FM transmitter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223812431565

carmel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Why not just use audio cables? Reply with quote

Classical tech for the Vintage Keyboard...

Bluetooth will likely introduce an audio lag which makes live playing impossible.

The SV-1 is well equipped with outputs. Just connect the 6.3mm jacks to your amp and take care for output volume, especially if you are using the SV-1 amp simulations.

Try to live with the cables to the next room: Take them as a compromise while using your ceiling speakers. If you have a some budget left and like a more immersive playing you should consider a pair of powered nearfield monitors.
ChristinaChristina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for great input!

Unfortunately cables from the piano to the amplifier is a no-go. There would literally be no other way than a long cable stretching right across the whole floor (walls/ceiling not possible due to windows, etc).
I originally bought a Joyo JW-01 wireless transmitter/receiver (I have no idea whether it is Bluetooth or FM or something else), but got a bit stuck and have for a year now only used my piano with headphones which is a bit of a pity...

Are there wireless transmitters which don’t introduce a lag?
The cat6-network is unfortunately shared with other stuff in the network so there would not be a dedicated cable just for the Korg.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FM (non-Bluetooth) transmitters do not introduce lag. They use the audio output from the keyboard to directly modulate the transmit signal. There is no digitisation involved, so no delay, and, if the transmitter operates in the FM broadcast frequency band, the receiver can be a standard FM radio receiver. The audio input to the transmitter needs to be carefully regulated/set to avoid the distortion caused by overloading. Some of the 860-900MHz transmitters have a better dynamic range than the 88-108MHz types. Search on eBay for "wireless in ear monitor". The receivers for these systems can be connected to your stereo speaker system input, rather than connecting the in-ear monitor earpieces.

As for direct cables, they can be run over skirting boards and architraves around doors, under carpets/rugs without too much visual impact.

ChristinaChristina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased this which did the trick:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monitor-Audio-WT-1-WR-1-Wireless-Audio-Subwoofer-Transmitter-Receiver-Kit-/113651358067

Maybe not a superb sound quality, but sufficient for my needs.

I’m connecting it to the same amplifier (Parasound A23) as my Sonos Connect and as the amp only has one line in and the Sonos still hasn’t updated their software to allow a zero-latency when using the Connect line in, just passing thru (ie not connecting to any additional Sonos hardware) I will add a small mixer in between the wireless receiver and the amp. I’ve ordered this which I hope will work: https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-Stereo-Mini-Mixer/dp/B00102ZN40
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. The mixer should be OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: