Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Third SSD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandelume

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Third SSD Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Johannes Arnstadt wrote:
Hi, is there a possibility to install a third SSD into the Kronos X?

YEs, it's easy to do with a SATA to USB adapter (here is one : USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter, BENFEI USB to SSD Adapter)

Then, you just have to connect it to one of the Kronos USB input.

And before using the SSD should be formatted by Kronos in disk mode?
Will it format it in FAT 16 or 32? Also, such adapters are supported by Win and Mac OS only, but Kronos runs Linux, no problem?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter of whatever adapter you will connect , Kronos USB port is using old USB 2 protocol , but except that the most important is
that any USB protocol is a packet per bit communication , which means that you can't stream samples via this port , so it's only for storage
usage and I know that a fast USB 3 flash drive like those I use , are already pretty fast without any adapter strictly for storage stuff !

You can still load custom samples from it directly to Ram but you can't load saved _UserBank.KSC file in streaming mode except if samples
are kept in valid SSDs, like factory EXs resources.

I haven't tried it but a SATA splitter might works in this Linux version OS.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Pandelume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
No matter of whatever adapter you will connect , Kronos USB port is using old USB 2 protocol , but except that the most important is
that any USB protocol is a packet per bit communication , which means that you can't stream samples via this port , so it's only for storage
usage and I know that a fast USB 3 flash drive like those I use , are already pretty fast without any adapter strictly for storage stuff !

You can still load custom samples from it directly to Ram but you can't load saved _UserBank.KSC file in streaming mode except if samples
are kept in valid SSDs, like factory EXs resources.

I haven't tried it but a SATA splitter might works in this Linux version OS.

So there is no real use to apply a SATA splitter with a SSD, same speed as if i just use a USB SSD? Because Kronos is all about USB 2.0.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandelume wrote:

So there is no real use to apply a SATA splitter with a SSD, same speed as if i just use a USB SSD? Because Kronos is all about USB 2.0.

Nope ... a sata splitter will work (if works) internally with motherboard Sata port not USB port/protocol.

A fast USB 3 flash drive like my Sandisk Extreme 64Gb works with almost the same speed with factory Kronos SSD , but the usage is only for storage purposes.
You can't benefit the speed of a latest SSD in Kronos , booting & saving time will not be altered with this 32b Linux Kernel , that's why a fast USB 3 flash drive
(with compatibility to 2 protocol) , can approach Kronos SSD operation read/write speed.

For instance in Korg Pa4X , this flash drive is twice faster than internal HD !
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=739670&sid=8754f39527a6ea358e2558956f1a4a29

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: