Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper adding release time to string patch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcrockerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Damper adding release time to string patch Reply with quote

So I'm using the Slow StereoStrings patch, and every time I press and release the damper pedal it is permanently adding what seems to me to be release time to the Amp EG. However, I cannot find anything in the patch that the Damper #64 is controlling. I have to reset the patch to get rid of that dang extra release time.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't seem to be able to repeat the observation here. The nearest I can get on the Slow StereoStrings Program, is pressing the sustain pedal just after releasing a note, which leads to a prolongation of the decay of the sound. It seems more like an effect on the reverb, but the Damper input doesn't figure in the reverb parameters.

Is the damper behaving as expected on other sounds, e.g. piano, synth, brass sounds, for example?

Is the damper pedal a straight switch type, or is it a half-damper?

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Damper adding release time to string patch Reply with quote

jcrockerman wrote:
So I'm using the Slow StereoStrings patch, and every time I press and release the damper pedal it is permanently adding what seems to me to be release time to the Amp EG. However, I cannot find anything in the patch that the Damper #64 is controlling. I have to reset the patch to get rid of that dang extra release time.

So...what is your question ??
RichardTRelayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right. This happens on lots of patches and not just Kronos. I first noticed this on one of my pupil's Yamaha digital piano in a lesson focussing on pedal technique and thought it was a fault. I noticed the same thing on my own K when constructing a midi file with specific pedal points yet it sounded messy when played.

It happens on several of the pianos and is worse if you've fiddled with parameters and effects to make it sound more resonatingly authentic (yes I know - less is more!).

It seems the damper release message dutifully stops the sound, but is then trumped by envelope release time and/or effects the have time left and when the damper is reapplied bingo the previously played note continues until the end of the effect. You can easily reproduce it by playing a nice loud chord + damper staccato, then quickly release and reapply damper and listen caerfully.

If you make a basic HD1 prog playing plain piano samples, the damper works as expected - sound is chopped off guillotine precise just like my old keyboards (I love 1/2 damper).

Consider an old and/or cheap worn accoustic piano, chances are dampers will not quickly and effectively damp the strings which also creates messy sound when pedalling. Maybe this effect can be argued as making our keyboard sounds more 'authentic' and the ability to control it added to the wishlist.

I managed to 'fix' it by removing all effects but never explored the extent of which effects are affected how and when. The problem is industry wide and requires designers to enable the damper release instruction to close off all sound events generated by a particular note being played.

Just picture the fun I had trying to explain this to a 12 year old near beginner.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off half damper control (Basic/Vector tab). Problem solved.
jcrockerman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Half-pedal worked Reply with quote

well this is obviously months later, but turning off the half-damper worked...but I just noticed the same behavior in the Kronos Grand. Staccato is wonderful until the damper is pressed down (and obviously quickly released) the staccato is not nearly as "staccato". Does this happen for everyone? or do I have a pedal that might not be registering proper parameters?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a normal behavior and it would be similar on a real acoustic grand piano. You can google "half-pedaling technique" for more on the topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: