Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg ARP2600
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetwater in the U.S. did have some ARP2600 units for sale, but they are now sold out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARP2600--arp-2600-semi-modular-analog-synthesizer-system

From the webpage above:

Quote:
SOLD OUT
Due to the overwhelming number of pre-orders for the new limited edition ARP 2600 FS, every single unit that Sweetwater is due to receive has already been sold. If you are interested in being added to a waiting list in case of pre-order cancellations, please contact your Sweetwater Sales Engineer.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m willing to bet that KORG will do another run considering the incredible demand, it’s really unheard of. Some stores reached the limit of what they were able to deliver in just a few hours.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg certainly could revisit this and do a second run, assuming there are no supply issues. When Moog stopped the Minimoog D reissue it was because they ran out of certain parts.

I suspect a fair number of people who were able to nab a 2600 are speculators hoping to make money on a flip. And I don't think most resellers require money down to hold and even if they required a small down payment it would obviously be fully refundable. Point being, there could be a number of people who are in the queue, but when the time comes they might either not have the money or changed their mind. So if people are serious, they should get on a waitlist (or two).

Behringer is doing some fun things, but Korg owns the ARP name and collaborated with Friend for this project. The Korg/ARP 2600 is more like a re-issue than a clone. That's something Behringer can't do. They can only copy/clone. I paid $3000 (later price was $3500) for my limited edition Minimoog D reissue. Behringer's D is cute and sounds really good but you simply can't compare the playing experience. The $3800 price for the Korg/ARP 2600 is entirely reasonable in my book.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Behringer is doing some fun things, but Korg owns the ARP name and collaborated with Friend for this project. The Korg/ARP 2600 is more like a re-issue than a clone. That's something Behringer can't do. They can only copy/clone. I paid $3000 (later price was $3500) for my limited edition Minimoog D reissue. Behringer's D is cute and sounds really good but you simply can't compare the playing experience. The $3800 price for the Korg/ARP 2600 is entirely reasonable in my book.

Busch.

Unless I'd be wrong, synths are made to play music ! Don't you think ?
Yet, in a final mix, I'm not sure there would be many people who would be able to distinguish if a Minimoog sound comes from an old real Minimoog, a new generation Minimoog, a sampled Minimoog or even a Beghringer Model D or a VST.
Just compare an old ARP Odyssey, a Korg Odyssey and the Behringer Odyssey : the output signal levels may be different but the tone results are exactly the same.
In the early 90's, when I was a musical gear seller, Behringer produced very low cost and quite medium or low quality gear. But these times are over, for years.
Nowadays, we should stop considering Behringer produces as only "fun" gear as you do.
If they want to survive, the great old brands as Korg, Roland, Yamaha Music should consider Behringer as a real and serious competitor, be on an amateur or professionnal customers target. That's my opinion.
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Behringer on its way - Part 1 Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7WFWQ-Exc

From teaser I think this will be modules able to build your own 2600. That seems much smarter doing mono synths anyway - to go euro rack.

Why buy ready made synths and have to buy so many?

With poly synths another story.

Just a hunch.....
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Behringer on its way - Part 1 Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
RKfan wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7WFWQ-Exc

From teaser I think this will be modules able to build your own 2600. That seems much smarter doing mono synths anyway - to go euro rack.

Why buy ready made synths and have to buy so many?

With poly synths another story.

Just a hunch.....

Yes, it's here : https://amsynths.co.uk/
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw part two of Behringer teaser - it's here as a full synth.

So my hunch was completely off....but to go for a mono synth again I would wait for modules to maybe build moog, prophet or arp type sound.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Yet, in a final mix, I'm not sure there would be many people who would be able to distinguish if a Minimoog sound comes from an old real Minimoog, a new generation Minimoog, a sampled Minimoog or even a Beghringer Model D or a VST.
Just compare an old ARP Odyssey, a Korg Odyssey and the Behringer Odyssey : the output signal levels may be different but the tone results are exactly the same.
In the early 90's, when I was a musical gear seller, Behringer produced very low cost and quite medium or low quality gear. But these times are over, for years.
Nowadays, we should stop considering Behringer produces as only "fun" gear as you do.
If they want to survive, the great old brands as Korg, Roland, Yamaha Music should consider Behringer as a real and serious competitor, be on an amateur or professionnal customers target. That's my opinion.

I belong to the Behringer Synth Users on FB. Most of the posts are requests of Uli/Behringer to please, please remake this or that synth. It's more about collecting and posting photos of their setups. It's like when my kids collected Pokeman cards. "Look what I got!" The music side of things seems to be a distant second. So yeah, Behringer is putting out some fun synths and its fans are having fun collecting and showing them off their studios to others. Some even are making music with them. One of the problems with these mono analogs is that it takes work to get anything but the most cliched sound out of them. If they use patch points it's worse. No preset recall.

