Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3.1.2 to 3.1.3 Freeze

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoC1909

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 Freeze Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have had my Kronos 2 61 since November 2017 and during these past two years I have encountered no problems at all. Since the first day I purchased it, it has never left the house and is in immaculate condition. Last night though, I decided to update the OS from v3.1.2 to v3.1.3 and that is were I ran into problems.

I followed all of the update steps found on these forums and those that Korg has stated, and about 15 seconds into the update process, I received an "error was encountered" (I can't remember the exact wording) and was told to power off the system, wait 10 seconds and then power it back on. Well, when I power it on, the system loads up to a certain point (about 30 seconds into the booting process) and the display shows "Version: Kronos 3.1.3 Initializing user interface" and then hangs. During the beginning of the boot process I can hear the fan come on but once it hangs, the fan then shuts off.

I have tried all manner of things - outside of opening the system up - and nothing will work. I purchased a USB DVD drive and once it is delivered, I will attempt to reinstall the OS but I am not holding out hope that this will work. And of course, I had a two year warranty on the unit and this happens 8 days after the warranty expires! Perhaps a bit too coincidental.

So, if anyone has any ideas that I can try, I would much appreciate it.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a 2 year warranty I’m guessing you might not be in USA. I would contact your Korg dealer and ask for assistance. If your K worked fine before your attempt to update your OS, I’m guessing some type of error occurred during the process. I know from experience that you have to follow the update instructions exactly as published. You may not have to start from scratch and reload everything. Contact Korg support for help.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the usb DVD drive and reinstall the os then update again. At some point something went wrong. Make sure to do a full format from the installation DVDs to rule out a bad SSD drive. I think you were just unlucky.

I hope there is nothing important on the SSD, if there is you may want to take the SSD out and backup your work first or get someone that knows how to do that.

You will need to reauthorize the Kronos and any sound libraries you have purchased.

You can get the re-authorization codes here when you register your Kronos there.

http://shop.korg.com/kronos and click my Kronos tab and register to get any codes it requires.
RoC1909

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
If you had a 2 year warranty I’m guessing you might not be in USA. I would contact your Korg dealer and ask for assistance. If your K worked fine before your attempt to update your OS, I’m guessing some type of error occurred during the process. I know from experience that you have to follow the update instructions exactly as published. You may not have to start from scratch and reload everything. Contact Korg support for help.

Hey Falcon. Thanks for your reply.
Yup. My Kronos worked perfectly up until a few days ago when it didn't. I was going to contact Korg support for help but I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas I hadn't thought about. I followed the directions precisely and have updated the OS before, so this leads me to believe as you said that some error that was beyond user control had taken place and had corrupt the OS. As for the warranty, I am in Sacramento, California. If my memory serves me correctly, I purchased the Kronos brand new from zZounds with the standard one year warranty. When I registered it with Korg, I received an extra year.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoC1909 wrote:
Falcon2e wrote:

Hey Falcon. Thanks for your reply.
Yup. My Kronos worked perfectly up until a few days ago when it didn't. I was going to contact Korg support for help but I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas I hadn't thought about. I followed the directions precisely and have updated the OS before, so this leads me to believe as you said that some error that was beyond user control had taken place and had corrupt the OS. As for the warranty, I am in Sacramento, California. If my memory serves me correctly, I purchased the Kronos brand new from zZounds with the standard one year warranty. When I registered it with Korg, I received an extra year.

Sounds like a corrupt 3.1.3. Your K2 doesn't like it.

Re-d/l a new 3.1.3. Use a properly formatted USB stick
RoC1909

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purgatory wrote:
Get the usb DVD drive and reinstall the os then update again. At some point something went wrong. Make sure to do a full format from the installation DVDs to rule out a bad SSD drive. I think you were just unlucky.

I hope there is nothing important on the SSD, if there is you may want to take the SSD out and backup your work first or get someone that knows how to do that.

You will need to reauthorize the Kronos and any sound libraries you have purchased.

You can get the re-authorization codes here when you register your Kronos there.

http://shop.korg.com/kronos and click my Kronos tab and register to get any codes it requires.

Hey Purgatory. Thanks for the reply.
The USB DVD drive is my next step and is the reason I haven't contacted Korg support yet. BestBuy had an ASUS drive that others have said works with the Kronos so here's to hoping that I am not one where a drive that has worked for many, didn't work for a few. And If it does work, hopefully a reinstall of the OS will be painless. As for any personal files on the SSD. Nope, none that I can't live without. For me, the Kronos is a hobby and anything I had saved to it won't be a loss to me. The one thing I do worry about are the few libraries that I have purchased and attempting to reauthorizing them. Hopefully, if/when I do get to that point, there won't be any issues.

Now, all I have to do is find those Korg disks I somehow managed to hide real well in my house Smile
RoC1909

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Sounds like a corrupt 3.1.3. Your K2 doesn't like it.

Re-d/l a new 3.1.3. Use a properly formatted USB stick

Hey Greg. Thanks for the reply. Here's a question for you. Let's just say that the 3.1.3 file I downloaded is corrupt. I thought that the only way to update the system was via the menus when the system could boot. As it is, the system hangs during startup so are you implying that I could re-download 3.1.3 and put it on a properly formatted USB drive, insert it into a USB port and the Kronos will attempt to update the system? That is something I haven't tried and if so, that is absolutely new news to me.
RoC1909

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update for others who might have this problem. Since my last post, once a day or so I would turn on the Kronos hoping that the boot hang issue I was having would resolve, but unfortunately the problem remained. After doing some research on which USB DVD drives other users had suggested that would work with the Kronos, I settled on the following:

ASUS External Slim DVD-RW (SDRW-08D2S-U)

Long story short...it worked flawlessly and my Kronos is now up and running again. If someone is wondering about the model of USB DVD to purchase that would work with the Kronos, this one worked great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: