Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using M-50 as midi controller for the Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirDabo83

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: using M-50 as midi controller for the Kronos Reply with quote

Hi there!

I'm just starting to dip my toe into using external controllers to send midi to the Kronos's sound engine. I first tried integrating an Oxygen49, and that worked well. I was able to change the midi channel it was sending to, and could assign an instrument in my combi to that channel.

But then I tried connecting my Korg M-50, at first I was getting midi from the 50 into the Kronos, but couldn't figure out how to change the midi channel it was sending to. Any ideas on how to do this, or good resources for figuring this out? I've been working through the different user manuals to no avail so far.

Thanks in advance!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the M50, the transmitted MIDI behaviour depends on the mode.

In Program mode, MIDI messages are transmitted by the M50 on the Global MIDI channel, which is set in the M50 Global page 1 MIDI Basic page.

In Combi mode, data will be transmitted both on the global MIDI channel and on the MIDI channels of timbres whose Status is set to EXT or EX2 on the Combi edit pages 3–1 and 3-2.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
On the M50, the transmitted MIDI behaviour depends on the mode.

In Program mode, MIDI messages are transmitted by the M50 on the Global MIDI channel, which is set in the M50 Global page 1 MIDI Basic page.

In Combi mode, data will be transmitted both on the global MIDI channel and on the MIDI channels of timbres whose Status is set to EXT or EX2 on the Combi edit pages 3–1 and 3-2.

To clarify- using Ext or Ext 2 is for the transmission side of the Kronos. Incoming MIDI is dictated by the transmission MIDI channel of the external controller. Setting the timbre status of a combi to Ext or Ext2 has no affect when receiving MIDI on the Kronos. In my custom Combis I use timbre 16 (set to ext 2) to send patch changes to my Hammond SK-1. I can then use the Hammond as part of a layer (or not). If I want the Hammond to act as an external controller, I set timbre 15 to receive on the Hammond's transmit channel. Some MIDI filtering is necessary on the transmit side. If the ribbon controller is not filtered it triggers a Hammond reverb crash! Also, patch changes on the external controller need to be disabled. And all this comes into play when running MIDI ins and outs on both instruments at the same time (full duplex?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: