Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling my K one of the best decisions I’ve made - read on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Selling my K one of the best decisions I’ve made - read on Reply with quote

Because........

It’s made me realise I can’t do without it.....

So.......

I bought another Kronos 2 secondhand! Cool

I was going to wait for the “Next Kronos” but who knows when that might be ??

It’s simply the most complete workstation on the planet !

Greg, I’m back ! Like you, I use my Kronos a lot for sequencing! Smile

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic, brother !

And That is 1 heckuva rig you have Smile
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
fantastic, brother !

And That is 1 heckuva rig you have Smile

They all compliment each other nicely !

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
chini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: K is still king for sure! Reply with quote

Still have mine! (Hi Greg C! been a long time! Wink )

I would be surprised if Korg replace the K with some new design to try and better the K. Firstly it has no real competition from the other manufacturers when you consider its "master of all trades" capability. Secondly I think Korg realise that when you make such a profoundly comprehensive product its generally futile to try and persuade so many owners of that product to upgrade to the new model unless the new design really does up the anti in all respects!

There are more Kronos owners out there than any other!
Not only is the K the top dog for its wealth of sounds and instruments, sequencing, recording etc but take away all that it is in fact the most comprehensive midi master controller keyboard on the planet! What other master keyboard enables you to split the keyboard into 16 external midi zones?! plus assign whatever controllers you want to be sent out respectfully on each of those zones to the hardware or software synths/fx units/ vocal processors etc of your choice?! The only functionality it doesn't have and this is something you can read about elsewhere on this forum is that you can't allow the actual release of keys or the sustain pedal to relay a pre hit patch change in the setlist.

Apart from this it really is a live players dream!

Something that I've been doing for years is to feed all software synths back into the K via optical cable to give the FOH a simple stereo feed! The K can take its digital clocking from the incoming cable too as long as your VIs are playing back at 48kHz. Further to this you could even feed a sub mix of your hardware synths into it if you wish!

Since buying mine in 2012 the K is still a joy to use and although I probably exhaust its capabilities more than most I am still discovering new tricks to its bow!

Always be true to yourself
chini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: K is still king for sure! Reply with quote

Still have mine! (Hi Greg C! been a long time! Wink )

I would be surprised if Korg replace the K with some new design to try and better the K. Firstly it has no real competition from the other manufacturers when you consider its "master of all trades" capability. Secondly I think Korg realise that when you make such a profoundly comprehensive product its generally futile to try and persuade so many owners of that product to upgrade to the new model unless the new design really does up the anti in all respects!

There are more Kronos owners out there than any other!
Not only is the K the top dog for its wealth of sounds and instruments, sequencing, recording etc but take away all that it is in fact the most comprehensive midi master controller keyboard on the planet! What other master keyboard enables you to split the keyboard into 16 external midi zones?! plus assign whatever controllers you want to be sent out respectfully on each of those zones to the hardware or software synths/fx units/ vocal processors etc of your choice?! The only functionality it doesn't have and this is something you can read about elsewhere on this forum is that you can't allow the actual release of keys or the sustain pedal to relay a pre hit patch change in the setlist.

Apart from this it really is a live players dream!

Something that I've been doing for years is to feed all software synths back into the K via optical cable to give the FOH a simple stereo feed! The K can take its digital clocking from the incoming cable too as long as your VIs are playing back at 48kHz. Further to this you could even feed a sub mix of your hardware synths into it if you wish!

Since buying mine in 2012 the K is still a joy to use and although I probably exhaust its capabilities more than most I am still discovering new tricks to its bow!

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Henri, great to hear from you. I have always admired your work, compositional approach. Impressed by how you utilize Kronos.

I have bookmarked your page, am enjoying the film score and orchestral compositions.

I am not in your league ! Anyway, here are 2 examples of my approach on my SoundCloud:

Floating in a Cloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/floating-in-a-cloudwav

You Only Live Twice [ John Barry }
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/you-only-livewav

YOLT is a late 60's James Bond movie. I am an admirer of John Barry.
I consolidated the score into my 5 minute 'cover'.

The two above, and really, all my songs are 100% Kronos.

I agree with all your points on Kronos. Great minds think alike, LOL.

However, Korg is in the business of new products. My wild guess is that there is a 60% chance Korg will try to impress us with a music production synthesizer by January NAMM.

That said, if nothing by them, I am leaning towards the new Fantom , next year, as the center piece of my new music production.

Great choices for all of us.
chini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: New Roland Fantom Reply with quote

Hey! Greg!

Sounds like you are having fun still with the K!

I just had a look at a number of in depth videos on the new Fantom plus a quick read of the manuals and I must say it's not for me!

Generally I find Roland sonically sounds more commercial and somehow less musical. Having said that it is of course personal taste! I've always found their pianos a little too precise somehow in their overall vibe- in fact "precise" is how I would describe the overall vibe of the Fantom sonically. Controller wise they have obviously studied the Kronos and implemented a similar master controllability for the live player. However ironically they too have not added the patch changing delayed relay trick they actually invented that keeps me using their A-50 still on stage even though they have copied the Ks SST capability.

The only area where it has moved on from the Kronos is the integration with DAW but who really needs that?!

When Korg do eventually replace the Kronos it will most likely blast the Fantom out the water (again!) but its unlikely I would swap mine for the new model as it would involve an enormous amount of reprogramming!

It is indeed exciting times in music tech but as I always say it's 100% about the content of the music one is using these instruments for that counts! As technology marches inevitably forward like when one enters into a fishing tackle shop: there's more kit to catch anglers than fish!

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roland Fantom Reply with quote

chini wrote:
Hey! Greg!

Sounds like you are having fun still with the K!

I just had a look at a number of in depth videos on the new Fantom plus a quick read of the manuals and I must say it's not for me!

Generally I find Roland sonically sounds more commercial and somehow less musical. Having said that it is of course personal taste! I've always found their pianos a little too precise somehow in their overall vibe- in fact "precise" is how I would describe the overall vibe of the Fantom sonically. Controller wise they have obviously studied the Kronos and implemented a similar master controllability for the live player. However ironically they too have not added the patch changing delayed relay trick they actually invented that keeps me using their A-50 still on stage even though they have copied the Ks SST capability.

The only area where it has moved on from the Kronos is the integration with DAW but who really needs that?!

When Korg do eventually replace the Kronos it will most likely blast the Fantom out the water (again!) but its unlikely I would swap mine for the new model as it would involve an enormous amount of reprogramming!

It is indeed exciting times in music tech but as I always say it's 100% about the content of the music one is using these instruments for that counts! As technology marches inevitably forward like when one enters into a fishing tackle shop: there's more kit to catch anglers than fish!

hah, thats funny metaphor, we are fish for the keyboard/electronic co's.

I agree, Korg has the talent or had the talent to create that next generation music production keyboard. Should be fun if they make it happen

I have similar issues in migrating from Kronos to another new board. All that programming , for me +60 song files, etc etc.

we discussed Fantom thoroughly here, last month or in Sept. Like you, I enjoyed/watched many videos. I like Rolands 'polished ' sound. Its true, you hear that audio character almost everywhere for years. I felt the same about MOTIF.

I don't exactly have $4000 to throw around today. I can wait for January.
I see Fantom as an excellent song writing tool. I think I am up for the challenge on their approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: