Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to restore after swapping motherboard batteries

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tomto66
Senior Member


Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 336
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: How to restore after swapping motherboard batteries Reply with quote

Hi, I need to replace the batteries on my motherboard. Would I be correct to state that the backup/restore procedure would be:
1. Do a save all
2. After battery replacement, load the PCG file

And that's it? I'm assuming that everything will stay where it was on disk, so no need to re-load all of that, right?

I'm also assuming that once loaded, the PCG data will stay in memory - no changes to be made to any preload settings, correct?

If not correct, then what/where/how?

Tx for a reaction!
_________________
Kronos X-88, Nanopad2, Tascam US122 MKii, Roli Rise 49
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Falcon2e
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 428
Location: Indiana USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned batteries. When I changed my battery last year, I only found one. As I recall, after changing the button battery, the only thing I had to do was reset the calendar and clock. You will get a message to do that. I agree with you, definitely do a save all first.
_________________
Kronos2-61, Triton Classic, Nord Stage 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 8192
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
You mentioned batteries. When I changed my battery last year, I only found one. As I recall, after changing the button battery, the only thing I had to do was reset the calendar and clock. You will get a message to do that. I agree with you, definitely do a save all first.


yeah, I was puzzled by the " Mobo battery "

The only battery I knew of was for the clock that tracks time/date . Its been many years since the topic came up.

A google should bring out the facts on the battery.
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NormC
Full Member


Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to restore after swapping motherboard batteries Reply with quote

tomto66 wrote:
Hi, I need to replace the batteries on my motherboard. Would I be correct to state that the backup/restore procedure would be:
1. Do a save all
2. After battery replacement, load the PCG file

And that's it? I'm assuming that everything will stay where it was on disk, so no need to re-load all of that, right?

I'm also assuming that once loaded, the PCG data will stay in memory - no changes to be made to any preload settings, correct?

If not correct, then what/where/how?

Tx for a reaction!

The battery is motherboard date and time. It does not affect your PCG.
_________________
Kronos 2 73
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geoelectro
Platinum Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Posts: 974
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave it on while changing the battery nothing changes. Just be careful as usual.

Geo
_________________
Kronos 61 : 3GB RAM 120GB 2nd Drv.
Kronos 2 61
Synthesizers.com Custom Modular
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 8192
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
If you leave it on while changing the battery nothing changes. Just be careful as usual.

Geo


no chance of shock, with Kronos on, the bottom cover off, tipped upside down, while touching components ?
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Xenophile
Full Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
geoelectro wrote:
If you leave it on while changing the battery nothing changes. Just be careful as usual.

Geo


no chance of shock, with Kronos on, the bottom cover off, tipped upside down, while touching components ?


Yes, there is a chance of shock. Also a greater chance of accidentally shorting something and seriously damaging your Kronos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 8192
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
GregC wrote:
geoelectro wrote:
If you leave it on while changing the battery nothing changes. Just be careful as usual.

Geo


no chance of shock, with Kronos on, the bottom cover off, tipped upside down, while touching components ?


Yes, there is a chance of shock. Also a greater chance of accidentally shorting something and seriously damaging your Kronos.


thats what I would think

Keeping the upside down Kronos powered off plus the power cable disconnected would avoid the 'perfect storm '.
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
geoelectro
Platinum Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Posts: 974
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
geoelectro wrote:
If you leave it on while changing the battery nothing changes. Just be careful as usual.

Geo


no chance of shock, with Kronos on, the bottom cover off, tipped upside down, while touching components ?

The battery is 3V. The highest voltage on the MB is 5V. I doubt that would hurt you. I do it all the time as a technician.

Geo
_________________
Kronos 61 : 3GB RAM 120GB 2nd Drv.
Kronos 2 61
Synthesizers.com Custom Modular
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Xenophile
Full Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
no chance of shock, with Kronos on, the bottom cover off, tipped upside down, while touching components ?
The battery is 3V. The highest voltage on the MB is 5V. I doubt that would hurt you. I do it all the time as a technician.

Geo


I'm not sure how well-protected the power supply board is. Would someone who isn't familiar with working inside an open chassis know which boards might be carrying high voltage?

Also, even as an experienced technician, have you never accidentally dropped a screw or a tool into a chassis? That can get exciting if the machine is powered up.

Here's a typical day at work for me Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 8192
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
geoelectro wrote:
no chance of shock, with Kronos on, the bottom cover off, tipped upside down, while touching components ?
The battery is 3V. The highest voltage on the MB is 5V. I doubt that would hurt you. I do it all the time as a technician.

Geo


I'm not sure how well-protected the power supply board is. Would someone who isn't familiar with working inside an open chassis know which boards might be carrying high voltage?

Also, even as an experienced technician, have you never accidentally dropped a screw or a tool into a chassis? That can get exciting if the machine is powered up.

Here's a typical day at work for me Smile
m/w1mi0V4.jpg[/img]


thats an exciting job ! No risk or problem there, not even a little Wink

The only shock I am interested in is from my cardiologist to reverse my Afib.
Very Happy
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Xenophile
Full Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
No risk or problem there, not even a little Wink

As far as personal safety goes, the biggest risk in that mess is getting your finger in the exposed fan on the mobo to the right. The high voltages are all in the enclosed power supplies. But drop a screw onto one of those live boards and you're likely to get a fireworks show, and have some explaining to do!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group