BTW, I own a DeepMind 12.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkhYuS6vxGU&fbclid=IwAR1Dxc4sSwUIMfFtOeNFycRhK0C3ifTqoewwNMK-Yo0EpWn5rKZlQm4BAt8
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:

It's more about collecting and posting photos of their setups. It's like when my kids collected Pokeman cards. "Look what I got!"
Busch.

This is just in from post NAMM ... Uli promises by 2021 to produce a full 'CLONE' collection of Pokemon cards that will will contain LED lights Smile Smile Smile
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67

Last edited by Hooked On Sonics on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm; edited 7 times in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkhYuS6vxGU&fbclid=IwAR1Dxc4sSwUIMfFtOeNFycRhK0C3ifTqoewwNMK-Yo0EpWn5rKZlQm4BAt8

So... the production model of the Behringer ARP 2600 will be at Superbooth this April?

Boy, Behringer are really kicking some ass over the last number of years.

Sharp.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hooked On Sonics"]
burningbusch wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

It's more about collecting and posting photos of their setups. It's like when my kids collected Pokeman cards. "Look what I got!"
Busch.

This is just in from post NAMM ... Uli promises by 2021 to produce a full 'CLONE' collection of Pokemon cards that will will contain LED lights Smile Smile Smile

I didn't write what you've quoted above !
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:25 am; edited 4 times in total
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If guitar manufacturers do everything from what pros would use to affordable stuff for various levels of players - why shouldn't synth companies.

You start out with a guitar you can afford and move up the ladder as you grow more mature and notice the differences when holding a $2000-$3000 guitar.

The genre of EDM has grown an immense interest in music making for many people. And with these very affordable Behringers, Boutiques, and Korg too - they can enjoy that.

So many things were out of reach for most of us with no professional ambition, just love for music.

In the 80's Fostex came with a very affordable cassette porta studio - that made me move from sound-on-sound on a reel to reel tape machine. Endless fun.

Then sacrificed one track on that for sync of sequencers and external mixer and it grew even more.

But then hit the ceiling for what I could afford. I wanted a 16-track fostex reel-to-reel and since I could no longer reduce that gap to full professional level - interest dropped.

So I really envie young people today what is available for reasonable money. I wish I had that when I was their age.

Now as retired doing music full time just for the love of it - and money not an object - still love the DeepMind and Neutron.

Poly-D and 2600 from Behringer sound terrific too to my ears. The developer in the teaser for 2600 also gave good impressions in how he work, and on second generation prototypes etc. Explained about surface mount also being more stable oscillators and things like this. Felt really thorough in how he worked, having done modules before forever and all.

I can't say I am interested in the full range they released the last year - mono synths just go that far for me and Neutron gave ideas what to try in cross modulation for DeepMind. So Neutron expanded thinking about modulation - fun to just have a cable on the right, and what happends if I put on left side here, and here, and here etc.

Forward I will use Neutron more for effects than playing as such.

I saw some interesting things on 2600 panel - if that might bring some new ideas what you can do.
- some things from each oscillator to ADSR whatever that can be
- some things from osc 1->2, and from 2->3 etc. - sync mod or what

With the vast amount of modulation you can do with Wavestate it could be fun with a 2600 to explore too and expand thinking a bit.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

I belong to the Behringer Synth Users on FB. Most of the posts are requests of Uli/Behringer to please, please remake this or that synth. It's more about collecting and posting photos of their setups. It's like when my kids collected Pokeman cards. "Look what I got!" The music side of things seems to be a distant second. So yeah, Behringer is putting out some fun synths and its fans are having fun collecting and showing them off their studios to others. Some even are making music with them. One of the problems with these mono analogs is that it takes work to get anything but the most cliched sound out of them. If they use patch points it's worse. No preset recall.

BTW, I own a DeepMind 12.

Busch.

I have no statistics about the way people in Behringer forums use the classical re-issues. But for all the music friends I have using Behringer gear, I can't confirm the overall picture: none of them is using that gear like collected Pokemon cards. They are rather happy to afford analog gear at very affordable prices.

Wouldn't collectors rather collect something with the original name and outlook well visible, like the Korg Arp 2600, than anything with Behringer written on it - and a more or less changed design, like the coming Behringer 2600? I would prefer the latter for price and form factor, as long as the sound character is convincing for my use, but I guess collectors hardly would.

I own and use a Behringer Model D sounding really great, besides my Moogs. The haptic experience is not the same, but the difference is not worth ~3000 bucks to me. I owuld only spend that amount of money for advanced analog functionality, like in my Moog Voyager (with preset memory, full ADSR and other enhanced functions).

Korg not bothering about the Kronos heritage any more in any meaningful way, since several years now, and about a decade after initial release, completely alienates me from this this company - on top of the year long Prologue tuning desaster. Thankfully, there's an incredible amount of both great hard- and software out there to compensate for that.

I am a happy owner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: