Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg 03R/W

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Korg 03R/W Reply with quote

Just bought a Korg 03R/W and the guy was advertising it in excellent condition...he didn't tell me he hadn't test it since he had no MIDI controller. The thing is...let say I press on "Combi" and then on Int/card then, nothing happen and playing notes on the MIDI controller produce no sound.. Same thing if I first press on " Prog ". I then press on Int/card...nothing happen and no sound. The only playing mode that works is the "Global Multi" works but... when you press on 1+ . 1- , 10 + or 10 -, I see the sound numbers changing in the display but the sound produce always stay the same. Any ideas?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the MIDI controller sending note messages on the correct MIDI channel?

Check the MIDI channel setting in Global page 2A, and ensure it corresponds with the controller/keyboard MIDI channel.

gillang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! What do you means exactly by page 2a? Will check that when I will be back home but...if it is the problem, how do you explain that I get sounds ( albeit always the same single one) while in " Global Multi " mode?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Multi mode, each Program in the 16 "Tracks" is assigned a MIDI channel. The assigned MIDI channel corresponds to the Track number, and cannot be changed. The fact that there is some sound in Multi mode, suggests that the keyboard is outputting MIDI messages on one of those 16 channels.

The Global/Multi switch toggles between Global mode and Multi mode. When the Global/Multi LED is flashing, the 03R/W is in Global mode. When the LED is constantly lit, the 03R/W is in Multi mode. In Global mode, pressing the Page +- keys moves from one display page to another. The Page and subpage appear at top left of the LCD screen, so it should show something like "02A MIDI GLOBAL". On this page, try setting the MIDI channel to CH=1, and NoteR to "ALL". Then configure the keyboard to transmit MIDI on channel 1.

gillang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...thanks a lot...that will be a challenge to do all this for a newbie but...will try for sure. Could there be any chance that one (or both) the batteries being dead would cause this?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Global page "02B MIDI FILTER0", it is also worth setting PRG: to PRG (i.e. on the LCD screen it should look like PRG:PRG). When set this way, the MIDI channel set in Global page 02A, becomes the global channel and controls the entire 03R/W.

Re the battery state, does the 03R/W display any low battery messages? The internal battery is needed to retain saved settings.

If the internal battery appears to be OK, it is possible to do a factory reset from Global page "05C PRESET DATA LOAD". This operation needs to be done for the demos to sound as Korg intended them to sound.

Good luck.

gillang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no low battery warning. I thought only one of them was able to send a low battery warning. The other one, they suggest to change it every year...at least?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two possible low battery messages: "Battery Low (Internal)" and "Card Battery Low".

I'm only aware of one internal battery.

gillang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did what you told me to do and...BINGO! It works now but...my keyboard is a 76 keys and now, when connected to the Korg 03R/W, only the first ( starting from the right) 50 keys do work. I was expecting that I could wind-up with having only 61 keys but to be down to 50 doesn't make sense to me. There's even one sound ( in fact more than one) that the first 42 keys ( starting from the right ) plays kind of a banjo/new age sound and then, the next 8 keys play another sound (beautiful clean strings) and the next 26 keys don't produce any sound. This patch is "Whammy Pad" number A02. Any ideas?

Last edited by gillang on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. The thing about Combis is that the various Programs in the Combi can be zoned and layered in different ways, using note number and/or key velocity, and even by MIDI channel, so it is possible to play different notes from two or more Programs in the Combi at the same time using one keybaord, or even using two keyboards on different MIDI channels, using MIDI Thru to daisy chain and MIDI merge the keyboards together. The Whammy Pad has such keyboard zoning. It may be that some Programs or Combis are set up not to use the entire keyboard range, so not all notes played will sound, and it is possible to see if this is the case by looking through the Combi Edit screens. The bottom and top keys recognised by the 03R/W are in the range C1 and G9. If you have the Owner's Manual, look at the Combi Edit section starting on page 74 (in the PDF version) or page 69 in the paper version.

The manual can be downloaded from:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/372/

If the lower 26 keys don't work on any Program or Combi, look at the MIDI Indicator LEDs on the 03R/W when those keys are played. Based on the things you've done so far to get sounds out of the 03R/W, I'm guessing that all the notes that do play sounds will light the MIDI channel 1 LED. If the notes that do not play a sound illuminate a different LED, then the MIDI keyboard is zoned by MIDI channel. Setting all the keyboard notes to send on MIDI channel 1 should resolve the issue.

gillang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I did what was to be done to the A2A and A2B pages then, I lost everything. I had no more sound coming out of Global. I then went to my keyboard and did find out it was sending MIDI from the 15 channel. So, I did change it to channel 1 and it did start working. Again. I'm not home so I can't test now what happen when I press a key and no sound is played and see what happen in the MIDI display.
gillang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth... I did buy this Korg sound module hoping it will have that short entry sound from this video starting at 4:10 min. It's a long stretch since this is a M1 and it's not even sure he maybe only use it as a MIDI controller ,or it's a customized sound or it's a sound from a card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNWR-bRVJBQ

You will say: "your chance for getting that very specific sound from a video of a Korg M1 were extremely slim"! Well, I had also seen this one from a 03R/W starting at 2:10 min and it did seems pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP_5VuH1x58&t=174s

Seems the closest to that sound is A26 in the 03R/W

Last edited by gillang on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
gillang

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I bought that sound module on Wednesday. I usually play 1 hr. every day but couldn't on that day nor on Thursday so I just did test it fast. Yesterday, Friday, I had time to play so I played one hour on my keyboard and before shutting it off, I decided to plug in the Korg and check if the 26 keys that weren't working would send a message in the MIDI LED display and...the whole thing was working perfectly. I have no idea what was wrong and how it did manage to right itself. The only thing I could think of would be maybe my MIDI cable but...I have no clue. Thanks for the help!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out in the end.

With the sound quality in the first video, combined with stage acoustics, it is difficult to tell exactly, but the sound from Jon Lord's Korg M1 would almost certainly have been a string sound, with quite a slow attack, allowing the sound to swell, as the note is played. There may have been some expression pedal use, too. The M1 being played on stage by Jon has no expansion cards in it, so it may be a stock sound that Jon has modified. The M1 Program #27 called Strings, may well have formed the basis for the sound, but with modifications. Certainly none of the other stock sounds in the M1 come close. The first few bars of the piece played by Lord comes from Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings", also used for the choral version "Agnus Dei".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MHeNt6Yjs

gillang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yesterday, I did play a full hour with the Korg. Twice, I did wind-up in the same problem...the 26 keys on the left wouldn't play. I don't know what I was doing the first time it did happen but the second time, I was using my keyboard buttons to change the sounds on the Korg and that did screw it up. Not knowing exactly what to do, I just did shut it off and on again and in both cases, it did the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: